EPL

Mourinho admits Spurs have no Kane replacement

By Sports Desk January 05, 2020

Jose Mourinho said neither Lucas Moura nor Son Heung-Min are adequate replacements for injured striker Harry Kane after watching his Tottenham side draw 1-1 at Middlesbrough in the FA Cup.

Lucas scored a second-half header to level the match at the Riverside Stadium, where an Ashley Fletcher strike had put Middlesbrough ahead in a game that left Mourinho "frustrated".

Tottenham are without a win in their last three games in all competitions and Mourinho said injuries to Kane, Tanguy NDombele, Hugo Lloris and Danny Rose were hampering his side's progress.

After starting the game with Son as a lone striker and later moving Lucas up alongside him in a front two, Mourinho told reporters: "We have what we have and we stick with them. The boys did what they can.

"You cannot transform Lucas or Son in a number nine like Harry Kane."

"We changed things and took our risks. Our team in the last 30 minutes we didn't even have a midfield player," added Mourinho, referring to his decision to replace Harry Winks and Ryan Sessegnon with Giovani Lo Celso and Erik Lamela.

"We played with six attacking players without a striker. We took our risks."

Tottenham are sixth in the Premier League despite having lost three and drawn one of their last seven games in the competition, and Mourinho admitted the cup brought little respite on a frustrating afternoon.

Away form is a particular problem for the Portuguese coach, whose side have won two of their seven games on the road since he took charge on November 20, and he said earning a replay on home turf against Middlesbrough was no disaster.

"Sometimes the same way players are frustrated on the pitch, I was frustrated on the touchline," said Mourinho. "Everyone in the stadium had a real cup match.

"It was a difficult match. If football was about how many times you arrive in scoring positions, we would win by a huge score.

"1-1 is not a disaster. We take the game home. We are in trouble with so many injuries. I took the players today that are available."

Related items

  • West Brom go top as Wigan and Boro boost survival hopes West Brom go top as Wigan and Boro boost survival hopes

    West Brom went top of the Championship on Wednesday, while Wigan Athletic and Middlesbrough gained key wins at the other end of the table.

    The Baggies moved above Leeds United, and went five points clear of third-placed Brentford, with a 2-0 victory over Derby County, who saw their play-off hopes dented by the loss.

    Grady Diangana and Dara O'Shea scored in either half for West Brom before Rams youngster Louie Sibley was harshly sent off in stoppage time for violent conduct.

    Derby slipped below Swansea City, who went up to seventh courtesy of a 3-1 win at Birmingham City, with Liverpool loanee Rhian Brewster taking his tally to eight goals in 16 Championship games.

    Middlesbrough won for the second time in four games since Neil Warnock was appointed as manager, Britt Assombalonga and Ashley Fletcher on target in a 2-0 success at Millwall.

    Wigan, who could yet incur a 12-point penalty having gone into administration last week, climbed eight points away clear of danger for now thanks to Kieffer Moore's first-half strike in a 1-0 victory over QPR.

    Elsewhere, Bristol City beat Hull City - who are in the relegation zone - 2-1 and Preston North End came from behind to defeat Sheffield Wednesday 3-1.

  • Patric to miss Juve game as Lazio defender gets four-game ban Patric to miss Juve game as Lazio defender gets four-game ban

    Lazio defender Patric has been hit with a four-game suspension following his red card during Tuesday's 2-1 defeat to Lecce.

    The Spaniard was dismissed by referee Fabio Maresca in stoppage time of the Serie A fixture, having been deemed to bite Lecce's Giulio Donati on the arm.

    Felipe Caicedo had scored an early opener for Lazio on the road, only for the struggling hosts to turn the game around thanks to goals from Khouma Babacar and Fabio Lucioni either side of half-time.

    The result was a further blow to Simone Inzaghi's squad in their pursuit of the title, though table-topping Juventus also suffered a surprise defeat in the late kick-off, going down 4-2 at Milan.

    Lazio will now have to do without Patric for upcoming games against Sassuolo, Udinese and Cagliari, as well as the crunch clash with Juve on July 20. 

    The disciplinary commission also handed down a €10,000 fine and he was not the only Lazio player to be punished.

    Team-mate Ciro Immobile must fork out €1,500 for his protests as captain, while goalscorer Caicedo was given a €2,000 fine following a yellow card in the first half for simulation.

  • Conte urges Inter to use 'bitterness' and bounce back from Bologna loss Conte urges Inter to use 'bitterness' and bounce back from Bologna loss

    Antonio Conte called on his Inter players to channel their "bitterness and disappointment" in a positive way when they face Hellas Verona on Thursday.

    The Nerazzurri suffered their first Serie A loss since the resumption of the season on Sunday when they conceded two late goals to be defeated 2-1 by Bologna.

    Conte's side cannot afford many such slip-ups given leaders Juventus have an 11-point advantage over third-placed Inter, though Milan's win over the reigning champions on Monday has given the chasing pack hope.

    Inter can cut that gap to eight points with seven to play and Conte wants to see a response.

    "We're putting the game against Bologna behind us and preparing for the game against Verona," he told Inter TV.

    "In times like these, the fact that our next game is so soon is actually a positive, because we'll certainly still be feeling a bit of bitterness and disappointment, but at the same time you have to focus on your next match, which in this case is a big fixture against a very strong side in Hellas Verona."

    Despite the result against Bologna - in which both sides had men sent off in the second half - Conte has been encouraged by the statistics from his team's past five league games.

    Since the Serie A campaign restarted in June following the coronavirus-enforced break, Inter have scored the joint-most goals in the league, with 14, and have the highest ball-possession figures with 61.8 per cent.

    "These figures are certainly promising, and they're testament to the fact that every time we step out onto the pitch, we look to set the tempo and dominate the game," Conte added.

    "What's more, the fact that Inter are one of the top sides in the league when it comes to creating chances in the opposition area shows that we've put in some excellent performances.

    "But, at the end of the day, we've got to make sure that these performances are translated into good results."

    Inter will welcome Milan Skriniar back from a ban on Thursday but Danilo D'Ambrosio and Alessandro Bastoni will miss out through suspension.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.