Calvert-Lewin: Working under Ancelotti is a privilege

By Sports Desk January 04, 2020

Dominic Calvert-Lewin said it is "privilege" to work with Carlo Ancelotti in an "unbelievable time" for Everton with the Italian in charge.

Ancelotti took over as manager before Christmas after Marco Silva was sacked early in December following a dismal Merseyside derby defeat which left the club in the Premier League relegation zone.

Everton face another trip to Anfield on Sunday, with runaway Premier League leaders Liverpool their opponents in the third round of the FA Cup.

The Toffees won their first two matches under Ancelotti before going down 2-1 to Manchester City on New Year's Day and Calvert-Lewin is thrilled to play under a manager of Ancelotti's calibre.

"He is one of biggest managers in the world and as a young kid growing up you saw him on TV working at some of biggest clubs," the striker, who scored three goals in Ancelotti's first two games at the helm, told BBC Sport.

"To have him here now, when you first see him you are little taken aback. He has a presence about him. That is just from the man he is and what he has done in football.

"To be working with him on a daily basis is a privilege. He is a man who knows how to win things and knows how to work with great players.

"As a club these are exciting times. To have a manager to have done what he has done in the game, you can't be anything but excited.

"It is an unbelievable time to be an Everton fan and an Everton player. I am looking forward to what the future holds."

Everton last won a Merseyside derby in 2010, and have not beat their local rivals at Anfield since September 1999, but Calvert-Lewin is hoping to change that dismal record this weekend.

"We want to be the first to make it happen and change that," Calvert-Lewin added.

Related items

  • Rumour Has It: Haaland, Mane top targets for Real Madrid Rumour Has It: Haaland, Mane top targets for Real Madrid

    Real Madrid are reportedly preparing for a rebuild and Erling Haaland and Sadio Mane are their top transfer targets.

    The LaLiga club appear set for a busy close season amid links to numerous players.

    While Arsenal forward Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang is said to be a target, it seems Madrid have other priorities.

     

    TOP STORY – HAALAND, MANE TOP TARGETS FOR REAL MADRID

    Borussia Dortmund forward Haaland and Liverpool star Mane are Real Madrid's top targets, according to the Daily Express.

    The report says Aubameyang is also wanted at the Santiago Bernabeu, but is behind Haaland and Mane.

    Real Madrid were two points behind LaLiga leaders Barcelona when the season was suspended due to the coronavirus pandemic.

    ROUND-UP

    - Staying at Real Madrid and the LaLiga giants are tracking Sao Paulo midfielder Igor Gomes, according to AS. A Brazil youth international, Gomes, 21, has been compared to former AC Milan star Kaka.

    - Ousmane Dembele is seemingly unwanted at Barcelona and could be set for a move. Sport reports Liverpool and Jurgen Klopp want Dembele, who has struggled with injuries since joining the LaLiga club.

    - Barcelona are continuing their bid to land Lautaro Martinez. Sport claims left-back Junior Firpo could be part of a deal to bring the Inter star to Camp Nou. It says Inter, and Roma, are interested in the left-back and Barca would want the €18million they paid Real Betis for Junior last year.

    - Manchester United could be set to make a big move this close season. The Daily Star reports the Premier League club are confident of landing Atletico Madrid midfielder Saul Niguez for a club-record £135m (€150.8m).

    - Perhaps Manchester United had another target. However, Sport says Real Madrid have told United that midfielder Federico Valverde is worth his incredible release clause – £448m (€500m).

    - Henrikh Mkhitaryan is loving life in Rome. The Daily Mail reports the midfielder, who is on loan at Roma from Arsenal, wants to stay at the club and hopes they can agree to a €11.2m (£10m) deal.

  • Coronavirus: Pogba says Man Utd want to get back to winning trophies Coronavirus: Pogba says Man Utd want to get back to winning trophies

    Manchester United star Paul Pogba said the Red Devils want to get back to playing and winning trophies.

    The Premier League and sport across the world have been brought to a standstill due to the coronavirus pandemic.

    There have been more than 33,900 deaths globally, with over 720,200 confirmed cases.

    Amid the lockdown in the United Kingdom, Pogba – who has been linked to former club Juventus and LaLiga giants Real Madrid – had a message for United fans.

    "Stay at home - stay safe," Pogba said in a video call with team-mate Jesse Lingard via the club's official website. "Keep supporting United.

    "Hopefully things will get better very soon and we will get back to the game.

    "Hopefully we can show you guys we are ready and we want to go back to win trophies.

    "Stay connected, stay safe and we'll be back on the pitch soon."

    Pogba, who has been rehabilitating from an ankle injury, also discussed United's 2017 Europa League triumph under former manager Jose Mourinho.

    "I was so happy because that was what we wanted," he said. "At the start of the season we wanted to win this and it meant we went through to the Champions League [the following season].

    "It was our second trophy of the year and I was really happy. That's what Manchester United is about: winning trophies."

    United were fifth in the Premier League prior to the postponement, three points behind fourth-placed Chelsea through 29 matches.

  • Tottenham allow Son and Bergwijn to return home Tottenham allow Son and Bergwijn to return home

    Tottenham duo Son Heung-min and Steven Bergwijn have been allowed to return to their home countries for personal reasons while the Premier League season is suspended due to the coronavirus pandemic.

    The club released a statement confirming that Son has travelled to South Korea, while Bergwijn is in the Netherlands awaiting the birth of his child.

    Bergwijn has been in recovery from an ankle injury since Tottenham's 1-1 draw with Burnley on March 7, with the club saying he will do rehabilitation work while with his family.

    Son has scored nine goals in 21 Premier League appearances this season but has not played since scoring a brace in a 3-2 victory over Aston Villa in February.

    He fractured his right arm during the win at Villa Park and will continue his recovery in South Korea.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.