EPL

Nuno hails 'relentless' Wolves after Man City victory

By Sports Desk December 27, 2019

A proud Nuno Espirito Santo hailed his "relentless" Wolves team after a 3-2 win over Manchester City in the Premier League on Friday.

Wolves found themselves 2-0 behind at the Molineux after Raheem Sterling's brace followed Ederson's 12th-minute red card for City.

However, they fought back and goals from Adama Traore, Raul Jimenez and Matt Doherty saw them stun City and climb into fifth in the table.

Nuno lauded his team for their fight as they moved to within eight points of third-placed City.

"We are relentless and will keep on going, it doesn't matter what happens, we want to compete," the Wolves head coach said, via the club's website.

"Of course, they were blocking our game, on our right side, but most important was staying in the game. Conceding the second goal makes the task very hard, it's a very good team, but we played good, nice goals.

"We had to stay in the game. We got punished with one mistake in the second half, when we didn't press well, but we reacted very good.

"The way we achieved the goals was very good, the way we reacted, the way we kept players with so much quality under pressure – it requires a lot of effort."

Nuno, whose team visit league leaders Liverpool on Sunday, was proud of Wolves' second-half performance.

"No matter what the result, I must be proud of the way the players played. We made mistakes, but let's be fair to the game, everything changes when City have one man less," he said.

"We had much more of the ball but had to find solutions. Second half we reacted, played the way we want to do things, combining one side to the other, one versus one in the wide areas, and I'm delighted."

Related items

  • Liverpool announce £42m pre-tax profits despite record £223m spend on players Liverpool announce £42m pre-tax profits despite record £223m spend on players

    Liverpool have announced pre-tax profits of £42million for the financial period ending May 31, 2019, despite a club-record spend on players.

    The club's turnover increased by £78m to £533m thanks to rises in media, commercial and match revenue.

    A new Champions League broadcasting deal and the team's second-place finish in the Premier League under Jurgen Klopp last year also boosted profits.

    Their Champions League triumph in 2018-19 is expected to be included in the next set of financial results.

    The positive figures come despite a club-record £223m spend on the signings of Alisson, Naby Keita, Fabinho and Xherdan Shaqiri, as well as 11 new contracts for established first-team players.

    Liverpool, who became champions of Europe for the sixth time last June, are seventh in the Deloitte Football Money League, a rise of two places from the previous financial year.

    Andy Hughes, Liverpool's chief operating officer, said via the club's website: "This continued strengthening of the underlying financial sustainability of the club is enabling us to make significant investments both in player recruitment and infrastructure.

    "Being able to reinvest over £220m on players during this financial period is a result of a successful business strategy, particularly the significant uplift in commercial revenues.

    "The cost of football, however, does continue to rise in transfers and associated fees but what's critical for us is the consistency of our financial position, enabling us to live within our means and continue to run a sustainable football club."

    The club have also boasted of six million more social media engagements than any other Premier League club during the 2018-19 season, while they say investment in the new training base at Kirkby and further planned expansion of Anfield is testament to the support of owners Fenway Sport Group.

    "What we're seeing is sustained growth across all areas of the club, which is aligned to the recent performance on the pitch," said Hughes. "There is more work to do and, importantly, we will continue our dialogue with all key stakeholders, including local residents, businesses and community groups.

    "These financial results and this sustained period of solid growth is testament to our ownership, Fenway Sport Group, who continue to support the club's ambitions and continue to reinvest revenues both in strengthening the playing squad and the club's infrastructure to build for the future."

  • Premier League to launch hall of fame Premier League to launch hall of fame

    The Premier League has announced plans to launch a new hall of fame to recognise past stars of the competition.

    England's top flight will reveal the first inductees on March 19, when a shortlist of further nominees will be released, allowing fans the chance to vote for their preferred choices.

    In a statement, the Premier League said the hall of fame "will recognise and celebrate the exceptional skill and talent of players who have graced the competition since its inception in 1992".

    It added: "Membership of the Premier League Hall of Fame will be the highest individual honour awarded to players by the league."

    Only players who are retired will be eligible for a place in the hall of fame, while only their career in that division will be taken into account when assessing a candidate.

    Premier League chief executive Richard Masters said: "Since 1992, the Premier League has been home to world-class players who have defined generations and provided us with compelling football season after season.

    "A place in the Premier League Hall of Fame is reserved for the very best. It will be an occasion for our fans around the world to look back over the years and help us celebrate some truly exceptional playing careers."

  • Rumour Has It: Liverpool offer Werner five-year deal Rumour Has It: Liverpool offer Werner five-year deal

    Liverpool appear to be getting closer to completing a deal for RB Leipzig star Timo Werner.

    Werner, 23, has been linked with a move to Anfield after a prolific season with the Bundesliga side.

    Now, it seems the Germany forward is continuing to take step towards joining the European champions.

     

    TOP STORY – LIVERPOOL OFFER WERNER FIVE-YEAR DEAL

    Liverpool have offered Werner a contract until 2025 worth £6.8million (€8m) a season plus bonuses, according La Gazzetta dello Sport journalist Nicolo Schira.

    The Premier League club are reportedly ready to pay Werner's release clause of £49m (€58m) before April.

    Werner, who recently spoke glowingly about the Premier League club, has 27 goals in 33 games in all competitions this season.

    ROUND-UP

    - Manchester United are backing Ole Gunnar Solskjaer. The Sun reports United are preparing a £250m spending spree amid links to the likes of Borussia Dortmund midfielder Jadon Sancho, Aston Villa's Jack Grealish and Leicester City's James Maddison.

    - Coming out of contract at the end of the season, Jan Vertonghen seems set to leave Tottenham. The Evening Standard reports Inter have contacted the defender about a potential move.

    - Could Marcelo Bielsa be set to leave Leeds United? ElDesmarque reports Real Betis have contacted the Argentinian about his situation, with Leeds chasing promotion to the Premier League.

    - Looking to strengthen their defence, Chelsea have made RB Leipzig defender Dayot Upamecano their number one transfer target, according to the Mirror.

    - Amid some criticism of Real Madrid over their decision to let Theo Hernandez leave for Milan in July, CalcioMercato reports the 22-year-old Frenchman is happy at the Serie A club, where he has starred this season.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.