I don't need a pat on the back from the board – Jardim keeping his cool amid uncertain Monaco future

By Sports Desk December 19, 2019

Monaco coach Leonardo Jardim insists he remains calm over his future at the Ligue 1 club, despite his position seemingly being under threat.

Jardim is in his second spell in charge of Monaco, having previously guided the side to the league title and a Champions League semi-final in 2016-17.

His first stint came to an end in October 2018, when he was sacked with Monaco languishing in the lower reaches of Ligue 1.

However, Jardim was back at the club in January, replacing his successor Thierry Henry, who had failed to improve results.

Monaco sit ninth in Ligue 1 after 17 games in 2019-20, having won seven matches and suffered six defeats, leading to reports that Jardim is in line to lose his position.

Yet the 45-year-old claims he is not feeling the pressure and does not need the public support of Monaco's board or the media. 

"It's an issue that concerns all coaches. All coaches are in danger. I'm not the one who should be taking stock," Jardim told a news conference ahead of Monaco's meeting with Lille on Saturday.

"It's my job and my staff's job to work every week to achieve our goals. I'm calm all year round.

"I didn't come here with a bottle of champagne when we qualified for the Champions League semi-finals or when we'd just won the trophy. We stayed on the podium four years in a row.

"Today, I'm not coming here with my head down either. It's my work and my personality. I've been in the job for 20 years now. I don't need to have a pat on the back by the board every week telling me that they love what I am doing.

"The board asked me to come back. I serve the club. We're in the process of building a new team. It is enough for me. I do not need the media or the board to give me a pat on the back."

Monaco midfielder Tiemoue Bakayoko, meanwhile, says it is the players who must improve, not Jardim.

"It's a shame! The fan shouldn’t ask for Jardim's resignation because we are the ones on the pitch. The players are the biggest culprits," Bakayoko said.

"The coach did amazing things for the club and proved himself already and we didn't return the favour on the pitch. It's a shame but I can understand the fans as we did offer a very poor performance [in a 3-0 loss to Lille in the Coupe de la Ligue].

"I can understand that the fans are lacking patience. We are all supporting the coach. We are the main culprits; we are not doing enough.

"We can obviously hear everything that is being said about the coach. We're all behind him. The best way to support him is to win games and perform well on the pitch."

Related items

  • Coronavirus: PFA claims 30 per cent player pay cut would harm UK government services Coronavirus: PFA claims 30 per cent player pay cut would harm UK government services

    The Professional Footballers' Association (PFA) claims "essential public services" would lose important revenue if players take the 30 per cent pay cut proposed by Premier League clubs.

    Highly-paid stars have come under increasing public pressure to commit to a wage reduction after the coronavirus pandemic brought England's top flight to a halt until at least May.

    Liverpool on Saturday joined Tottenham, Newcastle United, Norwich City and Bournemouth in placing a number of non-playing staff on furlough. The scheme sees the United Kingdom government cover 80 per cent of an individual's wages up to the value of £2,500.

    Health secretary Matt Hancock called on footballers to "play their part" and Premier League clubs agreed at a meeting on Friday to approach them over a pay cut.

    No agreement was reached with the PFA, which suggested it was not the right approach, mooting that services such as the National Health Service (NHS) could suffer a financial blow.

    However, the players' union stated a "substantial contribution" will be made once talks have been concluded.

    The PFA's statement read: "The players are mindful that as PAYE [pay as you earn] employees, the combined tax on their salaries is a significant contribution to funding essential public services - which are especially critical at this time.

    "Taking a 30 per cent salary deduction will cost the Exchequer substantial sums. This would be detrimental to our NHS and other government-funded services.

    "The proposed 30 per cent salary deduction over a 12-month period equates to over £500m in wage reductions and a loss in tax contributions of over £200m to the government.

    "What effect does this loss of earning to the government mean for the NHS? Was this considered in the Premier League proposal and did the health secretary, Matt Hancock, factor this in when asking players to take a salary cut?

    "We welcomed the opportunity to discuss this with the Premier League today and we are happy to continue talks.

    "It is our priority to finalise the precise details of our commitment as soon as possible. However, to achieve a collective position for all Premier League players - of which there are many different financial and contractual circumstances from club-to-club - will take a bit more time. 

    "The PFA Charity has also agreed to make a substantial contribution to a player-led initiative once the details are finalised.

    "There should be no doubting the players and captains are committed to achieving this as soon as possible. They recognise their role in wider society and what they need to do, as a group, to help and support others."

    The PFA also claimed the Premier League's decision to advance £125million to EFL and National League clubs and donate £20m to the NHS and other charitable causes was insufficient.

    "£20m is welcome, but we believe it could be far bigger," said the statement.

    "The EFL money is an advance. Importantly, it will aid cashflow in the immediate, but football needs to find a way to increase funding to the EFL and non-league clubs in the long-term.

    "Many clubs require an increase in funding just to survive. We believe in our football pyramid and again stress the need for solidarity between all clubs."

    The statement added that players want to ensure their financial contributions support clubs, players and staff at all levels of the football pyramid and the NHS, whose workers it called "the real heroes".

  • Coronavirus: Liverpool slammed by former Red Carragher over furlough decision Coronavirus: Liverpool slammed by former Red Carragher over furlough decision

    Jamie Carragher has blasted Liverpool for their decision to place staff impacted by the Premier League suspension on furlough, suggesting the move loses the club "respect and goodwill".

    Members of the workforce that are affected can claim 80 per cent of their wages – up to £2,500 a month – from the United Kingdom government, though Liverpool will top up any shortfall in their pay.

    The Reds announced these measures on Saturday, with Tottenham, Newcastle United, Norwich City and Bournemouth all previously taking advantage of the government scheme.

    Other clubs have been criticised for furloughing non-playing staff, with detractors suggesting clubs owned by wealthy individuals or companies should not be getting assistance from the British taxpayer to cover wage costs.

    In Carragher's opinion, Liverpool's decision has seen them lose much of the respect Jurgen Klopp and players had earned the club for their behaviour and attitudes earlier in the crisis, with Jordan Henderson reportedly spearheading an attempt from Premier League players to raise funds for the National Health Service.

    Writing on his official Twitter account, Carragher said: "Jurgen Klopp showed compassion for all at the start of this pandemic, senior players heavily involved in Premier League players taking wage cuts.

    "Then all that respect and goodwill is lost, poor this @LFC."

    The Premier League announced on Friday it will not resume action in early May as had previously been planned.

  • Ireland make early Kenny appointment as McCarthy steps down Ireland make early Kenny appointment as McCarthy steps down

    Stephen Kenny has replaced Mick McCarthy as Republic of Ireland manager, the Football Association of Ireland (FAI) announced on Saturday.

    The former Dundalk boss was primed to take the helm after Euro 2020, but the postponement of that tournament to next year amid the coronavirus pandemic has forced the FAI's hand.

    Ireland face Slovakia in the play-offs for the continental competition, but that tie is also subject to an indefinite delay.

    McCarthy, whose contract was due to expire on July 31, has therefore stepped aside early, with Under-21s boss Kenny officially taking on the role earlier than his previous start date of August 1.

    "The Football Association of Ireland announces that Mick McCarthy is to be succeeded as national team manager by Stephen Kenny with immediate effect," read a statement from the governing body.

    "The handover has been agreed with both men in light of the delay to the European Championship play-offs caused by the COVID-19 pandemic.

    "Mick McCarthy's contract was due to expire on July 31 after the UEFA Euro 2020 finals, with Stephen initially scheduled to step up from his Under-21 team role on August 1.

    "This move allows Stephen Kenny time to plan for the European Championship play-off semi-final against Slovakia later in the year."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.