Lilly backs Rapinoe and USWNT at end of influential year

By Sports Desk December 18, 2019

Kristine Lilly has backed the work done by Megan Rapinoe and her United States colleagues in building the profile of women’s sport.

Rapinoe is coming to the end of a stunning year in which she played a major role in the US winning the World Cup while also landing two major individual prizes in the FIFA Best and Ballon d’Or.

But it is her outspoken nature off the pitch that has arguably accelerated her rise to global prominence.

A vocal supporter of women’s rights and equal pay – as well as taking on US president Donald Trump in a Twitter spat - Rapinoe has become an icon for many around the world.

Former US midfielder Lilly, who holds the record for most international appearances by a male or female footballer with 352, was impressed with the way Rapinoe and her team-mates conducted themselves during the World Cup in France over the summer as well as their general outlook.

Asked about Rapinoe's influence, Lilly told Omnisport: "They have a platform, they are fighting for women’s sport, women’s football to make it a better environment and it’s being heard.

"It’s helping other countries to recognise that the investment is needed.

"The US team did a great job, the last World Cup was pretty phenomenal for what they accomplished. I’m proud of what they continue to fight for."

The World Cup in France elevated the profile of women’s football to new levels and Lilly is hopeful that momentum will continue.

She added: "There’s no other way to go. The investment that FIFA is putting behind the women’s game is the catalyst for it because of the recognition of where we are and where we need to go.

"The more teams we create, build that base up for competition, the better the World Cup will be.

"They are going to expand to 32 teams so we will need those teams to have some finance behind them. I see great things for the future of the women’s game. We have to keep backing it."

Related items

  • Marega hits out at Vitoria fans and referee after suffering alleged racist abuse Marega hits out at Vitoria fans and referee after suffering alleged racist abuse

    Porto striker Moussa Marega walked off after suffering alleged racist abuse at Vitoria Guimaraes and he hit out at their fans and the match officials.

    Marega celebrated his 60th-minute goal, which put Porto 2-1 up at Estadio D. Afonso Henriques on Sunday, by pointing to his skin and was subsequently booked by referee Luis Godinho.

    Objects were thrown in the direction of the Mali international, who made the decision to leave the pitch 10 minutes later.

    Marega's team-mates tried to encourage him to stay on, but he was eventually helped down the tunnel and displayed his middle fingers to the supporters.

    After the match, he posted on Instagram: "I would just like say to these idiots who come to the stadium to make racist chants … go f*** yourselves.

    "And I also thank the referees for not defending me and for giving me a yellow card because I defend my skin colour.

    "I hope I never meet you on a football pitch again! YOU ARE A DISGRACE!!!"

    Porto coach Sergio Conceicao said former Vitoria player Marega had been targeted from the warm-up and the club were "indignant" with what occurred.

    Vitoria president Miguel Pinto Lisboa condemned the alleged abuse but suggested the 28-year-old did not help himself with his actions.

    "At Vitoria we have players of all colours, races and creeds. We promote gender and race quality in sport and do not engage in behaviours that may harm that," he said.

    "If any Vitoria supporter behaved this way we will take appropriate action, but it seems to me there were also provocative actions intended to stoke the fire.

    "The player's attitude was visible on the television cameras."

    Portuguese Football Federation (FPF) president Fernando Gomes said in a statement: "Racist behaviour is intolerable in an open and evolved society.

    "The perpetrators of racist insults must be identified and brought to justice. The Portuguese Football Federation repudiates racist behaviour, wherever it comes from and wherever it occurs.

    "On Sunday, Moussa Marega was the target of racist insults that cannot fail to be severely punished, in a serious and condemnable incident.

    "The Portuguese Football Federation expresses its solidarity with Moussa Marega. As the FPF president I assure you I will continue to do everything so that fans who do not respect football are definitively outside the stadium. This is an urgent fight for the whole society."

  • Courtois: Returning Hazard 'worth a lot' to Madrid Courtois: Returning Hazard 'worth a lot' to Madrid

    Eden Hazard made his return from a three-month injury lay-off in Real Madrid's 2-2 draw against Celta Vigo, with Thibaut Courtois confident the forward will be key for Zinedine Zidane's side.

    An ankle injury sidelined Hazard in late November, but he made his comeback on Sunday, winning a penalty that Sergio Ramos converted to put Madrid 2-1 up in the second half.

    Madrid's run of five straight LaLiga wins was ended by Santi Mina's 85th-minute leveller, though, to ensure they only moved one point clear of Clasico rivals Barcelona at the top of the table.

    However, the return of Hazard, who has scored just once in nine league games since joining from Chelsea ahead of this season, was seen as an encouraging development for his compatriot Courtois.

    "Little by little he will catch up again after three months," Courtois, who also played alongside Hazard at Stamford Bridge, told Movistar.

    "He is a player that is worth a lot to us."

    Madrid surprisingly fell behind against Celta after Fedor Smolov scored his first goal for the club in the seventh minute.

    The home side failed to muster a shot on target across the opening 45 minutes, but Toni Kroos' sixth goal against Celta – he only has 14 overall in LaLiga - levelled matters and Hazard then won a penalty that Ramos scored.

    Yet more poor defending allowed substitute Denis Suarez to find fellow replacement Mina as Celta dramatically claimed a share of the spoils.

    Asked about his emotions, Courtois replied: "Angry because we conceded a [second] goal.

    "It was a difficult game because they started by scoring a goal early on. They defended well with 11 men and then I made a good save to keep the score at 0-1.

    "Then in the second half, we scored two fast goals but in the end we've lost two points that are worth a lot at home.

    "We defended well but Denis made a good turn and made space for Santi Mina, who put the ball away well.

    "It's two points lost and that leaves a bad taste in the mouth."

  • Lazio match-winner Milinkovic-Savic: Why not target Scudetto? Lazio match-winner Milinkovic-Savic: Why not target Scudetto?

    Sergej Milinkovic-Savic sees no reason why Lazio should not battle Juventus and Inter for Scudetto honours after moving within a point of top spot in Serie A.

    Milinkovic-Savic scored the match-winning goal as in-form Lazio rallied past title hopefuls Inter 2-1 at the Stadio Olimpico on Sunday.

    Ashley Young's first Inter goal was cancelled out by a Ciro Immobile penalty before Milinkovic-Savic's neat finish with 21 minutes remaining settled an absorbing contest in Rome.

    Lazio leapfrogged Inter into second position behind eight-time defending champions Juventus as the Biancocelesti extended their unbeaten run in Serie A to a club-record 19 games – dating back to September.

    "I scored, but the whole team got this victory. It's true what we said a few days ago, we are a family and we want to continue like this," Milinkovic-Savic told Sky Sport Italia.

    "Inter didn't play a great first half and we created more chances, but they scored. So we went into the dressing room, said this has to be our game and we came back out with the same attitude, as if it was 0-0.

    "What we feel obliged to achieve is a Champions League place, but if we are up there towards the end, then why not go for the Scudetto?

    "Inter won't give up because we won tonight, we won't give up no matter what happens in future, then we'll just see how things pan out."

    Lazio – Coppa Italia winners last season – have not won the Scudetto since Sven-Goran Eriksson led the capital club to glory in 2000.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.