EPL

Wenger urges Arsenal to surround talented Arteta with experienced support

By Sports Desk December 18, 2019

Arsene Wenger believes Mikel Arteta's "great future" must be nurtured with a strong backroom team if Arsenal make the inexperienced Spaniard their new head coach.

The Gunners have held talks with their former captain and are expected to appoint him to replace Unai Emery.

Arteta, 37, spent five seasons at Emirates Stadium as a player before retiring and taking up a coaching position with Manchester City in 2016.

He is well-regarded after working as Pep Guardiola's understudy but ex-Arsenal boss Wenger said the club would have to take measures to counteract his lack of experience.

"I am an Arsenal supporter and at the moment I support the manager in charge. The manager in charge is [Freddie] Ljungberg," Wenger told reporters in Doha.

"When Arteta will be in charge I will support Arteta.

"Of course Arsenal is going through a difficult period. It's better that I don't comment on that. I just suffer like every supporter."

He added: "I believe that Mikel has a great future. He has certainly learned a lot in his first position as an assistant coach and after that he will have to deal with the fact that he has no experience at that level.

"He will have to get surrounded well and get a good environment at the club."

Achieving the latter, according to Wenger, is an essential ingredient if Arsenal are to restore their status as a Premier League powerhouse.

The north Londoners have missed the top four in three successive seasons and have not finished higher than third since 2004-05.

"Most importantly, every club – and Arsenal especially – is built on special values and inside the club people have to take care of that," the Frenchman said.

"That is most important. What makes the culture of the club great is, first, the values of the club, and you have to be faithful to that. He will have to be surrounded, if he comes in, to respect that."

Related items

  • Salzburg's Europa League tie with Eintracht Frankfurt postponed due to storm threat Salzburg's Europa League tie with Eintracht Frankfurt postponed due to storm threat

    Salzburg's Europa League last-32 second-leg tie with Eintracht Frankfurt has been postponed due to a storm threat.

    The fixture was scheduled to take place at 21:00 CET on Thursday at the Red Bull Arena in Salzburg, with Frankfurt protecting a 4-1 first-leg lead.

    But UEFA confirmed the match will not go ahead.

    "Due to a storm warning, the public authorities in Austria have postponed tonight's UEFA Europa League round of 32 tie between FC Salzburg and Eintracht Frankfurt," read a statement released a matter of hours before kick-off.

    "An announcement will be made by UEFA in due course about the re-arranged date and time for this match to be played."

  • Dortmund's 15-year-old prodigy Moukoko wanted in first team by Favre Dortmund's 15-year-old prodigy Moukoko wanted in first team by Favre

    Youssoufa Moukoko has proven prolific in Borussia Dortmund's youth ranks and head coach Lucien Favre wants to promote the 15-year-old striker to the first team.

    The Dortmund prodigy was selected for duty with Germany Under-19s last week, returning to the international fold after making his U16 bow at the age of 12.

    Moukoko, who turned 15 in November, scored 50 goals and supplied nine assists in 28 appearances as BVB finished as runners-up in the U17 Bundesliga last season and has maintained his stunning form at U19 level.

    He has netted 31 times in 18 league outings and has another four in seven in the UEFA Youth League.

    Ahead of Dortmund's Bundesliga meeting with Freiburg on Saturday, Favre revealed he hopes to have Moukoko involved with the first team before the end of the season.

    "We have a plan with him, but I can't say exactly when he'll be with us," said Favre on Thursday. "Maybe in March, but we still have to wait for a few things."

    Moukoko could make his bow for Germany U19s in a European Championship qualifier against Wales on March 25. They play Austria three days later and Serbia on March 31.

    Nuri Sahin became Dortmund's youngest player at 16 years, 11 months and one day when he made his debut in August 2005.

  • Liverpool announce £42m pre-tax profits despite record £223m spend on players Liverpool announce £42m pre-tax profits despite record £223m spend on players

    Liverpool have announced pre-tax profits of £42million for the financial period ending May 31, 2019, despite a club-record spend on players.

    The club's turnover increased by £78m to £533m thanks to rises in media, commercial and match revenue.

    A new Champions League broadcasting deal and the team's second-place finish in the Premier League under Jurgen Klopp last year also boosted profits.

    Their Champions League triumph in 2018-19 is expected to be included in the next set of financial results.

    The positive figures come despite a club-record £223m spend on the signings of Alisson, Naby Keita, Fabinho and Xherdan Shaqiri, as well as 11 new contracts for established first-team players.

    Liverpool, who became champions of Europe for the sixth time last June, are seventh in the Deloitte Football Money League, a rise of two places from the previous financial year.

    Andy Hughes, Liverpool's chief operating officer, said via the club's website: "This continued strengthening of the underlying financial sustainability of the club is enabling us to make significant investments both in player recruitment and infrastructure.

    "Being able to reinvest over £220m on players during this financial period is a result of a successful business strategy, particularly the significant uplift in commercial revenues.

    "The cost of football, however, does continue to rise in transfers and associated fees but what's critical for us is the consistency of our financial position, enabling us to live within our means and continue to run a sustainable football club."

    The club have also boasted of six million more social media engagements than any other Premier League club during the 2018-19 season, while they say investment in the new training base at Kirkby and further planned expansion of Anfield is testament to the support of owners Fenway Sport Group.

    "What we're seeing is sustained growth across all areas of the club, which is aligned to the recent performance on the pitch," said Hughes. "There is more work to do and, importantly, we will continue our dialogue with all key stakeholders, including local residents, businesses and community groups.

    "These financial results and this sustained period of solid growth is testament to our ownership, Fenway Sport Group, who continue to support the club's ambitions and continue to reinvest revenues both in strengthening the playing squad and the club's infrastructure to build for the future."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.