Juventus defender De Sciglio eyes Premier League challenge in Champions League last 16

By Sports Desk December 14, 2019

Mattia De Sciglio hopes Juventus draw an English club in the Champions League last 16 after getting a taste of the Premier League two seasons ago.

Juve battled to a 4-3 aggregate victory over Tottenham in the first knockout round in 2017-18 after settling for a 2-2 draw in the opening encounter in Turin.

The Serie A champions eventually lost out to Real Madrid in the quarter-finals and had their hopes dashed by Ajax at the same stage last term.

Maurizio Sarri's men will expect to go further after topping Group D and defender De Sciglio said he now wants to face either of their two possible English opponents, Spurs or Chelsea.

"If you want to get to the end of the competition, sooner or later you have to meet all the strongest opponents," the Italy international told Sky Sport Italia.

"Personally I'd like to play against an English team, like we did two years ago, because it's nice to play against them."

The draw for the last 16 takes place in Nyon on Monday.

Before then, Juve must negotiate Sunday's Serie A home game against struggling Udinese.

The Bianconeri, 2-0 winners at Bayer Leverkusen in midweek, drew with Sassuolo and lost to Lazio in the two fixtures that followed their previous European engagements.

"It's true that we have had some difficulties after Champions League matches, but so far we have lost only once in the league and we are right there, attached to Inter," De Sciglio said.

"Udinese will be another tough game. There are no easy games in Serie A. But if we play like Juve, we will take the three points."

Juve sit two points behind leaders Inter, who visit Fiorentina on Sunday.

Related items

  • This is the circus we are involved in - Barcelona boss Setien unfazed by talk of being sacked This is the circus we are involved in - Barcelona boss Setien unfazed by talk of being sacked

    Barcelona head coach Quique Setien insists he "does not spend a minute" thinking about his future amid speculation he is close to being sacked.

    The 61-year-old's position has been called into question following a run of three draws in four matches that leaves Barca four points adrift of LaLiga leaders Real Madrid.

    Setien was handed a two-and-a-half-year deal when succeeding Ernesto Valverde at Camp Nou in January, but club icon Xavi is reportedly being lined up to take charge.

    However, the former Las Palmas and Real Betis boss says he takes no notice of the rumours and is instead focused on Sunday's trip to in-form Villarreal.

    "I don't spend a minute thinking about that," he said at his pre-match news conference on Saturday. "I focus on what I have to focus on, which in this case is Sunday's game.

    "This is the circus we're involved in and we accept it, but I don't waste time listening or reading [speculation]. I know there is noise being made but I have to focus on my own job.

    "It is not the first time that I have experienced it, nor is it the first time a coach has lived through a situation like this when they don't win a game."

    Setien is said to have been summoned to a meeting with club president Josep Maria Bartomeu and other members of the board following Tuesday's 2-2 draw with Atletico Madrid.

    But the Spaniard did not get the impression from the face-to-face talks that he is on the verge of losing his job.

    "I have said I am not going to reveal the conversations we had that day, but I didn't sense that, not at all," he said.

    Barca could find themselves seven points off top spot by the time they face Villarreal should Madrid beat Athletic Bilbao earlier on Sunday.

    Unlike the reigning Spanish champions, fifth-placed Villarreal have hit the ground running since the restart by taking 16 points from a possible 18.

    "I don't know if they are the best or [one of] the best teams returning from isolation," Setien said of Sunday's opponents.

    "They are doing things very well, with a lot of talent and players in good form, who defend well and who are going to compromise us a lot because they are playing at home.

    "But we played a pretty good game against Atletico and I hope we are at that level and get through the game."

  • Hecking pays the price for Hamburg's promotion failure Hecking pays the price for Hamburg's promotion failure

    Dieter Hecking has left his post as Hamburg manager after failing to secure the club's return to the Bundesliga.

    Hecking, 55, was hired by Hamburg in May 2019 after Hannes Wolf could only inspire a fourth-placed finish in HSV's first ever season in the second tier.

    However, Hecking was unable to do any better as his side capitulated in the final weeks of the 2019-20 season.

    Despite taking one point from their previous two games, Hamburg went into the final match of the campaign in the promotion play-off spot, but a 5-1 defeat at home to mid-table Sandhausen proved critical as Heidenheim leapt above them to secure a showdown with Werder Bremen.

    Hecking accepts he failed to achieve the club's target, but HSV stressed his departure was a "joint decision".

  • Mourinho 'destroyed on the inside' by Spurs 'desire' against Sheffield United Mourinho 'destroyed on the inside' by Spurs 'desire' against Sheffield United

    Jose Mourinho claimed the sight of Tottenham losing to Sheffield United due to a lack of desire "destroys me a little bit on the inside".

    Spurs took four points from games with Manchester United and West Ham in their opening matches after the Premier League returned last month, but a 3-1 defeat at Bramall Lane this week left them ninth in the table and nine points off the top four.

    After the match, Mourinho accused his players of mentally giving up after seeing a Harry Kane goal ruled out by VAR in controversial circumstances, with Lucas Moura penalised for handball in the build-up after being tripped by an opposing defender.

    Speaking ahead of Sunday's game against Everton, the Spurs boss again highlighted his concerns about his players' mental fortitude.

    "[From a] desire point of view, they put more in than us," he said of the loss to the Blades.

    "That disturbs me. That destroys me a little bit on the inside because the last thing in football is when you feel you should do more.

    "It's not a problem for me to lose because of a goalkeeper mistake or a striker missed two goals or mistakes. It's a problem for me when I feel we could do more."

    When asked what will fix any perceived problems in Spurs' mindset, Mourinho replied: "Time. Only time.

    "One of the most difficult things in football is exactly that: to change mentalities. It's to change the state of mind. It's to change the team's soul. It's one of the most difficult things in football.

    "Sometimes, you have incredible luck to have a majority of players adapted to these needs, and some other times you have incredible players but the psychological profile is different or was built in a different direction. So, only time can do it. You have a recent example of the new champions and you know what the process to build the team is."

    Mourinho also ruled out targeting specifically older players in the transfer market in order to strengthen the mentality of the group.

    "In this moment, I'm not going in this direction and I don't think personalities have to do with age," he said. "There are young people with incredible mentality and there are people with a lot of experience without the right mentality. So, I don't think it's about age; it's more about a certain profile."

    Dele Alli has sustained a hamstring problem but Mourinho says the injury is "nothing important" and hopes to have the midfielder available.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.