Napoli players pay tribute to 'special person' Ancelotti after sacking

By Sports Desk December 11, 2019

A host of Napoli players have paid tribute to Carlo Ancelotti following his sacking, with the Italian lauded as a "special person" by Lorenzo Insigne and others.

Ancelotti was dismissed on Tuesday despite guiding Napoli to a 4-0 win over Genk earlier in the day, securing their place in the last 16 of the Champions League.

It has been a difficult first half of the season for Napoli, with underwhelming league form combining with tension between Ancelotti and the club's hierarchy.

Club president Aurelio De Laurentiis was reported to have ordered Ancelotti and the players to attend a training retreat in early November, but the squad failed to show up in what was deemed by the Italian media to be an act of open rebellion.

Napoli threatened sanctions in the wake of that situation and Ancelotti's days seemed to be numbered from then, with Tuesday's win over Genk their first win in any competition in well over a month.

After Napoli confirmed Ancelotti had been dismissed following a meeting with De Laurentiis, it seems he has retained the respect of the players.

Club captain Insigne – who acknowledged an up-and-down relationship with Ancelotti in October – wrote on his Instagram account: "Thank you boss - it was an honour to have worked with you and your staff. In these two years I met a special person. I wish you the best!"

Spanish midfielder Fabian Ruiz has developed into an important player for Napoli and Spain under Ancelotti. He also saluted the three-time Champions League-winning coach.

"Boss, thanks for everything you did," he wrote. "You have been a special person for me, I wish you the best, wherever you go you deserve the best. A big hug and good luck."

Allan added: "You were a special person, much more than a coach... I thank you for everything you've done in almost two years together... I wish you and all the staff good luck."

Kostas Manolas, Arkadiusz Milik, Kalidou Koulibaly and Hirving Lozano were among the others to post their thanks to Ancelotti, who has been strongly linked with the vacant managerial positions at Premier League duo Arsenal and Everton.

Gennaro Gattuso is expected to be announced as Ancelotti's successor on Wednesday.

Related items

  • Bartomeu won't resign yet as Barcelona prepare for vote of no confidence on November 1-2 Bartomeu won't resign yet as Barcelona prepare for vote of no confidence on November 1-2

    Barcelona president Josep Maria Bartomeu is not yet stepping down but says there are plans in place for a vote of no confidence to be held on November 1-2.

    A motion against the incumbent president passed the threshold of 16,250 member votes on October 8, forcing the club's board to set a date for the vote to take place.

    Bartomeu and the board met at the Camp Nou offices on Monday and it had been reported the president could resign immediately due to uncertainty around the manner in which the referendum can be held amid the coronavirus pandemic.

    Spain recently declared a new state of emergency due to the increase in new COVID-19 cases across the country, which has recorded more than 1.15million infections.

    Bartomeu says the board are awaiting a decision from Barcelona's regional government to determine whether it will be safe to hold the no-confidence vote at Camp Nou this weekend, with their proposal for an additional delay having been denied.

    "We put adequate mechanisms in place for the vote of no confidence, proposing November 1 and 2 in 13 locations in Catalonia," he told reporters on Monday.

    "Last Thursday, our request to have 15 days to make the vote as universal as possible was not respected. The Generalitat [the government of Catalonia] did not accept to do it on November 15 and 16 in a decentralised way.

    "[On Sunday], the prime minister [Pedro Sanchez] decreed a state of alarm and a curfew, establishing meetings of a maximum of six people, and Catalonia decreed a night-time curfew. We sent a letter to the Generalitat asking how we could guarantee the vote of members of over 65 and how we could guarantee the health of the 300 workers.

    "We know that we live in serious situations that require exceptional measures; they are incompatible with partisan positions. We have decided that we will meet again when we have the answers.

    "Regarding the vote of no confidence, we are waiting for a response from the Generalitat to know if the health situation is maintained so the vote can be held on November 1 and 2.

    "We have always wanted a decentralised vote, in various venues so that as many members as possible vote, so we asked for 15 more days, but last Thursday we were told that it would be November 1 and 2. We don't have time and if the vote is centralised at Camp Nou on November 1 and 2, it will have to be done with an adequate health protocol."

  • TTFA outlines Sunday's resolutions in apologetic letter to Normalization Committee TTFA outlines Sunday's resolutions in apologetic letter to Normalization Committee

    Richard Ferguson, Chairman of Sunday’s Extraordinary General Meeting of the delegates of the Trinidad and Tobago Football Association has written to Robert Hadad of the FIFA-appointed Normalization Committee stating that they will comply with its obligation as a member of FIFA and that they will cease all legal action against the sport’s governing body.

    The move effectively brings to an end the seven-month long dispute between the association and FIFA, who in March 2020, dissolved the TTFA’s administration four months after it was duly elected in November 2019.

    FIFA cited weak financial controls and systems that plagued the heavily indebted association. However, the matter led to a month's long dispute that went before the Court of Arbitration for Sport, the Trinidad and Tobago High Court of Justice and eventually before the Trinidad and Tobago Appeals Court, who ruled in favour of FIFA late last week.

    Today’s letter follows on the heels of resolutions that were overwhelmingly accepted during Sunday’s EGM and from which former TTFA President William Wallace and members of his executive withdrew.

    It states that the TTFA has decided to “comply with its obligation as a member of FIFA, recognizing the legitimacy of the FIFA- appointed Normalization Committee” and to bring its own statutes in line with the FIFA statutes.

    They have also resolved to fully cooperate with the Normalization Committee in the fulfillment of its mandate as stated in FIFA's letter of March 17th, 2020 and critically, that all court matters existing between the TTFA and FIFA shall be immediately brought to a stop."

    Ferguson also stated that the “TTFA must advise that its members have agreed to abide with the conditions of the Normalisation Committee and will co-operate fully to ensure that the mandate of the Committee is realized.”

    He also apologized to Hadad and members of the Normalization Committee, FIFA, CONCACAF and CFU “for any embarrassment and inconvenience caused by TTFA representatives over the last year.”

    “I also hope that a strong positive relationship can be re-established as we move forward for the betterment of football in Trinidad and Tobago.”

     

  • Mendy, Vardy and drawing with Wolves – Premier League weekend's quirky facts Mendy, Vardy and drawing with Wolves – Premier League weekend's quirky facts

    The unpredictability of the new Premier League season continued over the weekend.

    Everton's defeat at Southampton saw the last unbeaten record fall, Sunday's result at St Mary's Stadium coming after the previously perfect Aston Villa had lost to Leeds United on Friday.

    Chelsea and Manchester United combined for no goals but plenty of talking points, Liverpool's ongoing issues with VAR continued and West Ham were a nuisance again for a member of the 'big six'.

    Leicester City may sum up the early stages best, though. The Foxes have now won on their trips to Arsenal and Manchester City, but have also lost twice in three home games.

    The conclusion to draw from it all is this: draw conclusions at your peril. Instead, here are some of the more interesting Opta facts from the latest round of action.

     

    LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION

    Pep Guardiola had won all nine of his previous matches against West Ham in his managerial career, but there was to be no perfect 10.

    Manchester City had to settle for a 1-1 draw as they became the latest team to struggle to contain Michail Antonio, a player who certainly has a sweet spot when it comes to goals. Well, less of a sweet spot and more of an area, actually.

    Antonio's 39 Premier League goals have all come inside the penalty area. Only Gabriel Jesus (42) has managed more than that out of the current players in the division, though both are still short of the leader in this particular category, Tim Cahill.

    The Australian's total of 56 tops the list, ahead of a former Hammer in Javier Hernandez (53). They are the only two to reach a half-century of goals when only scoring inside the box, while other notable penalty-area experts include John Terry (41), David Unsworth (39) and Kevin Doyle (37).

    VARDY PARTY IN NORTH LONDON

    Jamie Vardy likes playing against Arsenal. The striker's late winner for Leicester City on Sunday was his 11th goal against the Gunners in 12 Premier League games. Only Wayne Rooney has netted more against them – and his tally of 12 came in 29 outings.

    It was also Vardy's fifth time on the scoresheet at Emirates Stadium, the most by any visiting player. Tottenham's Harry Kane has managed four, by the way, and has also scored 10 in 11 north London derby appearances.

    Only one other player in Premier League history has managed double-digit goals when facing Arsenal. Robbie Fowler scored 10 in 18, including a hat-trick inside five minutes at Anfield in August 1994.

    DRAWING CONCLUSIONS... AGAIN

    We should have seen the result coming from Molineux. When Wolves and Newcastle United meet in the top flight, a draw is seemingly on the cards. Well, it is 73 per cent of the time.

    Jacob Murphy cancelled out Raul Jimenez's 80th-minute opener, meaning for the eighth time in 11 Premier League matches, this fixture resulted in a drawn outcome. All those games have also seen both sides score, making it the most played tie in the competition in which neither side have kept a clean sheet.

    Wolves had 63.4 per cent of the possession, yet it turns out they do not need more of the ball to be successful. Under Nuno Espirito Santo, they have won just one of the 11 games in which they have reached at least 60 per cent possession, with the solitary success coming against a Manchester City side that played for over 75 minutes with 10 men.

    You win some. You lose some. Yet when it comes to Wolves against Newcastle, you mainly just draw.

    "I NEED YOU TODAY, OH MENDY!"

    Is Edouard Mendy the answer to Chelsea's goalkeeping conundrum? Well, one dodgy pass aside, there were positive signs from the Senegal international at Old Trafford on Saturday.

    Mendy repelled Manchester United's occasional attempts that were on target (there were four, in case you had nodded off during proceedings), making him the first keeper for the Blues to keep a clean sheet in his opening two Premier League outings since new team-mate Petr Cech in August 2004.

    Edinson Cavani became United's oldest player to make his Premier League debut since Zlatan Ibrahimovic when sent on in the second half, but the Uruguayan was unable to find a breakthrough. A point for the Red Devils, then, but Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's squad have failed to win any of their opening three home games in the league – that has not happened for United since the 1972-73 season.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.