Lampard: Ancelotti capable of coaching anywhere

By Sports Desk December 10, 2019

Frank Lampard backed Carlo Ancelotti to bounce back at the top level after Napoli sacked the experienced Italian on Tuesday.

Ancelotti was dismissed three hours after leading the club to a 4-0 victory over Genk, which confirmed their place in the Champions League knockout rounds.

Poor results in Serie A and rumours of discontent at Stadio San Paolo had placed pressure on the ex-Milan head coach for a number of weeks.

Links to the vacant posts at Everton and Arsenal have already emerged and Blues boss Lampard, who played under Ancelotti at Stamford Bridge, suggested the 60-year-old would have no trouble finding another high-profile position.

"I have huge respect for him, I am very sorry for him," Lampard said after Chelsea's win over Lille.

"I know it was a tough job for him lately. I saw his interview before the game and I thought it was a very typically classy interview in what seemed a very tough time for him. He always handles himself brilliantly.

"I think he can work anywhere in the world at the top level, of course."

Ancelotti is a three-time Champions League winner as a coach and boasts league titles in Italy, Germany, France and England, but his most recent jobs have produced mixed results.

He spent just over 18 months in charge of Napoli and leaves with the club sitting seventh in Serie A.

Former Partenopei player Jorginho said: "I didn't know about it. I'm really sorry. I never met him but I heard a lot of good things about him from my former team-mates.

"They told me he is a great man and manager. I'm sorry for everything that is happening in Napoli. It's a difficult moment for them.

"I hope that they will be back at the top as they were for years until this bad moment. I'm really surprised. I was not expecting Napoli [to have] trouble and I'm sorry, because I'll always love Napoli."

Napoli are expected to name Gennaro Gattuso as Ancelotti's replacement.

Related items

  • Gabigol makes permanent Flamengo switch, Politano also leaves Inter Gabigol makes permanent Flamengo switch, Politano also leaves Inter

    Gabriel 'Gabigol' Barbosa and Matteo Politano have agreed permanent exits from Inter, joining Flamengo and Napoli respectively.

    Flamengo are said to have paid €17million to sign Gabriel, while Politano has joined Napoli on a two-year loan with an obligation to buy.

    After failing to make his mark upon arriving at San Siro for a reported €25m in August 2016, Gabigol shone on loan at Flamengo last year. He scored 43 goals in 60 games as Jorge Jesus led them to Campeonato Brasileiro and Copa Libertadores glory.

    The 23-year-old striker was linked with a move to West Ham but signed a five-year deal to stay at Flamengo on Tuesday.

    Inter also agreed to let Politano depart after he became a peripheral figure under Antonio Conte.

    Politano started 31 Serie A games for Luciano Spalletti last season, leading to the Nerazzurri exercising an option to make his loan from Sassuolo permanent.

    However, after being named in Conte's starting line-up just three times in 2019-20, he was allowed to leave for Napoli.

    Politano was expected to return to Roma, where he spent his youth career before joining Pescara in 2013, but the move fell through and Gennaro Gattuso's side swooped in.

    Inter announced the arrival of Christian Eriksen from Tottenham on Tuesday and are now expected to push forward with a move for Olivier Giroud of Chelsea, having already signed Ashley Young and Victor Moses.

  • Mane expected to miss two more games with small muscle tear Mane expected to miss two more games with small muscle tear

    Jurgen Klopp has confirmed forward Sadio Mane is likely to miss Liverpool's next two matches with a small muscle tear.

    Senegal international Mane pulled up in the first half of Liverpool's 2-1 win at Wolves last Thursday with a hamstring complaint.

    The 27-year-old was absent for the 2-2 draw with Shrewsbury Town in the FA Cup fourth round on Sunday and will miss the Premier League trip to West Ham on Wednesday.

    However, Klopp only expects Mane to miss one other match - a home clash against his former club Southampton on Saturday - as the damage is not as bad as first feared.

    "Sadio will not be involved for West Ham and probably not Southampton," Klopp said at a news conference on Tuesday.

    "Afterwards he should be fine, then the week after that should be perfect for him to get back on track. 

    "He has a small muscle tear, which is serious enough to rule him out, but we've been a little bit lucky with the injury as well so it's not that serious. 

    "But when you have three games in a week it means he's out for three games."

    Mane has started 21 of Liverpool's 23 Premier League matches this season and has been used 31 times in all competitions.

  • Solskjaer using PSG comeback as inspiration for Man Utd in City semi-final Solskjaer using PSG comeback as inspiration for Man Utd in City semi-final

    Ole Gunnar Solskjaer wants to use Manchester United's famous Champions League comeback against Paris Saint-Germain as inspiration when his side take on Manchester City in the EFL Cup.

    United go into Wednesday's semi-final, second leg at the Etihad Stadium trailing 3-1.

    That is a similar predicament to the one they found themselves in against PSG in March, when they overturned a 2-0 first-leg loss at home to progress in the Champions League.

    Solskjaer knows United need a flawless display if they are to repeat the feat, but draws hope from that PSG encounter as well as United's 2-1 Premier League derby win in December.

    "It looked like it was over at half-time," Solskjaer said of the first leg. "I have to say the second part of that first half they outplayed us for a while and it's hard, but then we got the goal, back in it.

    "We hoped for another one but we have got to go into the memory bank and think PSG. 

    "We have done it against good teams before and that gives us hope and the game in December [against City] gives us hope.

    "We can't just defend, we have to try to keep the ball and make them run after the ball. 

    "It has to be a perfect performance but we've done amazing things before at this club and the PSG game is, for me, a very, very good example of how you can make a two-goal deficit work in your favour. We need the first goal."

    Solskjaer did acknowledge United's Etihad win over City came under different circumstances.

    He added: "They are getting players back as well, we hit them last time when they were struggling a bit and since then they have played really well.

    "We have lost Scott [McTominay] and Marcus [Rashford] since that game, a little bit lighter in the playing department.

    "It has to be a perfect performance to win with two goals against such a good team away from home. For us it's not about away goals, we just need to score two more than them.

    "It would be good not to concede first, because that makes it less difficult."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.