Looming Clasico influenced Valverde decision to rest Messi

By Sports Desk December 09, 2019

Lionel Messi's omission from Barcelona's squad for their Champions League clash with Inter was influenced by a daunting set of forthcoming fixtures that includes a potentially crucial Clasico with Real Madrid.

Messi has been rested by Ernesto Valverde for Tuesday's game at San Siro, with Barca enjoying the luxury of having already qualified for the last 16 as Group F winners.

Barca visit fourth-placed Real Sociedad in their next LaLiga match on Saturday before welcoming Madrid to the Camp Nou the following Wednesday and then hosting Alaves in their final fixture before the mid-season break.

Valverde's men are level on points with Madrid at the top of the table and, in the face of repeated questioning about Messi's absence at a media conference on Monday, he pointed to that run of three games in eight days as the key reason for his decision.

"Messi has rest. Nothing more," Valverde said. "We come from important games and we have important games and I have decided that some players do not come.

"Last year we played a great game here. Without Messi, by the way."

Jordi Alba and Nelson Semedo are both back in training following hamstring and calf problems respectively, but neither has been given the green light to play in Milan.

Ansu Fati's participation in the game is in doubt due to problems with the patellar tendons in both knees while Arthur has been struggling with a groin problem.

Barcelona were held to a 1-1 draw by Inter at San Siro last season but the Catalans overcame Antonio Conte's side 2-1 at Camp Nou in October.

Asked what he expects from Inter this time around, Valverde said: "The best. They are the leaders of Serie A and in the first match they played a great game.

"They are making a great start to the championship, but in the end you have to compete.

"We come here to compete, but knowing that they have a great team."

Related items

  • Who will replace Setien as Barcelona head coach? Who will replace Setien as Barcelona head coach?

    "Nobody is safe," declared Gerard Pique after Barcelona were humiliated by Bayern Munich in their final match of a long, long season.

    The defender was very clear that changes must be made in the wake of an 8-2 battering in the Champions League quarter-finals.

    President Josep Maria Bartomeu is expected to chair an extraordinary board meeting on Monday, when the dismissal of head coach Quique Setien appears likely to be ratified.

    Barca's problems stem far beyond the man in charge of the first team, but Setien looked powerless in the dugout in Lisbon on Friday and is the first obvious departure as part of a top-down clear-out at Camp Nou.

    Appointing a replacement is complicated by next year's presidential elections. Assuming Bartomeu does not heed growing calls to step aside, he will be in power for at least another 10 months. That means any coach who comes in now could find himself supplanted by the preferred choice of the next president.

    With that in mind, here are six of the firm favourites to take over from Setien.

     

    Mauricio Pochettino

    The favourite in many quarters, former Tottenham boss Pochettino could be a hugely tempting - and low-cost - choice.

    The Argentinian, who left Spurs last November five months after reaching the Champions League final, has softened his stance on coaching Barca after previously declaring he could never take the job due to his allegiance to Espanyol.

    Barca would represent by far the biggest job of his coaching career and the sheer challenge of getting them back on track could appeal to Pochettino, who turned Spurs into Premier League title challengers and top-four regulars over five years.

    There are reports, however, that Pochettino's appointment could be a majorly divisive move, given his previous comments about Barcelona.

    Xavi

    Barca's former captain turned down the coaching job in January when Ernesto Valverde was sacked, and he may think the time is still not right to take the reins.

    The Catalans would need to buy out his deal with Al Sadd as well as convince Xavi to come back, plus there are political complications, with presidential challenger Victor Font declaring the former Spain star would be his choice in 2021 if he wins the election.

    Still, there are few who better understand the 'Barca DNA', he is adored by the fans and, crucially, he could be the man to convince Lionel Messi to stay.

     

    Massimiliano Allegri

    Another unattached option, Allegri has a commendable pedigree from his time with Milan and Juventus. Six Serie A titles, seven domestic cups and two Champions League finals in the past decade give Allegri a CV to rival any candidate.

    He would certainly bring an uncompromising authority to the dressing room, as well as vast experience, but the 53-year-old could well be put off by the complications of those elections, especially given other leading clubs such as Paris Saint-Germain and Inter are said to be interested if they make a change.

    Patrick Kluivert

    Kluivert represents one of Bartomeu's more sensible possible appointments given he would probably accept the job despite the uncertainty of next year.

    The former Barca striker is currently head of youth football at Camp Nou, and that is a role to which he could return if the head coach position became untenable in 2021.

    He is another who understands the club well, would presumably be more than happy to promote youngsters to the first team, and he learned some of his coaching craft at the right hand of Louis van Gaal with the Netherlands national team.

     

    Ronald Koeman

    Another former Barca star who knows only too well the demands of the club, Koeman also spoke with them about replacing Valverde only to turn them down.

    Like Xavi, Koeman is committed to his present project, which is to lead Netherlands at Euro 2020. With that tournament having been pushed back to next year due to the coronavirus pandemic, the 57-year-old would appear unlikely to quit his national team now for the sake of a potential short-term posting at his old club.

    Garcia Pimienta

    Like Kluivert, Pimienta represents an internal candidate who would likely be unmoved by the looming elections.

    A former academy player who made one appearance for the senior side, Pimienta has been coaching at La Masia since 2001 and took charge of the B team two years ago.

    It would be unfair to expect him to become the new Pep Guardiola or Luis Enrique, who also honed their first-team credentials with the B team, but the 46-year-old would likely be a popular choice for the new generation of talent breaking through, even if the appointment lasted only until next year.

  • Bruno Fernandes relishing pressure of price tag: 'When a club pays £55m, it gives you confidence' Bruno Fernandes relishing pressure of price tag: 'When a club pays £55m, it gives you confidence'

    Bruno Fernandes believes his £55million transfer fee instantly gave him the confidence boost that has subsequently led to a swift adaptation to life at Manchester United.

    Fernandes joined United from Sporting CP in January after a somewhat drawn-out saga and the Portugal midfielder has had an impressive impact.

    In 21 appearances across all competitions, Fernandes has scored 11 goals and set up another eight, quickly establishing himself as one of the key components in Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's team.

    On top of that, United have lost just once since his debut at the start of February, the 3-1 FA Cup semi-final defeat to Chelsea last month.

    Solskjaer's men secured a third-place finish in the Premier League and face Sevilla for a spot in the Europa League final on Sunday and while Fernandes recognises he has had lots of support, he also feels the fee United paid gave him a boost.

    "I can't say it was easy, but of course we had good results and I was scoring some goals, but for me it was easy [to adapt] because the team helped me a lot, everyone in the club helped me – the coach, staff, everyone, that gives a lot of confidence," he told reporters on Saturday.

    "I already played in Italy, so I know how it is to be out of my country in different leagues. Of course, the Premier League is completely different, but I have the confidence of staff, team-mates, all the club, and I think everything is going well because when you have confidence from everyone you can do your game and your best.

    "I think when a club pays for a player £55million, you have confidence from the club.

    "Of course, then there are all the conversations with the manager, team-mates, and as I say before, the coach always says to do my game, try do what I did in Sporting, have the same confidence, do the same things and improve.

    "When you have that voice, it's easier for you."

    Sunday's opponents Sevilla, who have won the Europa League three times and twice triumphed in its previous guise of the UEFA Cup, finished fourth in LaLiga and progressed past Roma and Wolves in the past two rounds to reach the last four.

    Those victories extended their unbeaten run on all fronts to 19 matches, a streak that began in February, and Solskjaer warned his players they will need to be clinical in the final third and not be intimidated by their opponents' aggressive pressing.

    When asked what United need to do on Sunday, Solskjaer quipped: "Score more goals [than Sevilla].

    "No, it's not as easy as that, because they're a good, very well-organised team, [use] aggressive pressing and have some very good individuals there, so we have to play our best game.

    "We have to be able to keep the ball well when we can, play out of their press, be clever, creative and, of course, we have to step up in big moments – the last pass, the finish.

    "These games will be decided so often on a set-piece or piece of individual brilliance by some players."

    Sevilla have been boosted by the return to their squad of Nemanja Gudelj after he overcame coronavirus, and Fernandes is already planning to swap shirts with his old Sporting colleague.

    "I'm happy he's healthy now," Fernandes said. "I spoke with him when he had the virus. I'm happy he can be healthy now, but tomorrow I hope I can beat him. We will change the shirts tomorrow – I'm happy for him."

  • It's not a failure if PSG miss out on Champions League glory - Herrera It's not a failure if PSG miss out on Champions League glory - Herrera

    Ander Herrera insists "it wouldn't be a failure" if Paris Saint-Germain did not lift the Champions League this season. 

    PSG swept the board domestically and are into the last four of Europe's premier competition for the first time since the 1994-95 season. 

    The Champions League remains the ultimate goal for the Ligue 1 heavyweights and their owners, Qatar Sports Investments. 

    It needed a dramatic late comeback against Atalanta, as goals from Marquinhos and Eric Maxim Choupo-Moting secured a 2-1 win, to progress. They will next meet RB Leipzig in Lisbon on Tuesday. 

    Most pundits make PSG favourites to reach the final, but Herrera says his club have already had a successful campaign. 

    "If we didn't win the Champions League, it wouldn't be a failure. It would be a failure for 10 teams then," he told a news conference.  

    "We have already done a fantastic job at national level with four titles won this season. But it is true that Leipzig, or Lyon for example, perhaps didn't expect to be here.  

    "We have the quality and the ability to win the semi-final, but we have to know they will play free, without the pressure of winning the game."

    Herrera believes Leipzig head into the contest without the same pressure as their opponents, a fact he says makes the Bundesliga side dangerous. 

    "They are a very offensive and very courageous team. They don't have the pressure of having to win the Champions League or play the final. It may be more dangerous for us," he added.  

    "They have a diagram with the ball, and another without. We will have to prepare well for this match because they will play more liberally, with less pressure.  

    "The fact that they are offensive can be a good thing for us because our attackers can build up speed, but we will also have to defend well, because they can create a lot of chances." 

    On Friday, Bayern Munich humiliated Barcelona 8-2 in their quarter-final tie to lay down a marker to the remaining hopefuls in a tournament that is being completed in Portugal due to the coronavirus pandemic. 

    Herrera was impressed by what he saw but said PSG cannot contemplate anyone else but Leipzig. 

    "We were all impressed with the result. It’s the first time in history that something like this has happened in the quarter-finals, but we prefer to be aware of Leipzig," he said.  

    "Our goal is Leipzig. The most important thing is to prepare this game against a team that played fantastically against Atletico Madrid.  

    "We saw a team with a lot of confidence. Leipzig impressed me too. We have to be very respectful of this team and prepare the match in the best possible way." 

    Neymar and Kylian Mbappe, who came off the bench having recovered from a serious ankle sprain, impressed in the comeback against Atalanta, while Angel Di Maria is back from suspension. 

    Herrera says PSG's variety of options can play into their favour. 

    "This season, we have played in several systems, with three central defenders, in 4-4-2 or in 4-3-3 as well. We have a lot of good players and possibilities," he said.  

    "It's not just Di Maria. Mbappe seems ready to help, Neymar too, Pablo Sarabia is reliable. He gives assists, he scores goals.  

    "We are very respectful towards Leipzig, but we are confident because we have a lot of players who can play and change the course of a game."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.