Bologna 2-3 Milan: Mihajlovic back on hosts' bench but Bonaventura strike proves decisive

By Sports Desk December 08, 2019

Milan secured successive Serie A wins for only the second time this season as they won 3-2 away to Bologna, who had coach Sinisa Mihajlovic back on the bench for the first time since his bone marrow transplant last month.

Mihajlovic, who was diagnosed with leukaemia earlier in the year, received a huge ovation as he walked out pre-match, though his presence was not enough to inspire Bologna to a first league win over Milan since January 2016.

Milan's opening goal will have come as a relief to Krzysztof Piatek as the Poland international scored his first club goal for almost two months from the spot, before Theo Hernandez netted one at either end to put Bologna back in contention.

They were soon trailing by two once again in the second half thanks to Giacomo Bonaventura's sumptuous strike and that proved decisive, giving Bologna too much to do despite Nicola Sansone's late penalty restoring a modicum of hope.

Piatek ended his goal drought from the spot in the 15th minute, converting after being sent tumbling by Bologna defender Mattia Bani.

The hosts failed to mount much of a response and found their task made even trickier just past the half-hour mark, Hernandez beating the goalkeeper from close range after collecting Suso's wonderful disguised pass.

Hernandez found the wrong net late in the half, however, directing a corner past Gianluigi Donnarumma after Stefano Denswil had ducked under the ball.

But any hope of a Bologna comeback was effectively ended within a minute of the second half starting, as Bonaventura curled a fine effort into the left side of the goal from 20 yards.

Sansone's penalty – given after a VAR review – in the 84th minute following Hernandez' clumsy foul on Riccardo Orsolini ensured it was a nervous ending for Milan, but the visitors held on.

Related items

  • Rumour Has It: European giants Real Madrid, PSG and Inter circle for Lingard Rumour Has It: European giants Real Madrid, PSG and Inter circle for Lingard

    Jesse Lingard has been in blistering form during his six-month loan spell at West Ham.

    As a result, speculation is rife over the 28-year-old England international's future.

    Lingard is contracted with parent club Manchester United for one more season.

     

    TOP STORY - EUROPEAN GIANTS CIRCLE FOR LINGARD

    European powerhouse clubs Paris Saint-Germain, Real Madrid and Inter are all interested in Lingard, claims ESPN.

    Lingard has scored eight goals in nine games for the Hammers, who are surprisingly sitting fourth in the Premier League.

    ESPN reports those clubs are monitoring Lingard's situation, with West Ham keen to sign him permanently and the player yet to declare a preference, although it is believed he wants to play  Champions League football.

     

    ROUND-UP

    - Serbia international Sergei Milinkovic-Savic has garnered interest from European giants Manchester United, Real Madrid and Paris Saint-Germain, according to La Gazzetta dello Sport. The midfielder is contracted with Lazio until 2024.

    - Manchester United may have missed out on Borussia Dortmund's Jadon Sancho last off-season but they are set to revive their interest, says the Manchester Evening News.

    - Calciomercato reports that French winger Ousmane Dembele is open to joining Juventus from Barcelona in the next transfer window.

    - Tottenham are making their move to sign off-contract Bayern Munich defender Jerome Boateng, reports Sky Germany.

    - Arsenal have joined the race to sign Celtic forward Odsonne Edouard, alongside Leicester City, according to the Telegraph.

    - Tuttosport says Torino's Italy international forward Andrea Belotti is being courted by Chelsea, Everton, AC Milan and Atletico Madrid.

    - Fiorentina want to hire Gennaro Gattuso from Napoli as their next coach, claims Sky Sport Italia. Gattuso is out of contract at Napoli at the end of the season.

  • Borussia Dortmund have made it clear they do not want to sell Haaland – Raiola Borussia Dortmund have made it clear they do not want to sell Haaland – Raiola

    Borussia Dortmund have made it clear they do not want to sell Erling Haaland in the next transfer window, the striker's agent Mino Raiola has said.

    Haaland has become arguably the most in-demand player in Europe following a spectacular individual season for Dortmund, despite the team's inconsistencies.

    Haaland has scored 33 goals and provided nine assists in 34 appearances in all competitions this term. Among players in Europe's top-five leagues, only Robert Lewandowski (50), Harry Kane (45) and Kylian Mbappe (43) have been directly involved in more goals.

    With the 20-year-old excelling at Signal Iduna Park and with Dortmund facing a battle to qualify for next season's Champions League, rumours have persisted that the player could seek to leave before next season.

    Manchester City, Manchester United, Chelsea, Real Madrid and Barcelona have been touted as the most likely destinations for Haaland, who could command a fee in the region of €150million, according to reports.

    Raiola, however, says Dortmund are insistent they are not prepared to sell the forward this year, although he indicated he would be prepared to speak with interested parties.

    "I can confirm that I have held some talks in Dortmund," Raiola told Sport1. "There's no war between Dortmund and us, absolutely not.

    "My relation to [Dortmund directors] Michael Zorc, Aki Watzke and Sebastian Kehl is as good as it was before.

    "Zorc has made it clear that Dortmund do not want to sell Erling this summer. I respect his opinion, which does not automatically mean that I share it. BVB made their views very clear. That's okay for us."

  • RB Leipzig sign Henrichs on permanent deal RB Leipzig sign Henrichs on permanent deal

    RB Leipzig have completed a permanent deal for Benjamin Henrichs, who has been on loan at the Bundesliga club in the 2020-21 season.

    Henrichs has made 15 appearances in all competitions since joining from Monaco, with his campaign hampered by injury issues.

    However, the Germany international contributed his first goal involvement on Saturday, providing the assist as captain Marcel Sabitzer completed the scoring in second-placed Leipzig's 4-1 triumph at Werder Bremen.

    The 24-year-old has signed a contract that runs through to 2025 after the purchase option was activated, reportedly at a cost of €15million.

    "Since first coming to Leipzig, it’s been my goal to stay for the long term. I feel really good here and am pleased to be an RB Leipzig player for the coming years," Henrichs told Leipzig's website.

    "The injuries I've suffered this season are completely behind me. Now I want to get back at it along with the rest of the team."

    Leipzig's resounding triumph over Bremen allowed them to close the gap to leaders Bayern Munich, who were surprisingly held to a 1-1 draw by Union Berlin at the weekend.

    Julian Nagelsmann's side trail the reigning league champions by five points with eight games remaining.

    Henrichs previously played for Bayer Leverkusen before joining Monaco in 2018.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.