EPL

Henderson: Liverpool squad strength makes winning run easy

By Sports Desk December 07, 2019

Jordan Henderson helped a much-changed Liverpool to a 3-0 win over Bournemouth and then claimed it is "easy" for the unbeaten Premier League leaders to maintain their good form due to their squad depth.

Jurgen Klopp made seven changes from the side that beat Everton 5-2 on Wednesday and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Naby Keita and Mohamed Salah – three of those who came in – were all on target.

The victory, the Reds' 15th out of 16 in the division this season, ensured they will end the day 11 points clear at the top of the table.

With Klopp shuffling his pack at the start of a gruelling run of games, Henderson was asked whether it was difficult to maintain momentum when such wholesale changes are made.

"When you've got so many good players, it's easy," the Reds captain said.

"They've been working every single day, not only the people that might have played a lot of games. People might want more game time but in training the intensity is always high, everyone's pushing each other, and I think the lads that have come in have been outstanding.

"We need to use the whole squad. The manager has said all the way through the season there's going to be a lot of games, so we need everybody and that's proven the case so far. We need to keep that going right until the end."

Liverpool also recorded their first clean sheet since September in the league, with Bournemouth unable to muster a single shot on target against returning goalkeeper Alisson.

"It's a start but one's no good, we want more and more and more," Henderson added.

"I thought it was a proper performance, both defensively and offensively.

"We'll be happy with that, but we want to improve, want to keep going and onto the next game."

Related items

  • Nubel will learn behind Neuer at Bayern Munich, says Kahn Nubel will learn behind Neuer at Bayern Munich, says Kahn

    Manuel Neuer will be number one at Bayern Munich next season and will help Alexander Nubel to develop, according to Oliver Kahn.

    Neuer's contract expires in 2021 and there are reports of an impasse in talks over a new deal, leading to suggestions the 34-year-old could be moved on at the end of the season.

    Bayern have already signed Nubel on a five-year deal, with the Schalke goalkeeper to switch to the Allianz Arena on a free transfer ahead of the next campaign.

    However, Bayern board member and former keeper Kahn expects Nubel to be second choice next term, as he predicts Neuer will continue at the highest level for some time.

    "In general, as I have shown myself, goalkeepers can of course play into old age, but maintaining a high level is a great challenge," Kahn, who retired at 38, told Sport Bild.

    "In Alexander Nubel, we get a highly talented goalkeeper, who has the chance to develop and learn behind Manuel Neuer. Not many have the opportunity to work with the best goalkeeper in the world every day."

    While 2019-20 is on hiatus due to the coronavirus pandemic, Bayern are said to be putting transfer plans in place ahead of next season.

    Interim boss Hansi Flick said this month that he believes coaches should have the power to veto transfers proposed by club managers, amid suggestions he has been at odds with sporting director Hasan Salihamidzic over Bayern's planning.

    Kahn admits it is important that Bayern "march in one direction in order to develop the team further".

    He added: "Of course, the coach is a very important factor in terms of transfer plans. Hasan Salihamidzic, Hansi Flick and I discussed and coordinated this and other topics intensively.

    "The coach can and should put forward his ideas."

  • Ceballos uncertain on Arsenal future and 'wants to be important' Ceballos uncertain on Arsenal future and 'wants to be important'

    Dani Ceballos recognises he faces an uncertain future at Arsenal and wants to "be important for my new team".

    Spain midfielder Ceballos is on a season-long loan at the Gunners from Real Madrid, a deal which is due to expire on June 30.

    With nearly all of European football on lockdown due to the coronavirus pandemic, it remains to be seen when or even if the season will be finished and what the situation is for players like Ceballos if the campaign heads into July.

    Ceballos has had a hit-and-miss time at Arsenal, missing chunks of the season due to injury, but had worked his way into Mikel Arteta's plans before the Premier League ground to a halt.

    And the 23-year-old is unsure how things will pan out.

    "I finish my contract on June 30 but I would have to [continue to] play for Arsenal [when football returns]. I don't know how [that would work with his loan technically having finished]," he told El Chiringuito de Jugones.

    "It would be irresponsible from my side to talk about my future. The most important thing will be to be important for my new team. 

    "I came to Arsenal to be an important player but in the last month that all disappeared [due to coronavirus stopping football]."

    In January, it was reported Valencia were interested in taking over Ceballos' loan, while he has also been linked with Sevilla.

    However, the latter move is not one that particularly appeals given he used to play for Sevilla's fierce rivals Real Betis.

    "I knew about Valencia's interest in having my services. There was also talk of Sevilla and Betis," he added.

    "When they connect you with these teams it is for a reason. I am very Betis and it would be difficult for me to play for Sevilla. 

    "I would only play for Betis, it is my team and the one that gave me the opportunity to be a footballer. I did not get to speak with Julen Lopetegui to sign for Sevilla."

  • Martinelli, Romero and stars who could emerge for 2021 Copa America Martinelli, Romero and stars who could emerge for 2021 Copa America

    Squads for the upcoming Copa America could look vastly different by the time the tournament comes around following its postponement.

    The latest edition of the competition was scheduled to start in June, but the coronavirus pandemic has seen it pushed back 12 months.

    Some veteran players might now fade from the picture before the Copa America gets under way next year, while other stars will have time to recover from injury.

    There could also be some new faces on the scene, with a host of uncapped prospects given an extra campaign to break through.

    We take a look at five players who might emerge between now and the tournament.

     

    GABRIEL MARTINELLI (BRAZIL)

    Even beyond Neymar, Roberto Firmino, Gabriel Jesus and co., Brazil have a wealth of attacking talent.

    Matheus Cunha and Paulinho each starred at this year's CONMEBOL Pre-Olympic Tournament and are already plying their trade in the Bundesliga, yet the nation's most outstanding prospect might reside in London.

    Gabriel Martinelli is eligible for both Brazil and Italy, but the Selecao will surely move swiftly to cap-tie the striker.

    Martinelli trained with Brazil last year aged 17 after starring for Ituano, and he has continued to impress in his first season at Arsenal, scoring 10 goals in all competitions.

    Further progress in the coming season would give Tite something to think about.

     

    CRISTIAN ROMERO (ARGENTINA)

    Argentina have long had problems at centre-back, with Manchester City defender Nicolas Otamendi still a regular at international level.

    However, head coach Lionel Scaloni could soon have greater options to choose from, with younger talents now breaking through.

    Nehuen Perez might well have gone to the 2020 Copa America, having been called up for the first time late last year after promising loan spells away from Atletico Madrid, but he could soon find himself nudged back down the pecking order.

    Cristian Romero appears well-placed to establish himself, having earned a €26million move from Genoa to Juventus at the start of the season, although he returned on loan to his former club, who are enduring a testing campaign.

    With Giorgio Chiellini and Leonardo Bonucci ageing, Romero should get opportunities with Juve next term - and Argentina could soon come calling.

     

    DIEGO ROSSI (URUGUAY)

    Uruguay continue to rely on a number of their veterans of previous tournaments, but this will have to change in the coming months and years - especially in attack.

    Luis Suarez faced a race to be fit for the 2020 edition, while Edinson Cavani's club future is in doubt as his Paris Saint-Germain contract expires. Even Cristhian Stuani is now playing in Spain's second tier. All three are 33 years old.

    And Diego Rossi should back himself to be in position to put pressure on that star trio in 12 months' time.

    Rossi left Penarol for Los Angeles FC aged 19 and has proven an instant hit in MLS, scoring 29 goals in 68 regular-season appearances, helping his club win the 2019 Supporters' Shield.

    LAFC general manager John Thorrington has spoken of "significant interest" in Rossi from Europe, and such a move would give the forward a great chance of making the grade for Uruguay.

     

    JORGE CARRASCAL (COLOMBIA)

    Rossi's LAFC team-mates Eddie Segura and Eduard Atuesta both appear set for first Colombia caps, but Jorge Carrascal might now have nudged to the front of that queue.

    A tricky winger who debuted for Millonarios at just 16, Carrascal initially struggled after joining River Plate on loan from Ukraine's Karpaty Lviv last year.

    However, Carrascal improved as the season went on, earning a permanent switch to River - and, crucially, a call-up to the Colombia Under-23s.

    Representing his country at youth level for the first time since 2015, the 21-year-old scored in each of his first three games at the Pre-Olympic Tournament and started all seven matches.

    A return to the River Plate XI this year could see Carrascal earn a senior Colombia call-up.


    REINIER (BRAZIL)

    It might seem a long shot for a player who has yet to feature for Real Madrid's first team and started only twice at the Pre-Olympic Tournament to be playing for Brazil's senior side in just over a year's time.

    But Reinier will have the benefit of 12 months in the limelight at one of the world's biggest clubs.

    After signing from Flamengo for €30m, Reinier netted a brace in just his third Castilla appearance - his final match before the coronavirus crisis intervened.

    The pre-season will be key if the 18-year-old is to get a chance at Madrid in 2020-21, and there is no reason why he could not then do enough to catch Tite's eye.

    Vinicius Junior made a big-money move from Flamengo to Madrid in 2018 and had debuted for Brazil within 12 months of his LaLiga bow. The path is clear.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.