Zidane finds positives as Real Madrid edge out Espanyol

By Sports Desk December 07, 2019

Zinedine Zidane admitted Real Madrid lacked fluency in their 2-0 win over Espanyol and said the team "can do much better", yet he still had saw positives at the Santiago Bernabeu.

Goals from Zidane's French compatriots Raphael Varane and Karim Benzema saw off the lowly visitors from Barcelona.

There were promising performances from the likes of striker Vinicius Junior and midfielder Federico Valverde, two youngsters of whom much is expected in the coming years.

But it was largely an underwhelming display by a team that ultimately ground down their opponents, Madrid's pedigree telling in the end despite Ferland Mendy's late red card.

"Today, we have to be happy because we continue on a good run," Zidane said afterwards.

"Of course, we can do much better, but we played a very serious game, respecting the opposition, and that is the most important thing."

Zidane said that 19th-placed Espanyol "do not deserve to be where they are in the table", and he acknowledged: "I think we controlled our own game, even though we were missing a bit of fluidity.

"Despite this, I'm happy because we scored two goals and didn't concede."

He added that he continues to feel pride at coaching Madrid in his second spell in the post, saying: "I am fortunate to be here with them.

"It is they who are fighting on the pitch and we have a very good squad. There is still a lot of work and let's not forget where we came from."

After winning three Champions League titles in his first spell as head coach, Zidane is jostling for more silverware this season, and his side are battling Barcelona for LaLiga supremacy, inching ahead of their great rivals at least for a few hours with their latest victory.

Asked about Valverde's lively display, Zidane said of the 21-year-old Uruguayan: "Fede has a place for many years here because he is demonstrating what he has, he is an important player, like everyone else.

"He is very young; when he plays, he doesn't have any trouble with the ball and without the ball. And when he plays, he does well."

Zidane also highlighted his other options in midfield, including Luka Modric, who came off the bench late on, and Isco, who was not used.

Modric, who was celebrating his new status as a Ballon d'Or winner this time last year, still has a major role to play for Madrid, as Zidane stressed: "He knows that occasionally he'll miss a game. But physically he can hold up very well."

In attack, Madrid continue to rely on the goals of Benzema, but they have a major talent in 19-year-old Brazilian Vinicius Junior.

His pace and dribbling caused Espanyol problems at times, and Zidane is sure the goals, in short supply for now, will come.

"The important thing is his work. What he has done, he has done well, both in attack and in defence," Zidane said. "I don't ask anyone for goals. That is a consequence of what the team does."

Related items

  • Setien accepts future out of his hands as Bartomeu hints at changes after Bayern humiliation Setien accepts future out of his hands as Bartomeu hints at changes after Bayern humiliation

    Quique Setien accepts his Barcelona future is out of his hands, as the club's president Josep Maria Bartomeu hinted at changes after Champions League humiliation.

    Barca slumped to a remarkable 8-2 defeat to Bayern Munich in the Champions League quarter-finals on Friday, as a frustrating season ended on a dismal note.

    The loss seems to leave Setien – appointed in January as Ernesto Valverde's replacement – on the brink, with Barca having failed to win a trophy for the first time since the 2007-08 campaign.

    Although Setien accepted a defeat of this nature has done his chances of keeping the job little good, he also insisted it was no time to be discussing his future.

    "It's a tremendously painful defeat. They scored more goals that they merited. We started pretty well but the power of the opponents, in many phases of the play, overran us," the former Real Betis coach told Movistar.

    "I think that right now it's too soon to be talking about whether I stay at the club or not. The reality is that it doesn't depend on me.

    "It's worth all of us working out what's important and considering a wide range of things that correspond to a defeat of this importance, and one that is so painful.

    "I am aware of what a defeat of this calibre means. What has happened must be analysed from a broader perspective, but the credibility of a coach when this happens decreases. But it's not what I care about right now."

    In the aftermath of the defeat, Gerard Pique claimed big changes have to be made at Barca, not just with the coaching and playing staff, but throughout the club, and Setien echoed the defender's sentiment.

    "I'm not going to talk about what is needed at the club, I've been here for just a few months," Setien said.

    "If Gerard Pique says that it's time for big changes, there's going to be importance to his words. It's time for us to review and take the decisions which are needed for the future."

    Those changes may already be afoot, with president Bartomeu – whose position has come under increased scrutiny – apologising to Barca's fans and confirming some decisions have already been made.

    "I congratulate Bayern. Pique is right. It was a disaster," Bartomeu told Movistar. "We will make decisions – some we have already made and we will say in [the coming] days.

    "I am not going to say now what the decisions are because some were already taken before this game. Next week those decisions will be explained."

  • It's shameful – Pique calls for big changes at Barcelona following Bayern capitulation It's shameful – Pique calls for big changes at Barcelona following Bayern capitulation

    Gerard Pique called for "changes at all levels" at Barcelona after Quique Setien's side were thrashed 8-2 by Bayern Munich in the Champions League.

    After finishing second to Real Madrid in LaLiga and failing in the Copa del Rey this season, Barca's final hopes of silverware were dashed in remarkable fashion in Lisbon on Friday.

    Thomas Muller, Ivan Perisic, Serge Gnabry, Joshua Kimmich, Robert Lewandowski and Philippe Coutinho – who came on to score twice in the space of four minutes against his parent club – handed Bayern an emphatic victory at Estadio da Luz.

    While Bayern can look forward to a semi-final against either Manchester City or Lyon, Barca must now contemplate a rebuild ahead of the new season.

    It is a project which centre-back Pique insists has to be carried out, and he believes any changes made must not just be limited to the coaching or playing staff.

    "I'm in pain. We all are. We can't compete like that," Pique told Movistar. "It's very, very tough to take. Nothing more is worth saying.

    "The club needs changes. Not just the players, I don't want to point out anyone.

    "It's shameful. Shame is the word. Structurally we need changes at all levels."

    Pique even acknowledged that his time at the club may have come to an end, if he is deemed surplus to requirements.

    "If I have to go in order to change things I'll be the first to accept that. This was a horrible game... it's a dreadful feeling," the 33-year-old added.

    "Football is a sport where change is constantly required. We must change the dynamic we are on because I believe we have just hit bottom.

    "We have to look around, we have to trust that people will do the right things for the club.

    "Is it an end of an era, I'm not sure? But I know that we must accept that we have hit bottom. Not just players the but, as a club, we aren't on the right road.

    "We have had years of success but we haven't won the league and we haven't won in Europe and we have to compete. You've seen it on the pitch and this today is unacceptable."

  • Barcelona defender Umtiti tests positive for coronavirus Barcelona defender Umtiti tests positive for coronavirus

    Barcelona have revealed Samuel Umtiti has tested positive for coronavirus.

    The French defender's status was announced following COVID-19 tests carried out among the Barca squad on Thursday.

    Umtiti is asymptomatic and isolating at home, the club revealed, though the centre-back was already certain to miss the Champions League quarter-final against Bayern Munich.

    The 26-year-old - who has made just 18 appearances in all competitions in the 2019-20 season - had not travelled with his team-mates to Lisbon due to a knee injury.

    "After the PCR tests carried out on Thursday, the first-team player Samuel Umtiti has tested positive for COVID-19," Barcelona said in a statement.

    "The players is asymptomatic, is in good health and isolating at home.

    "The club has informed the relevant sporting and health authorities, as well as tracing all the people who have had contact with the player so that they can undergo the corresponding PCR tests."

    With Umtiti unavailable, compatriot Clement Lenglet was chosen to start alongside Gerard Pique at the heart of Barcelona's defence for Friday's clash with Bundesliga champions Bayern.

     

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.