Bale 'not ecstatic' to be at Real Madrid but has never asked to leave - agent

By Sports Desk December 05, 2019

Gareth Bale's agent says the Wales forward has never asked to leave Real Madrid even though he is "not ecstatic" at the club.

Bale's relationship with Madrid's fans, coaching staff and the Spanish media has become strained this year.

Madrid head coach Zinedine Zidane said in July it would be "best for everyone" if Bale left the club ahead of a proposed switch to China's Jiangsu Suning.

However, the deal collapsed and the 30-year-old has remained with the LaLiga side.

Bale's agent Jonathan Barnett said the player has never requested a move away from Madrid.

"He has never asked to leave," Barnett told the BBC's Euro Leagues Podcast.

"He has a contract with Real Madrid and as long as they want him, there's not much anyone can do about it.

"No-one has ever accused him of not giving 100 per cent and a 100 per cent Gareth Bale is one of the best players in the world. The coach should be happy and honoured he is on the pitch for him.

"There's no guarantee he is leaving. If the right opportunity came along for him and it's something he wants to do, we have to have a chat with the president of Real Madrid and see where we are."

Barnett acknowledged Bale, who has won the Champions League four times and LaLiga with Madrid, was not thrilled to still at the club.

"He's not ecstatic," Barnett added, when asked whether Bale was happy at the Bernabeu.

"He has got a contract and as long as he is a Real Madrid player he will play at 100 per cent – and do very well. 

"He wants to win the championship and the European championship and everything else. It will not affect his performance.

"The facts and figures prove if he is on the field for Real Madrid they have a better chance of winning."

Bale held a flag up, after Wales beat Hungary in a Euro 2020 qualifier, which claimed he put his country and time on the golf course ahead of Madrid.

"It was directed only to the media because they had been writing very infantile and stupid stories from people that do not know him," Barnett said of the 'Wales. Golf. Madrid. In that order' banner.

"The truth is he has done fantastically for Real Madrid in the years he has been there and helped them win so much."

Related items

  • Setien accepts future out of his hands as Bartomeu hints at changes after Bayern humiliation Setien accepts future out of his hands as Bartomeu hints at changes after Bayern humiliation

    Quique Setien accepts his Barcelona future is out of his hands, as the club's president Josep Maria Bartomeu hinted at changes after Champions League humiliation.

    Barca slumped to a remarkable 8-2 defeat to Bayern Munich in the Champions League quarter-finals on Friday, as a frustrating season ended on a dismal note.

    The loss seems to leave Setien – appointed in January as Ernesto Valverde's replacement – on the brink, with Barca having failed to win a trophy for the first time since the 2007-08 campaign.

    Although Setien accepted a defeat of this nature has done his chances of keeping the job little good, he also insisted it was no time to be discussing his future.

    "It's a tremendously painful defeat. They scored more goals that they merited. We started pretty well but the power of the opponents, in many phases of the play, overran us," the former Real Betis coach told Movistar.

    "I think that right now it's too soon to be talking about whether I stay at the club or not. The reality is that it doesn't depend on me.

    "It's worth all of us working out what's important and considering a wide range of things that correspond to a defeat of this importance, and one that is so painful.

    "I am aware of what a defeat of this calibre means. What has happened must be analysed from a broader perspective, but the credibility of a coach when this happens decreases. But it's not what I care about right now."

    In the aftermath of the defeat, Gerard Pique claimed big changes have to be made at Barca, not just with the coaching and playing staff, but throughout the club, and Setien echoed the defender's sentiment.

    "I'm not going to talk about what is needed at the club, I've been here for just a few months," Setien said.

    "If Gerard Pique says that it's time for big changes, there's going to be importance to his words. It's time for us to review and take the decisions which are needed for the future."

    Those changes may already be afoot, with president Bartomeu – whose position has come under increased scrutiny – apologising to Barca's fans and confirming some decisions have already been made.

    "I congratulate Bayern. Pique is right. It was a disaster," Bartomeu told Movistar. "We will make decisions – some we have already made and we will say in [the coming] days.

    "I am not going to say now what the decisions are because some were already taken before this game. Next week those decisions will be explained."

  • It's shameful – Pique calls for big changes at Barcelona following Bayern capitulation It's shameful – Pique calls for big changes at Barcelona following Bayern capitulation

    Gerard Pique called for "changes at all levels" at Barcelona after Quique Setien's side were thrashed 8-2 by Bayern Munich in the Champions League.

    After finishing second to Real Madrid in LaLiga and failing in the Copa del Rey this season, Barca's final hopes of silverware were dashed in remarkable fashion in Lisbon on Friday.

    Thomas Muller, Ivan Perisic, Serge Gnabry, Joshua Kimmich, Robert Lewandowski and Philippe Coutinho – who came on to score twice in the space of four minutes against his parent club – handed Bayern an emphatic victory at Estadio da Luz.

    While Bayern can look forward to a semi-final against either Manchester City or Lyon, Barca must now contemplate a rebuild ahead of the new season.

    It is a project which centre-back Pique insists has to be carried out, and he believes any changes made must not just be limited to the coaching or playing staff.

    "I'm in pain. We all are. We can't compete like that," Pique told Movistar. "It's very, very tough to take. Nothing more is worth saying.

    "The club needs changes. Not just the players, I don't want to point out anyone.

    "It's shameful. Shame is the word. Structurally we need changes at all levels."

    Pique even acknowledged that his time at the club may have come to an end, if he is deemed surplus to requirements.

    "If I have to go in order to change things I'll be the first to accept that. This was a horrible game... it's a dreadful feeling," the 33-year-old added.

    "Football is a sport where change is constantly required. We must change the dynamic we are on because I believe we have just hit bottom.

    "We have to look around, we have to trust that people will do the right things for the club.

    "Is it an end of an era, I'm not sure? But I know that we must accept that we have hit bottom. Not just players the but, as a club, we aren't on the right road.

    "We have had years of success but we haven't won the league and we haven't won in Europe and we have to compete. You've seen it on the pitch and this today is unacceptable."

  • Benfica complete triple swoop for Vertonghen, Everton and Waldschmidt Benfica complete triple swoop for Vertonghen, Everton and Waldschmidt

    Benfica have confirmed the signings of Jan Vertonghen, Everton Soares and Luca Waldschmidt.

    In an announcement on Friday, Benfica revealed the three additions to coach Jorge Jesus' squad.

    Vertonghen, who will wear the number five shirt, arrives as a free agent after the experienced Belgium defender left Tottenham at the end of the 2019-20 Premier League season.

    Meanwhile, Everton – who was also linked with the English club of the same name – has joined for an undisclosed fee from Gremio.

    The 24-year-old winger has made 14 appearances for Brazil, scoring three goals.

    Waldschmidt arrives from Bundesliga club Freiburg, having netted seven league goals to help his former side finish eighth in 2019-20.

    A three-time Germany international, Waldschmidt will wear the number 10 jersey.

    Benfica finished second in Portugal's Primeira Liga last term, five points behind champions Porto.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.