Smalling calls for Corriere dello Sport to 'take responsibility' after 'highly insensitive' headline

By Sports Desk December 05, 2019

Chris Smalling has said Corriere dello Sport's editors must "take responsibility" for the newspaper's 'Black Friday' headline, which he has described as "wrong and highly insensitive".

Smalling, who has excelled on loan at Roma from Manchester United this season, was featured on the front page of Thursday's edition of the Italian publication, alongside his former team-mate Romelu Lukaku.

The headline – referencing the first Friday after Thanksgiving in the United States when retail sales mark the start of the Christmas shopping period – was used apparently in reference to the skin colour of both Smalling and Lukaku ahead of Roma's clash with Serie A leaders Inter on Friday.

The newspaper's choice has been widely criticised, with Roma, who along with the rest of Serie A's clubs recently demanded authorities do more to tackle racism in Italian football, among those to express disappointment.

Smalling has now responded, with the defender posting on his official Twitter account: "Whilst I would have liked to spend the day focusing on the big game tomorrow, it is important that I acknowledge that what occurred this morning was wrong and highly insensitive.

"I hope the editors involved in running this headline take responsibility and understand the power they possess through words, and the impact those words can have.

"A big shout to Roma for the support! Now let the battle commence Rom, daje Roma!"

Lukaku also reacted, labelling the newspaper's headline as the "dumbest" he has ever known.

He wrote: "Instead of focusing on a battle between two teams.. Corriere dello Sport comes with the most dumbest of headlines I have ever seen in my career.

"You guys keep fuelling the negativity and the racism issue. Instead of talking about the beautiful game that's going to be played at San Siro between two great clubs.

"Education is key. You guys of Corriere dello Sport should do a better job at that."

Earlier on Thursday, Corriere dello Sport's editor described the headline as "innocent".

The newspaper said the headline reflected "the pride of difference, the wonderful wealth of difference", adding: "If you don't get it, it is because you can't or you don't want to."

Lukaku's agent, Federico Pastorello, hit out at the publication and acknowledged Italian football has issues with racism within the game. Pastorello said it was also a wider cultural problem in Italy.

Related items

  • Coronavirus: Bundesliga aiming for early May restart behind closed doors Coronavirus: Bundesliga aiming for early May restart behind closed doors

    The Bundesliga is aiming to resume in early May with games behind closed doors, German Football League (DFL) chief executive Christian Seifert has revealed.

    Germany's top two divisions have been suspended until April 30 due to the coronavirus pandemic.

    According to the John Hopkins University, the country has had over 110,000 cases of COVID-19 infection – the fourth most in Europe – with more than 2,100 deaths.

    Seifert confirmed to the New York Times plans are being put in place for the Bundesliga and 2. Bundesliga to restart with spectator-free matches next month.

    "We are part of the culture in the country, people long to get back a short piece of normal life, and that could mean the Bundesliga plays again," Seifert said.

    "This is why we have to play our role here, and that means to support the government and to talk with the government about when we will be able to play again.

    "The sooner we are finished, the more flexibility we can provide to the European football landscape."

    Seifert also suggested that cancelling the season could put five Bundesliga clubs in serious financial trouble, while half the teams in the second tier would be "very much in danger to file for bankruptcy".

    Bayern Munich chief executive Herbert Hainer said he expects the pandemic to lead to a significant reduction in transfer fees. Seifert believes a full collapse is on the cards.

    "In the short term, I would say the transfer market this summer will not exist, it will collapse," he said.

    "Some agents will suddenly understand that they will have to work hard, or at least work; some leagues will understand that money is nothing that is coming automatically every month from heaven."

  • Coronavirus: Premier League stars announce #PlayersTogether charity fund Coronavirus: Premier League stars announce #PlayersTogether charity fund

    Premier League stars have announced the creation of a charity fund to help health services in the United Kingdom during the coronavirus pandemic.

    Players including Liverpool and Manchester United captains Jordan Henderson and Harry Maguire confirmed the plans in a social media statement on Tuesday.

    The announcement comes after UK health secretary Matt Hancock had urged the highest-paid footballers in the country to "play their part" in helping key services during the COVID-19 crisis.

    Those comments attracted criticism from some in the sport, including United manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, who said it was unfair to paint players as an easy target while discussions about contributions to health services and charities were ongoing.

    The statement said: "Over the course of the last week we, as a group of Premier League players, have held numerous talks together with the vision of creating a contribution fund that can be used to distribute money to where it's needed most in this COVID-19 crisis; helping those fighting for us on the NHS frontline as well as other key areas of need. This is a critical time for our country and for our NHS, and we are determined to help in any way that we can.

    "We can confirm that after extensive conversations between a huge number of players from all Premier League clubs we have created our own collective player initiative, #PlayersTogether, and have partnered with NHS Charities Together (NHSCT) in order to assist them in generating and distributing funds quickly and efficiently to where they are needed most.

    "NHSCT is the national umbrella organisation for over 150 registered charities, working closely with the Charity Commission, Department of Health and Social Care, and NHS England to represent, champion, and support the NHS' official charities. NHSCT are the official charity partner of the NHS nationally.

    "The contributions that this initiative will generate will help NHSCT quickly grant funds to the front line to support in a number of ways, including to help enhance the well-being of NHS staff, volunteers and patients impacted by COVID-19 as well as helping them in their work supporting many other critical areas of need both now and in the longer term.

    "#PlayersTogether is about we, as players, collaborating together to create a voluntary initiative, separate to any other club and league conversations, that can help get much needed funds to those that need it right now. To try and help, along with so many others in the country, make a real difference.

    "Our prayers and thoughts go out to everybody affected by this crisis. By sticking together, we will get through this."

  • Haaland already the best in the box in Europe, claims Nordtveit Haaland already the best in the box in Europe, claims Nordtveit

    Borussia Dortmund striker Erling Haaland is the best in Europe in the box and could well be the world's leading talent in the future, according to Norway team-mate Havard Nordtveit.

    After surging into the spotlight with a series of phenomenal Champions League displays at Salzburg, Dortmund stumped up €25million to activate the release clause in Haaland's contract and bring him to the Bundesliga.

    The 19-year-old has maintained his stunning form, scoring 12 goals in 11 appearances – seven of which have come as part of the starting line-up – in all competitions for BVB before the coronavirus pandemic brought a halt to action in all major leagues across Europe.

    Nordtveit, who also plays in the Bundesliga with Hoffenheim, expects Haaland to remain on an upward trajectory in part due to his dedication in off-field areas.

    "He is perhaps already the best in Europe in the penalty area. He is also super professional, focusing a lot on things like sleep and nutrition," Nordtveit told SID.

    "He does everything he can to become the best player in the world. It could work out.

    "He has already broken the boundaries. You can barely stop him. Give him a few more years. If he can use his body even more, it will be difficult for any defender in the Bundesliga and from bigger leagues."

    He added: "He's not a superstar in the dressing room. He has remained true to himself and a great person."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.