Inter, Milan and other Serie A clubs react to controversial 'Black Friday' headline

By Sports Desk December 05, 2019

Inter have stated "we are and always will be opposed to any form of discrimination" amid an Italian newspaper sparking a racism storm with a controversial front-page headline.

Corriere dello Sport previewed the upcoming Serie A game between Inter and Roma with a front-page "Black Friday" headline between images of Romelu Lukaku and Chris Smalling, a choice of wording that has attracted widespread criticism.

"Black Friday", a term used to describe the first Friday after Thanksgiving in the United States when retail sales mark the start of the Christmas shopping period, saw the publication focus on the reunion of former Manchester United team-mates Smalling and Lukaku, both of whom are black.

Roma quickly criticised an editorial decision they suggest "not a single soul" would find appropriate, and rival Serie A clubs, including Inter, subsequently reacted.

Corriere issued a statement insisting the headline was not racist, claiming it had been "transformed into poison by those who have poison in themselves".

Inter posted to their official Twitter page: "Football is passion, culture and brotherhood. We are and always will be opposed to any form of discrimination."

Anti-discrimination body FARE posted a screenshot of Corriere's front page with the caption: "The media fuels racism every day."

Milan and Fiorentina joined Roma and Inter in commenting on the headline.

"It is totally unacceptable to see such casual ignorance on racism," Milan said. "We will not stay silent on this issue."

Fiorentina shared the image with a facepalm emoji and a single word: "Speechless."

A series of incidents have blighted Italian football this season, with Lukaku, Mario Balotelli and Franck Kessie each targeted for racist abuse.

All 20 Serie A clubs last week united to call on fans to support them in an anti-racism drive after admitting to a "serious problem".

Related items

  • Rumour Has It: European giants Real Madrid, PSG and Inter circle for Lingard Rumour Has It: European giants Real Madrid, PSG and Inter circle for Lingard

    Jesse Lingard has been in blistering form during his six-month loan spell at West Ham.

    As a result, speculation is rife over the 28-year-old England international's future.

    Lingard is contracted with parent club Manchester United for one more season.

     

    TOP STORY - EUROPEAN GIANTS CIRCLE FOR LINGARD

    European powerhouse clubs Paris Saint-Germain, Real Madrid and Inter are all interested in Lingard, claims ESPN.

    Lingard has scored eight goals in nine games for the Hammers, who are surprisingly sitting fourth in the Premier League.

    ESPN reports those clubs are monitoring Lingard's situation, with West Ham keen to sign him permanently and the player yet to declare a preference, although it is believed he wants to play  Champions League football.

     

    ROUND-UP

    - Serbia international Sergei Milinkovic-Savic has garnered interest from European giants Manchester United, Real Madrid and Paris Saint-Germain, according to La Gazzetta dello Sport. The midfielder is contracted with Lazio until 2024.

    - Manchester United may have missed out on Borussia Dortmund's Jadon Sancho last off-season but they are set to revive their interest, says the Manchester Evening News.

    - Calciomercato reports that French winger Ousmane Dembele is open to joining Juventus from Barcelona in the next transfer window.

    - Tottenham are making their move to sign off-contract Bayern Munich defender Jerome Boateng, reports Sky Germany.

    - Arsenal have joined the race to sign Celtic forward Odsonne Edouard, alongside Leicester City, according to the Telegraph.

    - Tuttosport says Torino's Italy international forward Andrea Belotti is being courted by Chelsea, Everton, AC Milan and Atletico Madrid.

    - Fiorentina want to hire Gennaro Gattuso from Napoli as their next coach, claims Sky Sport Italia. Gattuso is out of contract at Napoli at the end of the season.

  • Borussia Dortmund have made it clear they do not want to sell Haaland – Raiola Borussia Dortmund have made it clear they do not want to sell Haaland – Raiola

    Borussia Dortmund have made it clear they do not want to sell Erling Haaland in the next transfer window, the striker's agent Mino Raiola has said.

    Haaland has become arguably the most in-demand player in Europe following a spectacular individual season for Dortmund, despite the team's inconsistencies.

    Haaland has scored 33 goals and provided nine assists in 34 appearances in all competitions this term. Among players in Europe's top-five leagues, only Robert Lewandowski (50), Harry Kane (45) and Kylian Mbappe (43) have been directly involved in more goals.

    With the 20-year-old excelling at Signal Iduna Park and with Dortmund facing a battle to qualify for next season's Champions League, rumours have persisted that the player could seek to leave before next season.

    Manchester City, Manchester United, Chelsea, Real Madrid and Barcelona have been touted as the most likely destinations for Haaland, who could command a fee in the region of €150million, according to reports.

    Raiola, however, says Dortmund are insistent they are not prepared to sell the forward this year, although he indicated he would be prepared to speak with interested parties.

    "I can confirm that I have held some talks in Dortmund," Raiola told Sport1. "There's no war between Dortmund and us, absolutely not.

    "My relation to [Dortmund directors] Michael Zorc, Aki Watzke and Sebastian Kehl is as good as it was before.

    "Zorc has made it clear that Dortmund do not want to sell Erling this summer. I respect his opinion, which does not automatically mean that I share it. BVB made their views very clear. That's okay for us."

  • RB Leipzig sign Henrichs on permanent deal RB Leipzig sign Henrichs on permanent deal

    RB Leipzig have completed a permanent deal for Benjamin Henrichs, who has been on loan at the Bundesliga club in the 2020-21 season.

    Henrichs has made 15 appearances in all competitions since joining from Monaco, with his campaign hampered by injury issues.

    However, the Germany international contributed his first goal involvement on Saturday, providing the assist as captain Marcel Sabitzer completed the scoring in second-placed Leipzig's 4-1 triumph at Werder Bremen.

    The 24-year-old has signed a contract that runs through to 2025 after the purchase option was activated, reportedly at a cost of €15million.

    "Since first coming to Leipzig, it’s been my goal to stay for the long term. I feel really good here and am pleased to be an RB Leipzig player for the coming years," Henrichs told Leipzig's website.

    "The injuries I've suffered this season are completely behind me. Now I want to get back at it along with the rest of the team."

    Leipzig's resounding triumph over Bremen allowed them to close the gap to leaders Bayern Munich, who were surprisingly held to a 1-1 draw by Union Berlin at the weekend.

    Julian Nagelsmann's side trail the reigning league champions by five points with eight games remaining.

    Henrichs previously played for Bayer Leverkusen before joining Monaco in 2018.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.