Roma criticise Italian newspaper for 'Black Friday' headline ahead of Lukaku, Smalling reunion

By Sports Desk December 05, 2019

Roma have criticised an Italian newspaper for previewing their upcoming Serie A game against Inter with a "Black Friday" headline between images of Romelu Lukaku and Chris Smalling.

Corriere dello Sport dedicated its front page to the contest between two of Italy's form teams, but their headline choice has attracted widespread criticism.

"Black Friday", a term used to describe the first Friday after Thanksgiving in the United States when retail sales mark the start of the Christmas shopping period, saw the publication focus on the reunion of former Manchester United team-mates Smalling and Lukaku, both of whom are black.

Roma – who Smalling is playing for on loan – brought the headline to the attention of their followers on Twitter, posting a screenshot of the offending front page and suggesting "not a single soul" would find Corriere's editorial decision to be appropriate.

Inter striker Lukaku and Smalling have been leading stars for their respective teams this season, but the headline is the latest in a series of incidents to have blighted Italian football this season.

Belgium international Lukaku, who is of Congolese descent, was subjected to racist abuse by Cagliari fans in September.

Milan's Franck Kessie was targeted for similar abuse at Hellas Verona later that month, before Smalling called for stronger punishments for racism in October.

Last month Brescia's Mario Balotelli reacted to monkey chants away to Verona by kicking a ball into the stands, while in an unrelated incident the club's president Massimo Cellino was criticised for racially insensitive comments about the Italy striker.

In relation to Balotelli being dropped from the first team, Cellino said: "What can I say? That he's black and he's working to whiten himself but he has great difficulties in this."

A statement from Brescia said the remarks were "clearly a joke said as a paradox" and a "clearly misunderstood... attempt to downplay an excessive media exposure and aimed at protecting the player". 

Related items

  • Kaka picks 'genius' Lionel Messi over Cristiano Ronaldo Kaka picks 'genius' Lionel Messi over Cristiano Ronaldo

    Kaka labelled Lionel Messi a "genius" as he picked the Barcelona superstar over Juventus' Cristiano Ronaldo.

    Messi – winner of a record six Ballons d'Or – and Ronaldo are regarded as two of the greatest ever players, with debate often centred on who stands alone atop the all-time list.

    Kaka played alongside Ronaldo at Real Madrid, but the 2007 Ballon d'Or winner selected Messi as his preferred choice.

    "I played with Cristiano and he's really amazing, but I'll go with Messi," Kaka said when asked who he would pick out of Messi or Ronaldo during an Instagram Live Q&A for FIFA's channel.

    "He's a genius, a pure talent. The way he plays is incredible."

    But on five-time Ballon d'Or winner Ronaldo, Kaka added: "Cristiano is a machine. It's not just the way he's strong, powerful and fast; he's strong mentally.

    "He always wants to win and play. To be the best. For me, that's the most incredible thing he has.

    "In the history of sport, they [Messi and Cristiano] are definitely in the top five. We are very lucky to have been able to see both of them."

  • Barca should prioritise reuniting Neymar with Messi over signing Martinez – Rivaldo Barca should prioritise reuniting Neymar with Messi over signing Martinez – Rivaldo

    Barcelona should prioritise re-signing Neymar from Paris Saint-Germain over bringing Lautaro Martinez to Camp Nou, insisted former star Rivaldo.

    LaLiga champions Barca tried to lure Neymar back to the club following his world-record €222million move to PSG in 2017, however, a deal did not materialise at the start of the season.

    Barca are also reportedly determined to sign Inter's star forward Martinez as they eye a long-term replacement for veteran Luis Suarez.

    Rivaldo – who won a pair of LaLiga titles during his time with the Catalan giants – believes Neymar is ready to lead Barca alongside six-time Ballon d'Or winner Messi.

    "The rumours are growing about Barcelona's intention to sign Neymar and Lautaro Martinez in the next transfer window," Rivaldo wrote in his column for Betfair.

    "Although the young Argentinian is a good player, I think that only Neymar is a certain bet to claim a place in the starting XI side by side with Messi.

    "Looking at the last few years we have seen many valuable players who didn't manage to play alongside Messi - failing to perform under the expectations.

    "But Neymar - like Luis Suarez - is one of the few players in the world that doesn't feel pressure on the pitch, always playing with plenty of personality.

    "He never gets frightened and it would be a safe option for the club while Martinez is a young, talented forward that perhaps in two or three years may become a good signing.

    "For now I think the club should prioritise Neymar. I'm a fan of his qualities and personality and I know that sometimes I'm liable to criticism as some Barcelona fans didn't like the way Neymar decided to leave the club.

    "But the truth is that he is a different player now who should be a nice help to Messi and co. in trying to win another Champions League."

  • Coronavirus: Serie A won't resume until it's safe Coronavirus: Serie A won't resume until it's safe

    The 2019-20 Serie A season will not resume until "health conditions allow it" amid the coronavirus pandemic.

    Serie A was suspended indefinitely last month with Italy hit hard by COVID-19 – more than 14,600 of the global deaths, which has exceeded 58,800, coming from the European country.

    Returning at the end of May had been an initial target but those plans have been scrapped following Friday's meeting between Lega Serie A and the Italian Players' Association (AIC).

    "The Lega Serie A assembly meeting took place this afternoon, with all 20 clubs present via video conference," the statement read.

    "The position that emerged from talks between UEFA, ECA and the European Leagues held yesterday was represented at the meeting.

    "With regards to the possible completion of the remaining Serie A and Coppa Italia matches, Lega Serie A will only consider the resumption of sporting activity when health conditions allow it, adhering, as it has always done, to government decrees and taking into primary consideration the protection of the health of the players and all those involved.

    "In facing the different scenarios, which are still uncertain, Lega Serie A - with the participation of club representatives - will continue to analyse the impact and consequences of COVID-19 on medical, economic, regulatory, sporting and risk-assessment levels for the clubs and Lega Serie A itself in the coming days."

    Defending champions Juventus were one point clear of Lazio through 26 matches when the league was suspended.

    The last Serie A match took place on March 9, with Sassuolo accounting for Brescia 3-0.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.