EPL

Chelsea striker Abraham to be given 'every possible chance' to face Villa - Lampard

By Sports Desk December 03, 2019

Chelsea striker Tammy Abraham will be given "every possible chance" to make his return against Aston Villa on Wednesday, Frank Lampard has said. 

The 22-year-old came off at half-time of the Champions League draw with Valencia on November 27 with a hip injury.

As a result, he missed the 1-0 home defeat to West Ham at the weekend when the Blues failed to score in the Premier League for the first time since the opening weekend of the season.

However, they could have their top scorer back when they host Villa, the club he spent last season on loan with.

"We're giving him every possible chance to be fit," Lampard said at a pre-match news conference.

"He's still got some pain in the area of the injury, [we will] make a judgement tomorrow.

"It's painful for him, so it's a pain threshold and whether it affects his movements. So I wouldn't want to commit today.

"He was in good form and with players that are important, you want to give them as much time.

"He's keen and we're trying our best to give him time, but if he's not ready we have to go in a different route anyway."


Midfielder Ross Barkley is likely to miss out again, though, with the England international having not played for Chelsea in almost two months due to an ankle injury.

The 25-year-old's comeback has been delayed due to illness, while defender Antonio Rudiger is still not ready to return from a groin problem.

"Ross has actually been sick," Lampard added.

"He was ill Sunday night, so he was in this morning but he's not recovered enough to be ready for the game.

"Rudiger is close, he's really stepped up his training, particularly in the last week.

"So we're hoping he'll be available in the next week to 10 days."

Related items

  • Heidenheim 2-2 Werder Bremen (2-2 agg): Visitors retain Bundesliga status on away goals Heidenheim 2-2 Werder Bremen (2-2 agg): Visitors retain Bundesliga status on away goals

    Werder Bremen managed to retain their Bundesliga status thanks to the away goals rule as they drew 2-2 with second-tier Heidenheim.

    In a dramatic second leg of the relegation play-off – with the first encounter having finished goalless – Heidenheim restored parity with a 97th-minute penalty.

    However, it was not enough for the home side, with Ludwig Augustinsson's goal three minutes earlier ensuring Bremen stayed up.

    The visitors had taken the lead thanks to Norman Theuerkauf's early own goal, but Tim Kleindienst's strike five minutes from time set up a thrilling finale as four-time German champions Bremen – who hold the record for the number of seasons in the Bundesliga – stayed up by the skin of their teeth.

  • Tottenham 1-0 Everton: Lloris & Son in flare-up as Spurs claim unconvincing win Tottenham 1-0 Everton: Lloris & Son in flare-up as Spurs claim unconvincing win

    Tottenham bounced back from their defeat to Sheffield United in underwhelming fashion as a Michael Keane own goal earned a 1-0 Premier League win over Everton.

    Spurs' Champions League hopes were left hanging by a thread after they slipped to a limp 3-1 defeat at Bramall Lane last time out.

    Jose Mourinho's men were not much better in the more familiar confines of Tottenham Hotspur Stadium on Monday, but Keane's moment of misfortune proved enough to see off a dismal Everton side.

    Captain Hugo Lloris was involved in a half-time flare-up with Son Heung-min and an unconvincing triumph that moves Tottenham within seven points of fifth-placed Manchester United will do little to improve the mood in the camp.

    Tottenham struggled to break down their visitors in the opening stages but a 21st-minute effort from Lucas Moura almost brought about the opener as his 25-yard effort skimmed the left-hand post.

    Just three minutes later Tottenham were ahead as Giovani Lo Celso's effort took a very fortuitous ricochet off Keane that left Everton goalkeeper Jordan Pickford helpless.

    Despite their half-time advantage, there were clear signs of discord in the Tottenham dressing room as an argument between Lloris and Son threatened to boil over as they left the pitch.

    The pair had to be separated by their team-mates and only the reflexes of Pickford prevented Son from putting further distance between Spurs and Everton after the restart, the England goalkeeper twice denying the South Korea star.

    Spurs had no problem protecting their lead but the prospect of them catching in-form United with five games to play looks an extremely unlikely one.

    What does it mean? Win doesn't paper over cracks for Tottenham

    Tottenham may be back to winning ways, but it was a victory claimed in uninspiring fashion and the frayed tempers Lloris and Son displayed at the interval suggest all may not be well for a team clinging on to faint hopes in the race for Champions League football.

    Son sparked into life

    The heated exchange with Lloris did appear to have a negative impact on Son, who was the only player to offer a genuine threat of scoring in the second half.

    Toffees toothless

    Spurs' may have been punished for their malaise on another day, but Everton offered next to nothing, producing two shots on target that were no test for Lloris.

    What's next?

    Spurs travel to Bournemouth on Thursday, when Everton host Southampton.

  • Barcelona did not conduct smear campaign, investigation finds Barcelona did not conduct smear campaign, investigation finds

    An audit into Barcelona's relationship with I3 Ventures has determined the club did not conduct a smear campaign against third parties.

    Barca's agreement with PR company I3 ventures came under scrutiny in February following claims the firm was hired to clean up club president Josep Maria Bartomeu's image on social media and disparage current and former players critical of his regime.

    Both Barca and I3 Ventures denied the allegations and a report following an audit conducted by PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC) found that the club did not conduct "any defamatory campaigns" against any individual.

    Summarising the report's findings on their official website, Barca wrote that "the contracting of various services related to monitoring and analysis of social networks on behalf of FC Barcelona did not include any defamatory campaigns directed at third parties."

    PwC also found no evidence of corrupt financial conduct and determined that the price paid by Barca I3 Ventures' services was "within market range".

    Responding to the report's findings, Barca said: "The Board of Directors instructs the Club's legal services to continue and, if necessary, bring the relevant legal action against those who have made false and unfounded accusations that have gravely damaged the institution's image and those who form part of it.

    "The contents of this report, and its conclusions, will be also be brought forward in those proceedings launched against the Club based on alleged irregular behaviour that this document clarifies and denies."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.