Ballon d'Or 2019: The moment of withdrawal is approaching - Messi unsure how long he will remain at the top

By Sports Desk December 02, 2019

Barcelona superstar Lionel Messi acknowledged "the moment of withdrawal is approaching" after picking up a record sixth Ballon d'Or crown at Monday's ceremony in Paris.

Messi saw off stiff competition from Liverpool defender Virgil van Dijk to win the award for the first time since 2015, moving him one ahead of Cristiano Ronaldo, who finished third.

The 32-year-old has scored 41 goals in 44 club appearances this calendar year, but he is unsure just how long he will be able to maintain his incredible goalscoring form.

Speaking on stage after collecting the prestigious accolade, a decade on from his first triumph, Messi said: "To the journalists and my colleagues with whom I win and lose, I remember my first Ballon D'Or in Paris, when I arrived with my brothers, now I pick up the sixth, and this was absolutely unthinkable. 

"I never stopped dreaming and enjoying football like when I was a child. I hope I have more years to enjoy, although I am aware of how old I am, everything happens very quickly and I know that the moment of withdrawal is approaching."

Messi is into his 16th season with Barcelona and made his 700th appearance for the LaLiga champions in last week's 3-1 win against Borussia Dortmund.

The Ballon d'Or award has now been won by a player from Spain's top flight in each of the last 11 campaigns, with Luka Modric temporarily breaking Messi and Ronaldo's stronghold on the prize last year.

Related items

  • Odegaard recalled by Real Madrid after Real Sociedad loan Odegaard recalled by Real Madrid after Real Sociedad loan

    Real Sociedad have confirmed midfielder Martin Odegaard has been recalled by Real Madrid ahead of the new LaLiga season.

    Odegaard joined Sociedad last year on a deal that ran for two seasons, although the second had to be ratified this year due to Spanish football regulations.

    It was reported by ESPN that Madrid head coach Zinedine Zidane decided he wanted the player at his disposal for 2020-21 following their Champions League exit at the hands of Manchester City.

    Sociedad announced on Wednesday that the Norway star will be heading back to the Santiago Bernabeu after an "unforgettable season" in the Basque country.

    "His goals, his football, his character, his effort and his humility have ensured Martin will be remembered with immense affection by all the Real family," the club said in a statement.

    Odegaard said he had been "made to feel like just like a player from the youth team" during a hugely encouraging spell with the club.

    The 21-year-old was one of the standout performers for La Real during their challenge for a Champions League place, although a poor run of results after the season resumed in June saw them finish sixth in LaLiga.

    Odegaard scored four goals and assisted a further six in 31 league appearances in 2019-20.

    Zidane is thought to be eager to bolster his midfield options for next term, but Madrid are not expected to make many signings in the off-season due to the financial impact of the coronavirus pandemic.

  • Griezmann: Barcelona will reach Champions League final... I've even packed my PlayStation Griezmann: Barcelona will reach Champions League final... I've even packed my PlayStation

    Antoine Griezmann is expecting Barcelona to make it all the way to the Champions League final on August 23 and quipped he has even packed his PlayStation for his stay in Lisbon.

    Barca saw off Napoli 3-1 in Saturday's last-16 second leg to advance 4-2 on aggregate and set up a meeting with much-fancied Bayern Munich at the Estadio da Luz on Friday.

    Bayern have won 26 and drawn one of their last 27 competitive matches and are the favourites of many to win Europe's premier club competition but Griezmann says Barca are ready to knock the Bavarian giants out.

    "I have the suitcase ready to be in Lisbon until August 23 - I have even brought the PlayStation," he told the club's official website.

    "We have three games left to win the Champions League but we have the tools to achieve it.  Every team has the potential to win a single match.

    "We are looking forward to it, we have worked well tactically and we are ready to play the game. 

    "We know it will be difficult, but we know what we have to do to qualify for the semi-finals. It will be a very good match.

    "We hope to take advantage of the quality we have. We are in a good moment and we can play a good game.

    "We have to be together, up front and at the back, and try to have the ball as much as possible."

    Prolific Bayern striker Robert Lewandowski either scored or assisted all seven of his side's goals in their 7-1 aggregate victory over Chelsea in the first knockout round.

    Griezmann acknowledged it will be tough to stop the Poland international and is well aware of the other attacking talents in the German champions' ranks.

    "Bayern are playing very well, they have a great striker, but we also have the tools to play a great game. We have to look at our strengths and try to qualify," he said.

    "They're a very physical team that's used to having the ball. We have to make life difficult for them and play our game.

    "Bayern are not just Lewandowski. The wingers get forward a lot, [Thomas] Muller, [Serge] Gnabry are also very good. 

    "Lewandowski scores a lot of goals but the danger comes from anywhere."

    Barca have disappointed domestically this season, finishing second to bitter rivals Real Madrid in LaLiga after being knocked out of the Copa del Rey at the quarter-final stage.

    However, the fit-again Griezmann - who lasted 84 minutes against Napoli - is adamant his side have showed signs of progress ahead of their showdown with Bayern.

    "On a personal level it was good for me to have a few days to be able to recover and play against Napoli," he said.

    "In the first minutes of the Napoli game I had no rhythm but little by little I felt better. The team really wanted to play a great game, and we are on the right track."

  • Barcelona's Todibo confirms positive coronavirus test Barcelona's Todibo confirms positive coronavirus test

    Jean-Clair Todibo is the Barcelona player who has tested positive for coronavirus, the defender revealed on social media.

    Earlier on Wednesday, the Blaugrana revealed one of their nine players in pre-season training had returned a positive COVID-19 test.

    The group - mainly consisting of fringe players - had been kept separate from the first team ahead of their Champions League quarter-final against Bayern Munich, meaning that match was not impacted.

    Although Barca did not confirm the identity of the coronavirus case, Todibo took to Twitter to inform supporters of his diagnosis.

    "Hello everyone," he wrote. "I inform you that I have tested positive for COVID-19. I am asymptomatic and I feel fine.

    "I am at home following the proper health protocol. I really want to go back to training, but now it's time to stay home until the virus is over.

    "Thank you all for the support, and encouragement to all the people who are also experiencing it closely."

    Todibo joined Barca from Toulouse in January 2019 but has since made just five appearances for the club in all competitions.

    The 20-year-old spent the second half of the 2019-20 season on loan at Schalke but again struggled to secure regular minutes, making only four Bundesliga starts.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.