Ballon d'Or 2019: Van Dijk 'respects greatness' after losing out to Messi

By Sports Desk December 02, 2019

Virgil van Dijk conceded he had to "respect greatness" after losing out on the 2019 Ballon d'Or to Lionel Messi.

Barcelona and Argentina forward Messi won the prize for a record sixth time having scored 41 times in 44 club appearances for Barcelona, with whom he won a 10th LaLiga title last season.

Success in the Champions League eluded him, though, as Van Dijk helped Liverpool oust Barcelona in the semi-finals en route to a sixth triumph in Europe's most premier club competition.

Van Dijk's performances for the Reds in that competition and with Nations League finalists Netherlands ensured he finished second in the voting for the Ballon d'Or, though he had no qualms about being pipped to the prize by Messi.

"It was amazing," Van Dijk said of his 2019.

"Unfortunately there are a couple of players like him that are a bit unnatural, I think.

"They're fantastic. Six-time Ballon d'Or [winner], you need to respect greatness as well. I was close but there was just someone a little bit better.

"I'm very proud of what I achieved last year with Liverpool, Holland and hopefully we can do that again this year.

"It's going to be tough as long as these guys are around still."

While Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo, who finished third in the voting, have long been considered greats, 28-year-old Van Dijk has had a slower rise to the top.

The former Groningen, Celtic and Southampton defender only won his first international cap four years ago and thinks the recognition he has recently received is a reflection of his attitude.

"I never thought that I would be up for a Ballon d'Or until I was actually nominated," Van Dijk added.

"It says a lot about how my career has been. It's never been easy. My career is just different to the winner here.

"I came late but I never gave up on my dreams. I had to work hard every step of the way. Where I am right now is something I'm very proud of."

Related items

  • Rooney: I'm still Premier League quality Rooney: I'm still Premier League quality

    Wayne Rooney claims he is still good enough to play in the Premier League as the former England striker prepares to take up a player-coach role with Derby County. 

    Rooney scored 208 goals in the English top flight during two spells with boyhood club Everton either side of his time at Manchester United, where he became the club's top scorer.

    He joins a Rams side siting 16th in the second tier, but Rooney believes he can still cut in the top division.

    "I still felt I could do it when I was at Everton, but other people made their decisions on that," said the 34-year-old, who watched Derby lose 1-0 to Millwall at Pride Park on Saturday

    "Now my ambition is to get Derby back in the Premier League and hopefully play my part there for them.

    "Ryan Giggs was able to play into his late thirties in the Premier League and Gareth Barry says he wants to do it at 40.

    "Given the right team around me, then I could still play in the Premier League."

    Rooney plans to go into management in the future, but believes he still has a lot to offer on the pitch if teams play to his strengths.

    "It's important to understand football. It is not all about running round, it is about using your head to play the game," he explained.

    "Sometimes that gets lost, because you don't score as many goals or whatever.

    "The two teams I played for in the Premier League were Manchester United and Everton. I am at Derby now, and hopefully we can get there with them."

  • Szczesny out of Juventus-Udinese match with shoulder problem Szczesny out of Juventus-Udinese match with shoulder problem

    Juventus goalkeeper Wojciech Szczesny will miss the Serie A clash with Udinese after feeling discomfort in his right shoulder ahead of Sunday's game.

    In a statement on social media, Juve said Szczesny reported the problem on the morning of the match and will be rested as a precaution.

    Gianluigi Buffon looks set to start in goal at Allianz Stadium after completing 90 minutes in the midweek Champions League win over Bayer Leverkusen.

    The 41-year-old kept a clean sheet in Germany but made a glaring error in his last Serie A appearance, the 2-2 draw against Sassuolo on December 1.

    Mattia Perin has been added to the matchday squad as Maurizio Sarri's men aim to overtake leaders Inter, who visit Fiorentina later on Sunday.

  • Galliani confirms audacious Monza offer for free agent Ibrahimovic Galliani confirms audacious Monza offer for free agent Ibrahimovic

    Zlatan Ibrahimovic has been offered the chance to join ex-Milan associates Silvio Berlusconi and Adriano Galliani at third-tier Monza on a two-and-a-half-year deal.

    Galliani, the Rossoneri's former chief executive, said he had spoken with the Swede in an audacious attempt to lure him to the Serie C side.

    Confirmation of the contract offer comes after former Milan owner Berlusconi, who purchased Monza in 2018, publicly outlined his desire to reunite with Ibrahimovic.

    The 38-year-old has been a free agent since leaving LA Galaxy after two seasons in MLS.

    "After Berlusconi gave me a mandate, I made the offer to [Ibrahimovic's agent] Mino Raiola," Galliani, now CEO at Monza, told Corriere della Sera.

    "He suggested I talk about it directly with Zlatan, who I speak with every night."

    Galliani explained his pitch: "Come to us, stay six months in Serie C. Then next year we go up to Serie B and in two seasons we are in Serie A."

    Monza are on track to win promotion this term, but signing Ibrahimovic would still represent a major surprise.

    The former Barcelona, Paris Saint-Germain and Manchester United star has been heavily linked with either a return to Milan or a move to Napoli.

    Rumoured suitors Bologna have ruled themselves out of the race, with director Walter Sabatini telling Tuttomercatoweb: "Ibrahimovic will not be coming to Bologna. He has made other choices."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.