Rapinoe wins Women's Ballon d'Or award ahead of Bronze and Morgan

By Sports Desk December 02, 2019

Megan Rapinoe has added another award to her collection after the United States star beat Lucy Bronze and Alex Morgan to win the Ballon d'Or Feminin.

The 34-year-old became a World Cup winner for the second time in July, claiming both the Golden Ball and the Golden Boot in France as her six goals helped Jill Ellis' team retain their trophy.

That led to Rapinoe being named The Best FIFA Women's Player in September and she has now succeeded Ada Hegerberg by winning the second ever Ballon d'Or Feminin.

England and Lyon right-back Bronze finished second in the voting while Rapinoe's USA team-mate Morgan was third.

Related items

  • BREAKING NEWS: Fernandinho signs one-year contract extension with Man City BREAKING NEWS: Fernandinho signs one-year contract extension with Man City

    Fernandinho will not be leaving Manchester City at the end of the season after the Brazilian secured a one-year contract extension.

    The 34-year-old was seemingly set to depart in July, with his previous deal approaching its conclusion, but City have ensured he will be around for at least another season.

    An intelligent combative midfielder, Fernandinho joined City from Shakhtar Donetsk in 2013 and has been a revelation, appearing in at least 29 Premier League matches in every campaign.

    He has remained a key figure this term, playing 20 of the champions' 24 top-flight games, filling in at centre-back for many of those due to City's defensive injury crisis.

    City are already set to lose David Silva this year, with the Spaniard previously confirming his plan to return to Spain to be closer to his family.

    Fernandinho has won three Premier League titles at City, though he looks unlikely to add to that tally this season with Liverpool 16 points clear of Pep Guardiola's men at the summit.

  • Catalans have 'let people down' with Folau signing – Super League boss Elstone Catalans have 'let people down' with Folau signing – Super League boss Elstone

    Super League executive chairman Robert Elstone has expressed his disappointment with Catalans Dragons for signing controversial Australian Israel Folau and says it "lets down many people connected to our sport".

    Folau was sacked by Rugby Australia (RA) in May 2019 for what the body said was a "high-level breach" of its code of conduct after he posted hell awaits "drunks, homosexuals, adulterers, liars, fornicators, thieves, atheists and idolaters" on Instagram. He had been warned over previous online posts in 2018.

    The 30-year-old, who has crossed codes to sign a one-year deal with the French club, appealed the verdict and subsequently came to a financial agreement with RA in December.

    That settlement came a month after further remarks in which Folau claimed the bushfires that have ravaged Australia were a message from God over same-sex marriage and abortion laws.

    Despite Catalans chairman Bernard Guasch insisting the club "do not share or condone those views", they opted to bring him back to rugby league where he previously starred with Melbourne Storm and Brisbane Broncos. Catalans say "any transgression" from Folau will trigger the immediate termination of his deal.

    The move was ratified by the Rugby Football League (RFL), which said its current regulatory framework could "not prevent his participation in the sport".

    Its statement read: "The RFL confirms that the registration of Israel Folau with Catalans Dragons will not be prevented.

    "This is a difficult decision, as the RFL places a high value on the sport's reputation in prioritising inclusion and diversity – and deplores the player's previous comments.

    "However the moral responsibility for deciding whether to sign a player sits with individual clubs.

    "The player has not been charged or found guilty of any criminal offence.

    "However distasteful his previous comments, we don't believe that, under our current regulatory framework, these can prevent his participation in the sport.

    "We have sought and received reassurances from both the player and the club regarding future behaviour.

    "The RFL has taken and will continue to take action where any player breaches expected standards of behaviour while registered with a club, and comments that conflict with our commitment to Inclusion and Diversity across the game will not be tolerated."

    Super League boss Elstone said: "Super League deplores the homophobic comments Israel Folau has made in the past, which squarely contradict our sport's core values. 

    "I have sought the opinion of informed voices connected to our game, and the majority share my disappointment that one of our clubs has chosen to sign him.  

    "There is a strong feeling that the decision to sign him lets down many people connected to our sport.

    "I made Catalans Dragons aware of those views.

    "However, Super League does not have the authority to veto the registration of players and is satisfied by the due diligence carried out by The Rugby Football League."

    He added: "Israel Folau is a free agent, who has the right to work, and he has not been charged or found guilty of any criminal offence.

    "Catalans Dragons has assured Super League that strict guidelines are in place to prevent the player from repeating his comments.

    "They have also assured us that his contract will be terminated immediately should he do so."

  • Inter sign Eriksen from Tottenham Inter sign Eriksen from Tottenham

    Christian Eriksen has joined Inter in a move from Tottenham that is reportedly worth €20million.

    Eriksen, 27, arrived in Milan on Monday to pass his medical and sign a contract that will run to June 30, 2024, with the Serie A club announcing the completed transfer on Tuesday.

    The Denmark international spent six and a half years with Spurs but, with his contract set to expire at the end of this season, he had long been expected to leave.

    Despite links with Manchester United and Real Madrid, among others, Inter have managed to bring the playmaker to San Siro.

    In a statement in which they also announced the signing of Giovani Lo Celso on a permanent deal, Spurs said: "The club can also confirm the departure of Christian Eriksen after agreement was reached with FC Internazionale Milano for the Denmark international's transfer.

    "He made 305 appearances for us following his move from Ajax in August, 2013, and scored 69 times.

    "We wish Christian well for the future."

    With his future in question, Eriksen had spent the first part of the season in and out of the Spurs team – his 20 Premier League appearances split evenly between starts and substitute outings.

    His form unsurprisingly suffered as dip as a result as he mustered just two goals and two assists from those 20 games.

    Fans had become increasingly critical of Eriksen's performances in recent times, with Spurs head coach Jose Mourinho acknowledging last week that the Dane had not been at his best despite insisting his application in training remained positive.

    His form has not put off Inter, who will hope the signing helps to give them added impetus in the Serie A title race having fallen behind pacesetters Juventus since the turn of the year.

    Antonio Conte's men are three points adrift of Juve following three successive league draws, the latest a 1-1 result at home to Cagliari on Sunday.

    Eriksen is Inter's third signing of the month, with all three coming from Premier League sides following the arrivals of Ashley Young and Victor Moses from Manchester United and Chelsea, respectively.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.