Ballon d'Or: Juventus defender De Ligt wins Kopa Trophy

By Sports Desk December 02, 2019

Juventus defender Matthijs de Ligt has been named as the winner of the 2019 Kopa Trophy at this year's Ballon d'Or ceremony.

Awarded to the best player in the world under the age of 21, De Ligt inherits the award from France and Paris Saint-Germain superstar Kylian Mbappe.

De Ligt has enjoyed a sensational 2019, guiding Ajax to the Eredivise title and the semi-final of the Champions League, where they ultimately suffered a last-gasp defeat to Tottenham.

His stunning form for the Dutch side led to a reported €75million move to Juventus in July, with the Serie A champions seeing off competition from a number of European rivals for his signature.

The 20-year-old has made 15 appearances across all competitions for Maurizio Sarri's side this season, scoring one goal.

Related items

  • Klopp: Liverpool have 'no intention' of selling Shaqiri this month Klopp: Liverpool have 'no intention' of selling Shaqiri this month

    Jurgen Klopp said Liverpool have "no intention" of letting Xherdan Shaqiri leave the club this month.

    Switzerland international Shaqiri has been the subject of reported interest from Serie A side Roma and LaLiga outfit Sevilla, with the Reds thought to have already dismissed approaches for the 28-year-old.

    The forward has made only six Premier League appearances this term, starting just twice, having played in 24 top-flight games in his first season at Anfield.

    Yet as the Reds bid to seal a first league title in three decades and defend their Champions League crown, Klopp stressed the club do not want to offload any player this month.

    "The majority of December and January we had the bench full of kids, wonderful kids, but kids, so how could we think about giving people to anyone?" Klopp said at a news conference to preview Liverpool's clash with Wolves on Thursday.

    "It's not about Shaq, it's about everyone. We have to keep them for sorting our situation, not the situation for different clubs.

    "If somebody would come around the corner and ask properly...but that didn't happen.

    "[If] they are desperate then we think but there's absolutely no intention from our side to do anything."

    Klopp's unbeaten side made it 21 wins from 22 in the Premier League on Sunday with a 2-0 triumph over Manchester United, the only side to have taken points off them in the division this term.

    Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain was the first player Klopp brought off in that game just after the hour mark and the midfielder reacted angrily when he came to the bench having been replaced by Adam Lallana.

    The 26-year-old also appeared peeved when he came off against Tottenham in Liverpool's previous game, with the England international yet to complete 90 minutes since returning from an ankle problem earlier this month.

    However, Klopp said there is no issue with the reaction of his player, who he has spoken to regarding his apparent anger at being replaced.

    "He's not [frustrated], he just looks like this," Klopp added.

    "I asked him. It's all fine. It's normal a player wants to play 90 minutes. We have to learn from our own past. Oxlade is an unbelievably important player. Players get tired, they show up again like this.

    "I try to read the players during the game and try to understand in which moment they are energy-level wise and make a decision. Maybe with Oxlade I was a bit too early but he got a knock on top of that. He was limping a little.

    "If a midfielder is limping you start looking in more detail. In one or two defensive situations if a midfielder is not in the way he should be it has an impact. We have to make a decision.

    "Maybe after the game it didn't feel that bad any more with the knock. That's good. It's all okay, we have good options to make substitutions."

  • Man City defender Walker: Premier League title race not over yet Man City defender Walker: Premier League title race not over yet

    Liverpool may be 13 points clear of reigning Premier League champions Manchester City with two games in hand, but Kyle Walker is not giving up hope of a third successive title.

    City secured a 1-0 win over Walker's former club Sheffield United on Tuesday night, cutting the gap on leaders Liverpool, who will extend their advantage to a whopping 19 points with wins at Wolves and West Ham over the next week.

    Klopp's unbeaten side have only dropped two points across their 22 games this season and it would require an unprecedented and monumental collapse for them not to be crowned top-flight champions for the first time in three decades.

    However, Walker insists he will only accept that fact when it has been realised, and he hopes City can retain the other trophies they won in last season's domestic treble too.

    "I'm not going to say it [the title race] is over," he said.

    "I'm a professional, this is the job I love to do and I'll keep fighting until mathematically it's over.

    "It's going to be a tough job, we know that.

    "We are alive in all cups, so hopefully we can get some silverware at the end of the season.

    "Last year we won the EFL Cup and the FA Cup, so hopefully we can retain the titles as well."

    Walker made his 18th Premier League start of the season at Bramall Lane, where substitute Sergio Aguero's second-half strike downed the Blades.

    Despite the loss, Chris Wilder's side have had a fantastic campaign so far following promotion from the Championship last season and they sit seventh in the table, above Tottenham and Arsenal.

    Sheffield-born Walker, who came through the Blades' academy before making his senior debut with the club, is delighted to see his old team faring so well.

    "I have played against them a few times with different clubs, but it's good to have finally met them in the Premier League," Walker added.

    "I wanted to get to the Premier League with my hometown club but it didn't happen.

    "I think Chris Wilder has done a fantastic job and they have been outstanding this season."

  • Rumour Has It: Manchester United launch £30m Bellingham bid Rumour Has It: Manchester United launch £30m Bellingham bid

    Manchester United have lined up another exciting midfield transfer target amid their ongoing pursuit of Bruno Fernandes.

    As the wrangling over figures with Sporting CP continues, the Red Devils have reportedly submitted a sizeable offer to Birmingham City for teenage talent Jude Bellingham.

    But making the first move might only spark a European bidding war.

     

    TOP STORY – UNITED SUBMIT BELLINGHAM BID

    Birmingham youngster Bellingham's clear potential has convinced United to launch an offer worth more than £30million, reports the Sun and Sky Sports.

    The 16-year-old midfielder has burst onto the scene this season and the Old Trafford outfit are understood to be keen to test him in the Premier League.

    However, they could face stiff competition from Barcelona, Bayern Munich, Borussia Dortmund, Liverpool and other heavyweight clubs across the continent.

    The Mirror, meanwhile, claims United have made a "breakthrough" in negotiations for Portugal international Fernandes, having reached a "compromise" transfer fee in the region of £55m.

     

    ROUND-UP

    - David Beckham's Inter Miami have contacted Manchester City striker Sergio Aguero to assess his interest in a switch to MLS, adds the Sun.

    - Tottenham have enquired about Real Madrid winger and former Spurs star Gareth Bale, according to Spanish television programme El Chiringuito.

    - Barcelona, still searching for a new striker, have ruled out RB Leipzig's Timo Werner and Lille's Victor Osimhen, suggests Mundo Deportivo, with Valencia's Rodrigo Moreno a more likely target.

    - Serie A side Roma are set to discuss personal terms with Matteo Politano after agreeing a €25million fee with Inter, according to Sky Sport Italia.

    - Inter, meanwhile, are said to be in discussions with United youngster Tahith Chong, who is also on Chinese outfit Jiangsu Suning's radar as his contract runs close to expiring, says Sky Sport Italia.

    - Brescia midfielder Sandro Tonali is interesting Premier League champions City and Ligue 1 leaders Paris Saint-Germain, reports SportMediaset.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.