Ballon d'Or 2019: Barcelona forward Griezmann falls 15 places from 2018

By Sports Desk December 02, 2019

Barcelona forward Antoine Griezmann has been voted 18th in the final list for the 2019 Ballon d'Or, a fall of 15 places from last year.

Griezmann finished behind only Luka Modric and Cristiano Ronaldo 12 months ago after winning the World Cup with France and impressing for Atletico Madrid at club level.

However, an underwhelming end to his Atletico career and a tough start to life at Barcelona - who he joined in a €120million deal in July - has seen him drop down the list.

It marks the second time the 28-year-old has slipped from third to 18th, having done likewise in 2017.

Griezmann's Barcelona team-mate Marc-Andre ter Stegen finished 24th and Frenkie de Jong, who spent the first half of the year with Champions League semi-finalists Ajax, was voted 11th in the standings.

Three Liverpool players missed out on the top 10, with Georginio Wijnaldum, Trent Alexander-Arnold and Roberto Firmino in 26th, 19th and 17th, respectively.

Fellow Premier League side Manchester City were also heavily represented in the 30-11 rankings, as were Dutch champions Ajax following their run to the final four of last season's Champions League.

Lionel Messi and Virgil van Dijk are the frontrunners to win the most prestigious individual accolade in world football during Monday's ceremony.

Ballon d'Or 30-11 list in full:

=28. Marquinhos (Paris Saint-Germain)

=28. Donny van de Beek (Ajax)

=28. Joao Felix (Atletico Madrid)

=26. Georginio Wijnaldum (Liverpool)

=26. Karim Benzema (Real Madrid)

=24. Kalidou Koulibaly (Napoli)

=24. Marc-Andre ter Stegen (Barcelona)

23. Hugo Lloris (Tottenham)

22. Son Heung-min (Tottenham)

=20. Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang (Arsenal)

=20. Dusan Tadic (Ajax)

19. Trent Alexander-Arnold (Liverpool)

18. Antoine Griezmann (Barcelona)

17. Roberto Firmino (Liverpool)

16. Sergio Aguero (Manchester City)

15. Matthijs de Ligt (Ajax)

14. Kevin De Bruyne (Manchester City)

13. Eden Hazard (Real Madrid)

12. Raheem Sterling (Manchester City)

11. Frenkie de Jong (Barcelona)

Related items

  • Klopp: I feel for injured Kane - now let's think about demands on players Klopp: I feel for injured Kane - now let's think about demands on players

    Jurgen Klopp believes Harry Kane's injury could alert England's authorities to the dangers of too much football if the striker is ruled out of Gareth Southgate's Euro 2020 plans.

    The Tottenham striker and England captain suffered a hamstring injury in his club's New Year's Day defeat at Southampton and has undergone surgery.

    Tottenham have indicated Kane should be able to resume training in April, but it could be a slow road back to full match fitness.

    Liverpool manager Klopp made mention of Kane in a lengthy explanation about his concerns that too many demands are placed on players in the modern game.

    Klopp is known to often point to the heavy burden on players, caused by domestic league and cup games, European matches and international commitments.

    Given his important role with club and country, Kane is sure to be missed by both, and Klopp suggested the Spurs star's problem may have been caused by his own busy schedule.

    "I feel massively for Harry Kane," Klopp said. "Now I've heard maybe he's not in the Euros, for the first time some English people in the FA will start thinking, 'Too many games maybe'.

    "Always something has to happen so that we start really thinking about it."

  • Klopp seething as Africa Cup of Nations rescheduling looks set to hurt Liverpool Klopp seething as Africa Cup of Nations rescheduling looks set to hurt Liverpool

    Jurgen Klopp said it was "a catastrophe" for Liverpool to learn next year's Africa Cup of Nations has been moved to start in January.

    The tournament in Cameroon had been due to be played in June and July, during the off-season for many European leagues, and Liverpool had been planning accordingly.

    However, concerns over weather conditions at that time of year meant it was decided to move it on the calendar, which also means there will be no clash with an expanded Club World Cup in China.

    While the Africa Cup of Nations will go ahead in cooler temperatures, there was no disguising Klopp's heated response to the decision.

    "[It's] for us a catastrophe in that moment losing three players," Klopp said.

    "We have absolutely no power. If we say we don't let him go, the player is suspended. How is that possible that the company who pays the player cannot decide if the player has to stay or not?"

    He could lose the likes of Mohamed Salah, Sadio Mane and Naby Keita for weeks on end, putting a major dent in plans for what could be a season where Liverpool, this term's runaway leaders, are defending the Premier League title.

    Klopp admitted his transfer plans could also be affected by the Confederation of African Football's (CAF) decision, saying it was a move that did African players no favours.

    The tournament will run from January 9 to February 6, CAF said.

    "Do we really want to open this book now?" Klopp asked, when the subject was raised in a news conference on Friday.

    "I couldn't respect the African Cup of Nations more than I do. I like the competition and I've watched it a lot in the past. It's an obvious problem that you play a tournament in the middle of the season.

    "I get it that it makes more sense for Africa to play it maybe in our winter, their winter as well, so when the weather is better for them.

    "A couple of things which are not OK – one thing is, FIFA plans a tournament [the Club World Cup] in the summer of 2021, a week later or so than the actual Africa Cup of Nations will have started [under the previous plans], I think, or maybe two weeks later, another tournament for a lot of world-class players.

    "I mentioned that in the past. I'm not sure if that was part of the decision, when they thought it makes no sense to play it after that tournament so let's play it again in the winter, I don't know.

    "Or was the weather the real [reason]? It means another tournament. It's too many tournaments, still.

    "The other thing is, it doesn't help African players. We will not sell Sadio, Mo or Naby now because they have a tournament in January or February, but if we have to make a decision about bringing in a player, it's a massive one.

    "These decisions are made without asking players, without asking managers, without asking anybody, it's just a decision. FIFA doesn't look like being involved. They're happy having their 24-team [Club] World Cup, offering a lot of money for all the clubs involved. We forget these tournaments are played by players - they don't have a break."

  • Chelsea adopt anti-Semitism definition of IHRA, which hopes other clubs follow suit Chelsea adopt anti-Semitism definition of IHRA, which hopes other clubs follow suit

    Chelsea have adopted the International Holocaust Remembrance Alliance's (IHRA) definition of anti-Semitism and the organisation's executive secretary hopes other football clubs follow suit.

    The decision comes as part of Chelsea's "Say No to anti-Semitism" campaign, which was launched in January 2018, and follows the official presentation of a commemorative mural of Jewish footballers and British prisoners of war on a wall outside Stamford Bridge's West Stand on Wednesday.

    The IHRA definition is: "Anti-Semitism is a certain perception of Jews, which may be expressed as hatred toward Jews. Rhetorical and physical manifestations of antisemitism are directed toward Jewish or non-Jewish individuals and/or their property, toward Jewish community institutions and religious facilities."

    Chelsea accused a section of their fans of anti-Semitic chanting during a Europa League game at Vidi in December 2018, although the club received no punishment from UEFA.

    IHRA executive secretary Kathrin Meyer praised the club's work on discrimination against Jews and hopes they prove to be trailblazers in football.

    "This definition is a tool to raise awareness and be informed to fight anti-Semitism," said Meyer at a news conference at Chelsea's Cobham training ground.

    "It couldn't be more urgent. Anti-Semitism kills people, not just in football, and attacks our societies. The step Chelsea are taking with this and the 'Say No to anti-Semitism' campaign is huge.

    "I hope other clubs follow, it needs to be a bottom-up effort. We wish Chelsea all the best of luck with their endeavours."

    Chelsea chairman Bruce Buck said: "All our players have been involved in our efforts. This week we unveiled a mural on the West Stand at Stamford Bridge.

    "Adopting this definition is a big moment for this club. It brings clarity to the whole subject of what is anti-Semitic. Everyone will be fully aware of the definition. It's been adopted by around 35 countries and British Police.

    "We know it's a long battle … this is a problem that has existed for a long time, the Holocaust is something we have to make sure never happens again. We all have to work at this.

    "In 2017 there were a number of anti-Semitic incidents around the world. It came around, and we wanted to do something about it."

    Chelsea head coach Frank Lampard added: "I think it's an important statement, we hope it makes an impact, that's the whole point.

    "In simple terms as manager of the football club, I am proud that the club takes such a strong stance against any form of discrimination and we'll be active in that going forward, which I think today shows.

    "Words are one thing but actions are another, and we'll always be very strong on that and will continue to be so."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.