Inter's Barella to undergo knee surgery

By Sports Desk November 24, 2019

Inter midfielder Nicolo Barella will undergo surgery to remove a fragment of cartilage in his knee, the Serie A club have confirmed.

Barella was withdrawn on the stroke of half-time in Saturday's 3-0 win over Torino and visibly indicated his pain to medical staff.

In a statement on their official website, Inter revealed the 22-year-old has damaged a fragment of cartilage in his knee, which will require surgery to be removed. No timescale has been put on how long he will be out of action for. 

Speaking after the game, Inter boss Antonio Conte said: "I really hope Barella doesn't have anything particularly serious.

"Barella has grown exponentially over the last four months. He is a very important player for us and we can only hope the test results are not too bad. He's a warrior and I hope he's back on the pitch soon."

Barella has made 17 appearances across all competitions so far this season, scoring twice.

Related items

  • De Sciglio, Can out of Juventus squad amid PSG, Dortmund links De Sciglio, Can out of Juventus squad amid PSG, Dortmund links

    Mattia De Sciglio, Emre Can and Marko Pjaca have been left out of the Juventus squad to face Napoli amid links to moves away from Turin.

    Full-back De Sciglio is dealing with a fitness issue but is also a reported target for Paris Saint-Germain in a potential swap deal for Layvin Kurzawa, who is also said to be interesting Arsenal.

    Germany international Can is reportedly an option for Borussia Dortmund in his homeland, meanwhile, having joined Juve on a free transfer from Liverpool 18 months ago.

    And Pjaca is absent following talk of an imminent switch to Cagliari.

    The Bianconeri head to Naples four points clear of second-placed Inter in Serie A, while their Sunday opponents - title challengers in previous campaigns - are struggling in the bottom half.

  • Inspired Josip Ilicic helps Atalanta to astonishing 7-0 win at Torino Inspired Josip Ilicic helps Atalanta to astonishing 7-0 win at Torino

    A hat-trick from Josip Ilicic that included a sensational free-kick inspired Atalanta to an astonishing 7-0 away win over Torino, their biggest ever Serie A triumph.

    Atalanta, who will play Valencia in the Champions League last 16, boosted their hopes of achieving another top-four finish with a stunning victory on Saturday.

    Ilicic, who netted a remarkable free-kick from near the halfway line, scored his fourth Serie A hat-trick since the start of 2018, with only Lionel Messi (7) and Sergio Aguero (6) boasting better records over that span in the top five European leagues.

    Atalanta's first top-flight win by a seven-goal margin - and Torino's largest such home defeat - saw Robin Gosens follow up Ilicic's close-range opener with a fine volley.

    Duvan Zapata scored a penalty on the stroke of half-time before Ilicic caught out home goalkeeper Salvatore Sirigu with an audacious set-piece from next to the centre circle after 53 minutes.

    He completed his hat-trick a minute later and Il Toro's humiliation was sealed when substitute Luis Muriel scored a quickfire late double, one of his efforts coming from the penalty spot.

    Armando Izzo was sent off for a second bookable offence when Torino were five goals down, and they ended up with nine men after Sasa Lukic got a straight red for a foul on Alejandro Gomez, by which point the visitors had already scored seven.

    Gian Piero Gasperini's men are fifth in the table, level on points with Roma above them, with Torino down in 10th position.

    Atalanta were third in Serie A last season and finished second to Manchester City in Champions League Group C despite losing their first three matches in the competition.

  • Netherlands great Rob Rensenbrink dies aged 72 Netherlands great Rob Rensenbrink dies aged 72

    Netherlands great Rob Rensenbrink has died aged 72, the KNVB have confirmed.

    Rensenbrink starred for Anderlecht for nine years at club level while playing a key role for the outstanding Oranje national side of the 1970s, earning 46 caps.

    The winger started in the 1974 and 1978 World Cup finals - both defeats - and no Dutch player has been involved in more goals (six goals, four assists) in the competition's history.

    A former team-mate of Johan Cruyff with the Oranje, Rensenbrink finished second in the Ballon d'Or voting behind Franz Beckenbauer in 1976 and third two years later as Kevin Keegan took the top prize.

    He was also named in Pele's FIFA 100 in 2004, a list of the 125 greatest living footballers.

    Anderlecht posted on Twitter on Saturday: "Thank you, Robbie. In our purple hearts forever."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.