EPL

Guardiola dismisses speculation of Bayern Munich return

By Sports Desk November 22, 2019

Pep Guardiola has no immediate plans to swap Manchester City for a return to his former club Bayern Munich.

Bayern are on the search for a new coach after sacking Niko Kovac earlier in November.

Hans-Dieter Flick is currently interim coach, while Mauricio Pochettino - who was sacked by Tottenham on Tuesday - has been linked with a switch to the Allianz Arena.

The Bundesliga champions are also rumoured to be interested in moving for City boss Guardiola, who spent three seasons at Bayern between 2013 and 2016 before taking over at City.

However, Guardiola has insisted Bayern are aware he is a person who respects his contracts, adding he wishes to stay at City as long as the club want him to remain. 

"When these things appear, is it the media or the club? We don't know. It could be one guy [starting a rumour] and then people take it," Guardiola told Sky Sports News.

"I like the people from Bayern a lot. I was incredibly happy there, but they know I'm a guy that respects what I sign.

"In football, when you are not getting results you can be sacked but in this case if the club [Manchester City] wants me, I want to stay here.

"It doesn't matter if Bayern want me or not in the future. My love for the city, the club and the people I met there is incredible.

"It is the same in Barcelona because it is my hometown, but the same happened here. I have more things to do."

Guardiola acknowledged he will not remain at City forever, but insists it is the memories created at clubs that form the best legacies.

"That is the real legacy that you like, more than lifting titles," Guardiola said. "You remember the places for the people you live with, not for the museums or cathedrals.

"I will not be here [at Manchester City] forever. It's important when you leave that you can come back and be happy with the people."

Under Guardiola, City have won successive Premier League titles, two EFL Cups and an FA Cup, as well as two Community Shields.

Related items

  • Man Utd sensation Greenwood ready for England call-up, says Solskjaer Man Utd sensation Greenwood ready for England call-up, says Solskjaer

    Manchester United teenage sensation Mason Greenwood is ready for an England call-up amid his fine form at Old Trafford, insisted manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer.

    Greenwood, 18, scored twice as red-hot United defeated relegation-threatened Bournemouth 5-2 in the Premier League on Saturday.

    The highly rated forward – who has drawn comparisons to former United star Robin van Persie – has netted 15 goals across all competitions this season, including eight in the Premier League.

    Solskjaer backed Greenwood to make the step up to Gareth Southgate's England squad.

    "When you play for Man United, I think that's a test that's good enough and difficult enough," said Solskjaer, whose United are in the midst of a 16-game unbeaten streak.

    "If you can handle playing for Man United then you can handle playing for any team and Mason's got the qualities that not many others have.

    "So he could play for England full team or Under-21s, I don't really mind. I know he's doing well for us and it's great to have him here.

    "Mason's a naturally good finisher, so he'll always score goals. He's a humble boy, he wants to learn, he listens and he works hard.

    "Mason is one of the best if not the best finisher I have worked with and seen. He is so calm."

    United, who have not lost since January, are fifth in the Premier League and two points behind Chelsea in the race for Champions League qualification with five games remaining.

    The Red Devils are next in action away to lowly Aston Villa on Thursday.

  • Guardiola: Man City defeat not a question of needing new players Guardiola: Man City defeat not a question of needing new players

    Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola does not believe Sunday's surprise Premier League loss to Southampton highlights the need for the club to sign new players.

    Guardiola's City suffered their third consecutive away defeat in the Premier League after going down 1-0 to Southampton at St Mary's on Sunday.

    After routing newly crowned champions Liverpool 4-0 last time out, City – who rested Kevin De Bruyne and others – succumbed to Che Adams' first Premier League goal as they fell 23 points adrift in second position.

    Napoli star Kalidou Koulibaly and Bayern Munich's David Alaba have been among the players linked with moves to City at the end of the season.

    But when asked if City's defeat was a question of needing new players, Guardiola told reporters: "No, I don't think so.

    "I think we play good, honestly. We play with the character and desire to drive until the end. We played against Southampton who had 10 players in the penalty area. We did it really well.

    "We will review the game, and with the chances that we had, we can do more. It's difficult to create more chances than we created and the way we did it.

    "I'm so proud, so I liked the way we played but it's not enough. There's no complaint about the players. We played really well, I like it but it's not enough to win the games."

    Guardiola, meanwhile, does not feel City goalkeeper Ederson is to blame for the loss to Southampton.

    Adams scored the only goal of the game in the 16th minute, catching the Brazilian keeper off his line after Oleksandr Zinchenko had been dispossessed of the ball.

    "We use our keeper to build up our play. We use our keeper to play better," Guardiola said. "It gives us a lot. The mistake is part of the game but we didn't lose for that reason.

    "It happens many times this season this situation. The amount of chances we have but it's football. The amount of chances we have but not able to score goals."

  • Retired Jamaica international McAnuff determined to be more than passenger at Leyton Orient Retired Jamaica international McAnuff determined to be more than passenger at Leyton Orient

    Retired Jamaica international Jobi McAnuff insists he is not just along for the ride after signing a new one-year contract with England League Two club Leyton Orient.

    McANuff the club captain, will be 39 years old later this year and transitioned to a player/coach role last season.  He will be in a similar capacity this year but despite being the senior statesman of sorts is determined to be more than just a passenger on the pitch.

    “I don’t just want to be a bit part or be here for the ride, I want to contribute, that’s a big, big thing for me,” McAnuff said in an interview with the club’s official website.

    “I’m feeling good,” he added.

     “Last year, as everyone knows, was frustrating. I worked really hard to get back to playing, and I’ve got a lot of work again to get to the level I want to get to.”

    The injury kept McAnuff out of action for almost the entire season, not playing his first match until March.  Orient coach Ross Embleton is confident the Jamaica midfielder will be a major contributor both on and off the pitch – and is delighted to see him stay.

    “He’s been at the club since I came back, and we all know what an inspiration he is on the pitch,” Embleton said.

    McAnuff has made 141 appearances for the O’s in two spells.

     

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.