Bale named in Real Madrid squad after Wales banner controversy

By Sports Desk November 22, 2019

Gareth Bale has been included in Real Madrid's squad for their LaLiga encounter with Real Sociedad despite the controversy caused by his celebrations after Wales' successful Euro 2020 qualification.

Wales booked their place at next year's finals with a 2-0 win over Hungary in Cardiff on Tuesday.

Bale, who has not played for Madrid since October 5, featured from the start for Ryan Giggs' side and was pictured after the match singing and dancing behind a banner that read: 'WALES. GOLF. MADRID…IN THAT ORDER'.

The slogan originates from a chant by Wales supporters that pokes fun at perceptions among the Spanish media, who have accused Bale of bumping Madrid down his list of priorities and spending too much time on the golf course.

Those celebrations drew further criticism from sections of the Madrid press and Los Blancos' fanbase, but Zidane – whose relationship with Bale has reportedly been a troubled one – claimed on Friday that the issue had been overblown.

Zidane has now included Bale in his squad for Saturday's clash with Sociedad, who would move above Madrid with a win at the Santiago Bernabeu.

Bale's inclusion comes at the expense of Vinicius Junior, with the teenage winger missing out on the 19-man selection.

Vinicius has made eight appearances in LaLiga this term, though only four of those have been starts.

Related items

  • Ansu Fati and I proving La Masia products can still make it at Barca – Carles Perez Ansu Fati and I proving La Masia products can still make it at Barca – Carles Perez

    Carles Perez revelled in the fact he and fellow Barcelona academy product Ansu Fati made the difference in Tuesday's 2-1 win at Inter, proving La Masia has not lost relevance.

    Barca endured a real tussle with Inter at San Siro, only securing a late win thanks to Fati's 86th-minute strike.

    That goal made the 17-year-old the youngest scorer in Champions League history and sealed Inter's fate, as the Serie A side drop down to the Europa League after finishing third in the group.

    Perez had opened the scoring with a composed finish, and his thoughts quickly turned to Barca's La Masia after the match, with the famed academy receiving criticism in recent years for a perceived lack of homegrown players reaching the first team.

    "It is something incredible that we are both living," Perez told Movistar. "Both Ansu and I are an example for La Masia if you think you can get there [to the first team].

    "Barca trust the people of academy and that is the most important thing."

    Coach Ernesto Valverde also spoke of the two goal-scorers and was particularly thrilled by Fati's record.

    "Carles has the nose for more goals and strikes the ball really nicely," he said. "Ansu is a born scorer and, although he's had some niggling pain, we wanted him to have some minutes.

    "That it's a Barca lad who's the youngest ever scorer in this competition delights us."

    Barca had already secured top spot in the group and will find out their next opponents in the Champions League during Monday's draw.

    The Catalans face Real Sociedad at the weekend before then going head-to-head with bitter rivals Real Madrid in El Clasico on December 18.

  • Napoli sack Ancelotti despite progressing in Champions League Napoli sack Ancelotti despite progressing in Champions League

    Carlo Ancelotti has been sacked by Napoli despite steering the Serie A club into the last 16 of the Champions League on Tuesday night.

  • BREAKING NEWS: Napoli sack Ancelotti despite progressing in Champions League BREAKING NEWS: Napoli sack Ancelotti despite progressing in Champions League

    Carlo Ancelotti has been sacked by Napoli despite steering the Serie A club into the last 16 of the Champions League on Tuesday night.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.