EPL

Bielsa backs Pochettino to land top job after 'brilliant' Tottenham work

By Sports Desk November 21, 2019

Mauricio Pochettino will get the chance to take charge of one of the best teams in the world due to his efforts at Tottenham, Marcelo Bielsa says.

Spurs sacked Pochettino this week after just five wins in 17 matches in all competitions this season and replaced him with former Chelsea, Real Madrid and Manchester United manager Jose Mourinho.

The 47-year-old's departure came less than six months after he led Spurs to their first Champions League final, where they were beaten 2-0 by Liverpool.

Bielsa, who coached Pochettino as a young player at Newell's Old Boys and has been credited with influencing his post-playing career, says reaching that final showed just how well the Spurs side had been constructed even in a season in which no players were signed.

Bielsa now expects Pochettino to be given a chance by one of the world's top clubs.

"I'm going to talk, not about the relationship I have with Pochettino, but for what I have observed in English football," the Leeds United boss said on Thursday.

"The work Pochettino has done is brilliant. In the last year, he put Tottenham in a high level in the world. For any coach, it's a very important achievement. For Pochettino, I think it's even more important because the team that played in the Champions League last year was a team he built very carefully.

"The performance of this team was more linked by collective play rather than top players being bought for them. They didn't buy big players to achieve this. This reality makes Pochettino's work even more important.

"People who work professionally like that earn absolutely deserved credit. Maybe he couldn't enjoy this credit at Tottenham. But he will take this credit and big teams in the world will look to capitalise on it.

"For sure, he is a manager who will lead one of the best teams in the world. He made Tottenham one of the most important teams in the world.

"I have a lot of affection and respect for Mauricio. When something that is not good happens to him, I can't ignore it. If we look at the close effect of the situation, we can be sad. I feel sad.

"But in 15 days, he'll be at the top again, because when you see things from a distance, without looking at recent facts, then you can realise what you've really achieved.

"Now, he leaves a team that is attractive to Mourinho – that has a lot of value. The next team who take him will express again the respect Pochettino has created."

Related items

  • Kostic could leave Eintracht amid Inter and Premier League links – Bobic Kostic could leave Eintracht amid Inter and Premier League links – Bobic

    Eintracht Frankfurt sports director Fredi Bobic admitted star winger Filip Kostic could leave the Bundesliga side.

    Kostic has previously been linked to Antonio Conte's Inter, while there is reported interest in the Serbia international from the Premier League.

    The 27-year-old enjoyed another fine campaign, scoring four goals and tallying 11 assists, having contributed 10 goals and 13 assists across all competitions last season.

    Bobic was asked about the future of Kostic and he said: "Filip is happy here. He feels very comfortable with us, but it may also be that we are ready to release him.

    "That depends not only on us, but also on the player. But I can imagine that he will play here next season: fans happy, players happy, me happy."

    Bobic, who sanctioned the big-money departures of Luka Jovic (Real Madrid) and Sebastien Haller (West Ham) at the start of the season as Eintracht made significant profits, is anticipating a difficult transfer period due to the COVID-19 crisis.

    "The goal was clearly to break the €300million mark in the 2019-20 season," he said. "But suddenly there was a stop sign at €280m."

    "There are an incredible number of players on offer right now, including interesting ones. But we have to look at the books to see what is possible. Because we do not know how long the situation will last.

    "We have to be patient, it will be tough and long. It won't be an easy time. We already have a few players we would like to sign but if the money is not there, you cannot buy."

    Bobic – who is also planning to offer head coach Adi Hutter a new contract – was also asked about Ante Rebic and loanee Andre Silva.

    Rebic joined Milan on a two-year loan deal at the start of the season as Silva moved to Eintracht on the same terms.

    Milan are reportedly keen on signing Rebic permanently, while Silva scored 16 goals for Eintracht.

    "We have agreed with the owner of Milan that we will get together soon and talk about the topic," Bobic said. "I don't think Ante wants to get back to our salary level.

    "Andre knows that we are happy with him. He is also happy to be here in Frankfurt and can imagine staying longer."

  • Jimenez 'very happy' at Wolves amid Man Utd links Jimenez 'very happy' at Wolves amid Man Utd links

    Raul Jimenez insisted he was "very happy" at Wolves amid links to Manchester United.

    Jimenez, 29, is enjoying another prolific season, scoring 24 goals in 47 games for Wolves to lead to apparent interest from United.

    But the Mexico international said he was happy at the Molineux, where he arrived from Benfica in 2018, initially on loan.

    "It feels very good. Two years here have been unbelievable, I think we made that connection since the beginning, since my transfer here," Jimenez said, via the club's website.

    "I'm very happy to be here."

    Jimenez has helped Wolves sit sixth in the Premier League, with his team-mate Adama Traore also attracting interest from elsewhere.

    The forward praised Traore, who has scored four goals and provided nine assists in the league this season.

    "Every striker wants a team-mate with his conditions. He can cross from anywhere, you know he's going to be at the final line and he's going to cross, so you have to be there at the right time to score," Jimenez said.

    "We train on it in the week. We talk to each other before the games, or in the training sessions, so we know where we’re going to be, his crossing and where I have to move.

    "It's not a coincidence, it's something we train and work for."

    Wolves are next in action on Saturday when they host Arsenal.

  • I don't know if it's impossible – Newell's hopeful over Messi return I don't know if it's impossible – Newell's hopeful over Messi return

    Newell's Old Boys vice-president Cristian D'Amico is still hopeful Barcelona star Lionel Messi may one day return to the club.

    Messi, 33, left Newell's for Barcelona in 2001 and has developed into one of the best players of all-time, winning a record six Ballons d'Or.

    The Argentina captain has spoken about potentially returning to Newell's previously and D'Amico is hopeful, with the club having seen Diego Maradona arrive in 1993 after he starred in Europe.

    "I don't know if it's impossible," he told TNT Sports.

    "It's a decision exclusively made by him and his family. We have to have the best possible context to help make a decision.

    "When Maradona came to Newell's, nobody thought that he would come either. I hope to do something similar with Leo."

    Messi is contracted at Camp Nou until next year, although will reportedly extend that deal until 2023.

    D'Amico is staying calm about the star's potential return to Newell's, saying: "Obviously, that's not to be selling smoke.

    "It's a difficult topic. What Newell's fan would not dream to see the best player in the world with the jersey of their team on? Time might allow such things, you have to be calm."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.