Moreno has 'clear conscience' after controversial Spain exit

By Sports Desk November 20, 2019

Robert Moreno insists he has "a clear conscience" after his stint as Spain head coach ended with Luis Enrique's return to the role, although he acknowledged "a bittersweet feeling".

Then assistant Moreno stepped into the breach earlier this year when Luis Enrique resigned as his young daughter Xana battled bone cancer. She died in August.

Former Barcelona coach Luis Enrique returned this week, however, replacing Moreno, who had worked alongside him in a number of previous positions.

Moreno has not reverted to his role as assistant amid reports the two have fallen out, although he said in a statement on Wednesday he would not assess his final days as Spain boss, avoiding "a spiral of reproaches and justifications for each of the parties".

But the 42-year-old did thank Luis Enrique, his staff, the RFEF and the media, while also apologising for not addressing reporters after his final match in charge on Monday.

He added in the statement: "I have a clear conscience. It is impossible to please everyone, but I sincerely tell you that I respect all and all opinions.

"I have always maintained that I am a man of my word and would not be an obstacle in the event that Luis Enrique decided to return.

"I have done so even though it has meant my departure. I wish him well because his joys will be ours."

Referring to the "extreme situation" in Luis Enrique's personal life that led to him taking charge, Moreno said he wished he had never been required to become coach.

He concluded: "My experience as an absolute coach began and ended in the same way, with a bittersweet feeling.

"I have to look forward and face new challenges as a coach in my passion, football. I am prepared to face the challenge of leading new projects."

Related items

  • De Laurentiis dismisses Ibrahimovic rumours as Napoli 'start from scratch' under Gattuso De Laurentiis dismisses Ibrahimovic rumours as Napoli 'start from scratch' under Gattuso

    Napoli owner Aurelio De Laurentiis appeared to rule out the signing of Zlatan Ibrahimovic, insisting the club must "start from scratch" after Gennaro Gattuso replaced Carlo Ancelotti.

    Ibrahimovic is a free agent after leaving MLS side LA Galaxy and the veteran striker has been linked with a return to Serie A via Napoli, former club Milan and Serie C outfit Monza.

    Touted to re-join Milan, the arrival of ex-Rossoneri boss Gattuso in Naples has led to speculation Ibrahimovic could move to Napoli instead.

    It comes after Napoli reportedly offered Ibrahimovic an 18-month contract before head coach Ancelotti was sacked following the club's Champions League victory on Tuesday.

    Asked about Ibrahimovic, De Laurentiis told reporters: "Zlatan is a great person with a strong character. We thought about Ibrahimovic when Ancelotti was in charge, as he would've taken a certain role.

    "Now before thinking about him, I have other priorities, as this is a team that must play in a different system with a very high line and a defence that cannot allow what it allowed against Parma.

    "We must focus first and foremost on what we have in-house and then to reinforce the midfield. It's a pity all the work we had done for Ancelotti now has to be scrapped and we start again working for Gattuso's ideas. We start from scratch, but do not lack enthusiasm."

    Gattuso's first match in charge did not go according to plan – Napoli stunned 2-1 by visiting Parma after conceding a 93rd-minute goal on Saturday.

    The result left Napoli languishing in eighth in Serie A, 11 points outside the top four amid an eight-match winless streak in the league.

    "I am totally in sync with Gattuso, who is a great worker," De Laurentiis said. "He did well at Milan and is the right profile for us, as was Carlo, who remains an extraordinary person.

    "Now we need a great deal of patience, nerves of steel and cool heads. I tell that above all to the fans. They want to win at all costs, but football has changed and it has become far more complex."

    On Ancelotti, De Laurentiis added: "I can only wish Ancelotti all the best. He is an extraordinary person and a great friend. Once we reach the end of the season, I'll look at everything and understand what went wrong or who was wrong. We will draw a definitive line."

  • Tuchel backs 'sad' Neymar to score next penalty Tuchel backs 'sad' Neymar to score next penalty

    Paris Saint-Germain head coach Thomas Tuchel backed Neymar to score his next penalty, saying the forward was "sad" about his miss against Saint-Etienne.

    Neymar hit the post with a second-half penalty in PSG's 4-0 victory in Ligue 1 on Sunday.

    It came just days after the Brazilian handed spot-kick duties to Edinson Cavani during a Champions League thrashing of Galatasaray.

    But Tuchel still believes in Neymar, who provided two assists in the comfortable league win, from the spot.

    "I'm always a little nervous as a coach, that's normal," he told a news conference.

    "When he shoots, normally, I'm pretty sure he scores. He's sad because he still wants to score, it was a great opportunity for him.

    "But he's going to kick the next penalty, and I'm sure he'll score again."

    Already behind to Leandro Paredes' opener, Saint-Etienne were reduced to 10 men when Jean-Eudes Aholou saw red in the 25th minute.

    Kylian Mbappe, set up twice by Neymar, scored a brace either side of Mauro Icardi's goal as PSG claimed a fifth straight Ligue 1 win.

    "We have defended very well, with great intensity, always together," Tuchel said.

    "This is a good time for us, victory is deserved. We had a lot of chances to score. We recovered a lot of balls high up in the opposing field.

    "We never stopped defending, even after the red card. It was good, I'm happy. Congratulations to the team."

  • Zidane salutes Real Madrid's mentality after late equaliser Zidane salutes Real Madrid's mentality after late equaliser

    Real Madrid salvaged a 1-1 draw at Valencia on Sunday thanks to a late Karim Benzema equaliser that Zinedine Zidane believes is proof of the team's fighting spirit.

    Valencia looked to be heading for a 1-0 win when Carlos Soler put the hosts in front with 12 minutes to go, then surviving a scare as Luka Jovic had a goal disallowed for offside.

    But Madrid continued to plug away and eventually restored parity deep into stoppage time – Benzema slamming home after goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois was remarkably denied when his header was saved by Jaume Domenech.

    As such, Madrid go into Wednesday's Clasico against Barcelona with something of a morale boost, with Zidane suggesting the late goal highlights his team's mentality.

    "This shows you what we are, we fight until the end. We fight and what we want is to get a good result," he told Movistar.

    "We don't lower our arms. We got it [the equaliser] with the courtesy of Courtois and Karim. I'm glad for them because it has been a tremendous effort from everyone.

    "You have to be proud of the game. When in such a difficult stadium, you concede a goal a few minutes from full-time, you can fall apart, but we still thought that something could be achieved, and we achieved it."

    Club captain Sergio Ramos was less philosophical about dropping points, however, acknowledging he leaves Mestalla disappointed.

    "Despite scoring at the end, it tastes a bit bitter despite adding a point. When you don't leave with the three points, you leave with that pity," he said.

    "I think we've controlled the match well, with balance. We had in front of us a rival who came into the match in good form.

    "We can't press for the full 90 minutes, but we've gone all the way. We've made a point that allows us to stay joint-top."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.