There won't be space for everybody – Morata ready to fight for Spain Euro 2020 spot

By Sports Desk November 17, 2019

Alvaro Morata vowed to continue pushing to earn a place in Spain's squad for Euro 2020, accepting he faces a fight for a spot.

Morata returned to the squad this month and opened the scoring in the 7-0 thrashing of Malta in Euro 2020 qualifying on Friday.

The forward has scored seven goals in 13 games for Atletico Madrid this season and the 27-year-old wants to continue his form to guarantee a spot at next year's European Championship.

"I am confident on the pitch and I know I will have to give everything during the season in order to be at the European Championships," Morata told a news conference on Sunday.

"There won't be space for everybody. I want to keep going, doing everything I can for Atletico and Spain.

"If I play well at the club the Euros will be closer at the end of the season for sure."

Spain have already progressed from Group F ahead of hosting Romania in their final qualifier at the Wanda Metropolitano on Monday.

Robert Moreno has overseen six wins and two draws since first taking charge of Spain in March and the head coach has been happy with his side's progress.

"When you give all you have in order to get everything and you can see the players do that as well, so you can just give 10 out of 10," he said.

"Results sometimes are complex and I think we have done a really good job, my mum says that when she watches us on TV and I agree with her.

"I am giving my staff and my team 10 out of 10 as I couldn't ask more from them."

Moreno is wary of Romania, who are third in the group and have secured a spot in the play-offs.

"I don't think it will be easy, I think it will be even more difficult because when there are teams playing for something there is some pressure, which sometimes is bad for the team," he said.

"Romania are not playing for anything as they have secured a place in the play-offs, so that will make them a more dangerous opponent.

"I would like Cosmin Contra to continue coaching Romania. He is doing a good job. I think he is a good coach. If he wants to keep coaching Romania I think it will be good for the country."

Related items

  • FIFA suspends TTFA indefinitely - letter warns federation's actions are threat to global football stability FIFA suspends TTFA indefinitely - letter warns federation's actions are threat to global football stability

    The Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA) has been suspended indefinitely by FIFA, after its failure to comply with a request to withdraw a legal case against the global football body currently before the courts of Trinidad and Tobago.

    The case was brought before the High Court of Trinidad and Tobago by former TTFA president William Wallace and other deposed executives.  The members had taken umbrage with FIFA’s disbanding of the then four-month-old administration and its installation of a normalisation committee to take over the country’s football affairs.

    According to a letter issued by FIFA on Thursday, however, the actions were in direct violation of article 59 of the FIFA Statutes and that the issue had been recommended by the Bureau of the Council, who took action.

    “The Bureau took note that this course of action breached art. 59 of the FIFA Statutes, which expressly stipulates the prohibition on recourse to ordinary courts of law unless specifically provided for in the FIFA regulations,” the letter read.

    “Additionally, the Bureau was informed that the institution and maintenance of those proceedings by these individuals, purporting to act in the name of the TTFA, in complete disregard for the FIFA Statutes threatens the stability of the structure of football governance, both in Trinidad and Tobago and globally.”

    The letter also pointed out that FIFA had given the TTFA until September 16, to withdraw the case before the court and subsequently given a final deadline of September 23 at 3:00 pm, which was also not met.

    As a result of the suspension, the TTFA will be deprived of its rights as a member, which means that neither its clubs nor national teams will be allowed to compete in any international competitions.  Funding for development programs will also immediately be cut.

    The letter gave three conditions under which the renegade body would be re-admitted to global football.

    1. The TTFA complies with the terms and conditions of its membership of FIFA as set out under the FIFA Statutes, including in particular Article 59 of the FIFA Statutes;
    2. The TTFA acknowledges and confirms FIFA’s power and authority to appoint a Normalisation Committee subject only to the right of the TTFA to appeal such a decision to the Court of Arbitration for Sport;
    3. The TTFA Statutes are amended to ensure that all type of disputes may only be submitted to the established dispute resolution forum at CAS.

    The suspension will immediately impact the country’s participation in the upcoming FIFA World Cup qualifiers.

  • BREAKING NEWS: FIFA suspends TTFA indefinitely, organisation misses deadline to withdraw court case BREAKING NEWS: FIFA suspends TTFA indefinitely, organisation misses deadline to withdraw court case

    The Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA) has been suspended indefinitely by FIFA, after its failure to comply with a request to withdraw a legal case brought against the global football body and currently before the courts of Trinidad and Tobago.

    The case was brought by deposed members of the former TTFA executive, who took issue with FIFA’s appointment of a normalization committee to govern the nation’s football affairs…More to follow.  


    TTFA Watch 

  • In Sancho's footsteps – Bynoe-Gittens swaps Man City for Borussia Dortmund In Sancho's footsteps – Bynoe-Gittens swaps Man City for Borussia Dortmund

    Borussia Dortmund have signed 16-year-old forward Jamie Bynoe-Gittens from Manchester City on a long-term contract.

    Sporting director Michael Zorc confirmed the arrival of the City academy player, who has been capped by England at Under-17 level, during a media conference on Thursday.

    Bynoe-Gittens follows in the footsteps of Jadon Sancho, who was 17 when he left the Premier League giants for Dortmund in 2017.

    Sancho departed City for a clearer path to first-team football and has become of the hottest properties in Europe after scoring 30 goals and setting up another 35 in 79 Bundesliga appearances.

    "Jamie Bynoe-Gittens has joined us, and we are delighted to have him at in our youth set-up. He will initially play with the Under-19s," said Zorc.

    "Our scouting department have done a fantastic job! He is a highly talented wide player, who will get the chance to develop at his own pace in our youth teams.

    "We don't want expectations to be raised too high right from the start.

    "He is still a year younger than Jadon was then … the hope is that at some point he will be promoted to the professional team."

    Bynoe-Gittens becomes the third Englishman in Dortmund's ranks, alongside Sancho and 17-year-old playmaker Jude Bellingham.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.