Low highlights importance of Kroos and improved Ginter to Germany

By Sports Desk November 17, 2019

Joachim Low singled out Toni Kroos and Matthias Ginter for praise following Germany's Euro 2020 qualification, highlighting the importance of the midfielder and defender.

Germany crushed Belarus 4-0 on Saturday to secure their place at next year's tournament, with Leon Goretzka, Ginter and two-goal Kroos on the scoresheet.

It has been a difficult period for Die Mannschaft following their early World Cup elimination last year, with Low's selection policy in particular resulting in criticism of the coach, with Thomas Muller, Mats Hummels and Jerome Boateng excluded from the squad.

A home defeat to Netherlands in September had Germany's automatic qualification hopes looking somewhat precarious given the form of the Oranje and Northern Ireland.

But they have since cruised over the line with minimal fuss and Low applauded Kroos not just for his effective display on Saturday, but for his general attitude.

"Toni Kroos played a great game, not just because he scored twice," Low told the German Football Association's (DFB) official website.

"You can pass him the ball at any time and he'll find a way to deal with it, even if he's under pressure. He has a great vision and a sense of where he is on the pitch.

"He's a role model for the rest of the team with the way he approaches his job. He always puts in that extra bit of work before and after training – he's a consummate professional."

Ginter has become a fixture at the heart of the Germany defence in Euro 2020 qualifying, making six starts as Low found his replacement for the banished Hummels.

It marks an impressive rise for the centre-back, who just a couple of years ago seemed to be failing to live up to his early potential when Borussia Dortmund allowed him to leave for Borussia Monchengladbach.

"As a coach, you always know what to expect from him [Ginter]," Low added. "You can trust him and he is able to do what we want him to do, which is to help build the play up from defence.

"He's gotten much better. He has this sense of calmness about him, which is what makes him so solid, serious and reliable. I'm especially happy that he was able to score such a beautiful goal [on Saturday]."

Related items

  • Rumour Has It: Dybala to become Juventus' second highest paid player behind Ronaldo Rumour Has It: Dybala to become Juventus' second highest paid player behind Ronaldo

    Paulo Dybala is set to become Juventus' second highest paid player, while Paris Saint-Germain are reportedly targeting Marcus Rashford.

    Dybala was linked with a move away from the Serie A club last year, but ended up staying and is enjoying a fine season in Turin.

    Now, the Argentina international is set to be rewarded.

     

    TOP STORY – DYBALA TO BECOME JUVE'S SECOND HIGHEST PAID PLAYER

    Coming out of contract in 2022, Dybala is close to extending his contract at Juventus until 2025, according to Tuttosport.

    The playmaker will become Juve's second highest paid player behind only star forward Cristiano Ronaldo.

    Dybala has scored 17 goals and provided eight assists in 41 games in all competitions this season.

    ROUND-UP

    - Paris Saint-Germain are eyeing a Manchester United forward. The Independent reports PSG have made Rashford their top transfer target.

    - Staying in Paris and talk about Neymar's future continues. Mundo Deportivo says Neymar still wants a return to Barcelona, who are reportedly set to raise funds by selling numerous players. Sport says they are prepared to sell Samuel Umtiti amid interest from Lazio, Napoli, Roma and Torino.

    - Jan Vertonghen is coming out of contract at Tottenham and appears set to leave the club. The Telegraph reports the defender has emerged as a target for Manchester City.

    - Milan goalkeeper Gianluigi Donnarumma's contract expires in 2021. CalcioMercato reports renewing the shot-stopper's deal is becoming a priority for Milan, who are set to extend his contract until 2023.

    - Former Juventus striker Mario Mandzukic, 34, is a free agent after leaving Qatari club Al-Duhail. According to CalcioMercato, Inter are yet to make a strong move for the Croatian amid reported interest.

    - As they look to raise funds, Manchester United are open to selling six players. The Telegraph reports Alexis Sanchez, Chris Smalling, Marcos Rojo, Phil Jones, Jesse Lingard and Diogo Dalot are considered dispensable.

  • MLS is Back Tournament: Inter Miami lose again, Mueller leads Orlando MLS is Back Tournament: Inter Miami lose again, Mueller leads Orlando

    Inter Miami slumped to another defeat at the MLS is Back Tournament, while Chris Mueller lifted Orlando City on Tuesday.

    In their maiden season in MLS, Inter Miami are yet to grab a point after a 2-1 loss to Philadelphia Union in Group A in Florida.

    Kai Wagner opened the scoring for Philadelphia in the fifth minute with a low strike from just outside the area.

    But Inter Miami levelled before half-time through Rodolfo Pizarro, who capped off a fine team move to make it 1-1.

    Kacper Przybylko found what proved to be the winner just after the hour-mark, finishing off a blistering counter-attack with a fine strike into the bottom corner.

    Making matters worse for Inter Miami as they slumped to a fourth straight loss, defender Andres Reyes was sent off deep into additional time.

    Philadelphia have booked their spot in the last 16 from Group A, and Orlando City did likewise after a 3-1 win over New York City.

    Mueller produced a wonderful fourth-minute finish to open the scoring before doubling the lead six minutes later.

    Jesus Medina's brilliant half-volley from 20 yards brought New York City back into the game, but Tesho Akindele sealed Orlando's win with a close-range header.

  • Barcelona must be self-critical after letting LaLiga slip – Suarez Barcelona must be self-critical after letting LaLiga slip – Suarez

    Luis Suarez insisted Barcelona only had themselves to blame for letting LaLiga slip away, saying winning the title was now impossible.

    With two league games remaining, Barca are four points adrift of rivals and leaders Real Madrid.

    Quique Setien's men looked on track for the title but have dropped points in three of their past seven matches.

    Suarez said Barcelona needed to take responsibility for letting the league slip, admitting it was impossible to win – even with Madrid yet to officially seal the crown.

    "In the league you have to be self-critical – we let it escape ourselves," he told Mundo Deportivo.

    "We are aware that we depended on ourselves and do not find any excuse. Now, for our pride and for the prestige of Barca, we have to win the remaining two games and then focus fully on the only title we can fight, which is the Champions League.

    "If we perform at the level of why we are at this club, we can fight anyone. A failure in a match can be expensive, so we have to be very vigilant and we need everyone to be able to get the Champions League."

    Barcelona president Josep Maria Bartomeu and defender Gerard Pique have been among those to question the use of the VAR after several decisions went Real Madrid's way in recent matches.

    However, Suarez refused to use that as an excuse for his side, instead lamenting the draws against Sevilla, Celta Vigo and Atletico Madrid.

    "It is clear that if we had been up to the task in games like against Sevilla, which is a rival that can tie you, but especially in Vigo, which was a very hard blow and Atletico Madrid right after," the forward said.

    "Minimising the details of the VAR is sometimes difficult. Yes, Gerard and the president made their demonstrations public, but I think that the rivals were also fighting important things like Athletic [Bilbao], Getafe … and they were the ones affected.

    "This time, not only were we harmed, but I think we shouldn't look for so many excuses, but rather be self-critical and face reality."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.