EPL

CAS deems Manchester City's UEFA appeal 'inadmissible'

By Sports Desk November 15, 2019

Manchester City's appeal against UEFA's investigation into alleged breaches of Financial Fair Play (FFP) regulations has been ruled "inadmissible" by the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS).

The Premier League champions lodged proceedings with CAS in June after UEFA's Club Financial Control Body (CFCB) referred their case to its adjudicatory chamber.

The CFCB's investigatory chamber opened a probe into City in March following allegations the club broke rules relating to FFP, third-party ownership and youth player recruitment in articles by German publication Der Spiegel, which drew upon documents purportedly obtained by whistleblowers Football Leaks.

When UEFA referred their case in May, City said in a statement: "The accusation of financial irregularities remains entirely false and the CFCB IC referral ignores a comprehensive body of irrefutable evidence provided by Manchester City FC." 

In a media release on Thursday, CAS explained City's appeal was not admissible because UEFA has not reached a final decision in the case.

The statement read: "The CAS Panel determined that MCFC’s appeal was inadmissible, considering that 'An appeal against the decision of a federation, association or sports-related body may be filed with CAS… if the Appellant has exhausted the legal remedies available to it prior to the appeal, in accordance with the statutes or regulations of that body.'(Article R47 of the CAS Rules).

"In the present case, the decision rendered by the CFCB IC to refer a case to the CFCB AC is not final and can therefore not be appealed to CAS directly, because the AC is competent to take any of the decisions listed in Article 27 CFCB Procedural Rules, that are described as being final."

City must now await a decision from the adjudicatory chamber, which could in theory extend to a Champions League ban. However, a report by The Athletic on Wednesday claimed UEFA will only issue the club with a fine and not suspend them from taking part in its competitions.

In August, FIFA fined City CHF 370,000 (£314,725) for breaching rules in relation to signing youth players but did not impose a transfer ban.

The Football Association found no evidence to support Der Spiegel's claim City made an illegal payment to the agent of their former winger Jadon Sancho and closed an investigation earlier this month, while the Premier League's own probe into the claims emanating from Football Leaks remains ongoing.

Related items

  • Hojbjerg completes Tottenham switch as Walker-Peters heads to Southampton Hojbjerg completes Tottenham switch as Walker-Peters heads to Southampton

    Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg has completed his move to Tottenham from Southampton, who have signed Kyle Walker-Peters from the north London club on a permanent deal.

     

  • Goretzka relishing Messi challenge after Ronaldo tests Goretzka relishing Messi challenge after Ronaldo tests

    Bayern Munich midfielder Leon Goretzka is looking forward to the challenge of taking on Barcelona superstar Lionel Messi after going up against Cristiano Ronaldo.

    When he was at Schalke, Goretzka twice faced Ronaldo's Real Madrid, losing 6-1 in February 2014 and winning 4-3 at the Santiago Bernabeu a year later – with both matches part of Champions League last-16 exits for the Bundesliga side.

    The imposing midfielder will get his first chance to take on Messi in a professional match when Bayern play Barca in the Champions League quarter-finals in Lisbon on Friday.

    However, Goretzka knows it will take a team effort to contain Messi, who was pivotal in getting Barca past Napoli in the last-16 second leg last week.

    "After having played Cristiano Ronaldo several times, it's nice to be able to play against another leading footballer of our decade," said Goretzka.

    "The only way it works [stopping Messi] is collectively. Everyone knows just how gifted he is, he is capable of finding many solutions also in tight situations.

    "We will have to fight back as a team. If one player can actually take away his fun in the game, I don't know. We just have to fight back as a team and try to play our game."

    Goretzka left Schalke for Bayern on a free transfer in 2018 despite interest from Barcelona, and he feels resisting the lure of Camp Nou was the correct decision.

    "Back then I deliberately took a long time. I had a few options to stay with Schalke. I listened to everything and made a conscious decision in favour of Bayern. I have never regretted making this decision," he said.

    The suspension of major football during the coronavirus pandemic means the quarter-finals and semi-finals of the Champions League will be played as single games rather than over two legs, with UEFA squeezing in the closing stages of the tournament ahead of the start of the 2020-21 season.

    Goretzka believes Bayer Leverkusen's Europa League exit at the hands of Inter on Monday was a reminder of how that change has altered the dynamics of European competition.

    "This is a knockout game. The right mental mix is always required. Yesterday the Leverkusen game annoyed me because they actually played a good game but were eliminated because of 20 minutes. I had the feeling that they would have progressed over two legs," he said.

    "I think we can beat any opponent. Nevertheless, we know that a very good team is waiting for us with world-class players. But we will play with our chests puffed out, like we have over the past nine months. We are already in a positive mood."

  • Bayern 'cautiously optimistic' on Alaba extension, want 'fair fee' for Thiago Bayern 'cautiously optimistic' on Alaba extension, want 'fair fee' for Thiago

    Bayern Munich chief executive Karl-Heinz Rummenigge is "cautiously optimistic" that David Alaba will sign a contract extension with the Bundesliga champions. 

    Versatile defender Alaba has less than a year remaining on his existing deal at the Allianz Arena but, according to reports, the club are unwilling to meet his demand for a €20million annual salary. 

    Hansi Flick has expressed his hope that the Austria international will finish his career at Bayern, who are gearing up for a Champions League quarter-final against Barcelona in Lisbon on Friday. 

    Alaba is expected to re-enter negotiations with the Bavarian giants once their European campaign is over and Rummenigge believes an agreement will be reached. 

    "With Alaba, I am cautiously optimistic we will find a solution," Rummenigge told the media on Tuesday.

    Bayern look set to lose Thiago Alcantara, however, with the midfielder having informed the club of his desire to leave. 

    Thiago has a contract until the end of the 2020-21 season but is available for "a fair fee" amid links to Premier League champions Liverpool. 

    Rummenigge said: "Thiago is known to have told us he would like to do something new. If a club approaches us that is willing to pay a fair fee, we will deal with it." 

    Having already signed Leroy Sane from Manchester City in a deal that could reach €60m, Rummenigge insisted there will be no further significant outlays. 

    Bayern opted against exercising their option to make Philippe Coutinho's loan from Barca permanent and any lingering hopes of remaining in Munich appear to have been dashed. 

    "Coutinho - as I said, the contract is running out and we cannot and will not make any further investments of this magnitude," said Rummenigge.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.