Puig impresses as Barcelona beat Cartagena in charity match

By Sports Desk November 13, 2019

Barcelona claimed a 2-0 win at third-tier side Cartagena on Wednesday in a match raising money for those affected by flooding in Murcia earlier this year.

A year's worth of rain fell in 24 hours back in September, causing significant damage to farmland, properties and facilities in the south-eastern region.

The charity fundraiser was well attended for the visit of Barca, who named a strong starting XI that included Neto, Gerard Pique, Sergi Roberto, Junior Firpo and Ousmane Dembele.

Former Spain international Pique was withdrawn with the game still level in the 37th minute, while Dembele followed at half-time.

Despite the presence of first-team regulars, it was highly rated 20-year-old midfielder Riqui Puig who caught the eye most, impressing with his vision, close control and positive approach. 

Puig played a role in the opening goal just past the hour, prodding the ball to Carles Perez on the edge of the box after being crowded out and the forward lashed home.

Alejandro Marques wrapped things up late on, turning home Sergio Akieme's low cross.

Related items

  • Bartomeu won't resign yet as Barcelona prepare for vote of no confidence on November 1-2 Bartomeu won't resign yet as Barcelona prepare for vote of no confidence on November 1-2

    Barcelona president Josep Maria Bartomeu is not yet stepping down but says there are plans in place for a vote of no confidence to be held on November 1-2.

    A motion against the incumbent president passed the threshold of 16,250 member votes on October 8, forcing the club's board to set a date for the vote to take place.

    Bartomeu and the board met at the Camp Nou offices on Monday and it had been reported the president could resign immediately due to uncertainty around the manner in which the referendum can be held amid the coronavirus pandemic.

    Spain recently declared a new state of emergency due to the increase in new COVID-19 cases across the country, which has recorded more than 1.15million infections.

    Bartomeu says the board are awaiting a decision from Barcelona's regional government to determine whether it will be safe to hold the no-confidence vote at Camp Nou this weekend, with their proposal for an additional delay having been denied.

    "We put adequate mechanisms in place for the vote of no confidence, proposing November 1 and 2 in 13 locations in Catalonia," he told reporters on Monday.

    "Last Thursday, our request to have 15 days to make the vote as universal as possible was not respected. The Generalitat [the government of Catalonia] did not accept to do it on November 15 and 16 in a decentralised way.

    "[On Sunday], the prime minister [Pedro Sanchez] decreed a state of alarm and a curfew, establishing meetings of a maximum of six people, and Catalonia decreed a night-time curfew. We sent a letter to the Generalitat asking how we could guarantee the vote of members of over 65 and how we could guarantee the health of the 300 workers.

    "We know that we live in serious situations that require exceptional measures; they are incompatible with partisan positions. We have decided that we will meet again when we have the answers.

    "Regarding the vote of no confidence, we are waiting for a response from the Generalitat to know if the health situation is maintained so the vote can be held on November 1 and 2.

    "We have always wanted a decentralised vote, in various venues so that as many members as possible vote, so we asked for 15 more days, but last Thursday we were told that it would be November 1 and 2. We don't have time and if the vote is centralised at Camp Nou on November 1 and 2, it will have to be done with an adequate health protocol."

  • Kroos defends Zidane as Real Madrid boss weighs up Hazard return Kroos defends Zidane as Real Madrid boss weighs up Hazard return

    Toni Kroos insists the Real Madrid squad still has faith in coach Zinedine Zidane after the Frenchman came under scrutiny in the wake of some recent poor results.

    Although Madrid head into Tuesday's Champions League encounter with Borussia Monchengladbach on the back of a 3-1 Clasico win over Barcelona, prior back-to-back defeats to promoted Cadiz and depleted Shakhtar Donetsk raised questions.

    Both shock losses came at home, with the 3-2 reverse to Shakhtar – in which they found themselves 3-0 down at half-time – seeing Los Blancos playing catch-up right away in Champions League Group B.

    The Clasico victory at Camp Nou on Saturday prevented the pressure from increasing, though another poor result in Europe will surely have Zidane on the back foot again.

    But Kroos is adamant such defeats are not on the coach.

    "For our part, there have never been doubts with Zidane," he told reporters. "We lose and win together.

    "It is easy if something is not going well to say that there are doubts, but the result of the Clasico showed that it is not like that.

    "If you play for Madrid you have to accept that if you lose matches there is criticism. The important thing is how you react and we did very well, but it is only one victory and you have to continue like this."

    Similarly, Zidane seemed to give little significance to the idea he is under pressure.

    "I only think about tomorrow's game," he told reporters on Monday. "I will fight until the last day and we will do things as usual. The rest, we will see."

    Zidane has been given the boost of being able to include Eden Hazard in the squad for the first time this season, the Belgium star having sustained a muscle injury as he neared a return to action at the end of last month.

    But the coach was not giving anything away with regards to the winger's chances of playing in Germany on Tuesday.

    "If Hazard is with us it is because he is well and that is good news," Zidane said. "We are all happy to see him with us.

    "Tomorrow we will see how we are going to use him. It is very positive news for us."

  • TTFA outlines Sunday's resolutions in apologetic letter to Normalization Committee TTFA outlines Sunday's resolutions in apologetic letter to Normalization Committee

    Richard Ferguson, Chairman of Sunday’s Extraordinary General Meeting of the delegates of the Trinidad and Tobago Football Association has written to Robert Hadad of the FIFA-appointed Normalization Committee stating that they will comply with its obligation as a member of FIFA and that they will cease all legal action against the sport’s governing body.

    The move effectively brings to an end the seven-month long dispute between the association and FIFA, who in March 2020, dissolved the TTFA’s administration four months after it was duly elected in November 2019.

    FIFA cited weak financial controls and systems that plagued the heavily indebted association. However, the matter led to a month's long dispute that went before the Court of Arbitration for Sport, the Trinidad and Tobago High Court of Justice and eventually before the Trinidad and Tobago Appeals Court, who ruled in favour of FIFA late last week.

    Today’s letter follows on the heels of resolutions that were overwhelmingly accepted during Sunday’s EGM and from which former TTFA President William Wallace and members of his executive withdrew.

    It states that the TTFA has decided to “comply with its obligation as a member of FIFA, recognizing the legitimacy of the FIFA- appointed Normalization Committee” and to bring its own statutes in line with the FIFA statutes.

    They have also resolved to fully cooperate with the Normalization Committee in the fulfillment of its mandate as stated in FIFA's letter of March 17th, 2020 and critically, that all court matters existing between the TTFA and FIFA shall be immediately brought to a stop."

    Ferguson also stated that the “TTFA must advise that its members have agreed to abide with the conditions of the Normalisation Committee and will co-operate fully to ensure that the mandate of the Committee is realized.”

    He also apologized to Hadad and members of the Normalization Committee, FIFA, CONCACAF and CFU “for any embarrassment and inconvenience caused by TTFA representatives over the last year.”

    “I also hope that a strong positive relationship can be re-established as we move forward for the betterment of football in Trinidad and Tobago.”

     

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.