Rumour Has It: Messi in no rush to extend Barcelona contract

By Sports Desk November 12, 2019

Lionel Messi is seemingly in no rush to extend his Barcelona contract.

Messi's future is regularly talked about after it was revealed earlier this year the superstar can leave the LaLiga giants for free at the end of any season.

The five-time Ballon d'Or winner is contracted at Barcelona until 2021, though it remains to be seen if he wants to stay on beyond his current deal.

 

TOP STORY – MESSI IN NO RUSH OVER BARCELONA CONTRACT

Messi has no intention of discussing a contract extension at Barcelona until next season, according to Marca.

The 32-year-old plans to be at the club next season, the report says, but will not open talks regarding a new deal.

Messi has been at Barcelona during his entire professional career, winning 10 LaLiga titles and four Champions Leagues among numerous other trophies.

ROUND-UP

- Paris Saint-Germain are looking to the future. Sport reports the Ligue 1 giants are seriously considering a move for Real Madrid forward Vinicius Junior. Kylian Mbappe and Neymar have been linked with moves away from PSG and the 19-year-old could help the French club going forward.

- Manchester City and Real Madrid could be set for a transfer battle. The clubs are interested in Real Sociedad and Spain forward Mikel Oyarzabal, according to CalcioMercato. The 22-year-old has scored 29 LaLiga goals since the start of 2017-18.

- Unai Emery has some time. The Sun reports the under-fire Arsenal head coach will be given until 2020 to turn the club's form around. It also reports Manchester City would allow assistant Mikel Arteta – an ex-Arsenal midfielder – to head to Emirates Stadium, should his former club want to appoint the Spaniard.

- Liverpool could strengthen in January. TalkSPORT reports the Premier League leaders are in advanced talks with Bournemouth over a deal to sign winger Ryan Fraser, who is out of contract at the end of the season. Bournemouth may want Harry Wilson – who is on loan from Liverpool – as part of a deal.

- Struggling in ninth in Serie A, Fiorentina may be ready to move on from Vincenzo Montella. The club are ready to make an approach for former Inter coach Luciano Spalletti, according to Firenze Viola.

Related items

  • NFL Week 15 Bullet Points: Three must-know stats previewing every game NFL Week 15 Bullet Points: Three must-know stats previewing every game

    The Tennessee Titans take on AFC South rivals the Houston Texans in the stand-out match of the NFL schedule in Week 15.

    With both teams holding an 8-5 record, there are huge playoff implications to Sunday's meeting with just three matches left of the regular season.

    But that is far from the only game to keep an eye on in the coming days, with the under-pressure Dallas Cowboys hosting the Los Angeles Rams and the Buffalo Bills on the road against the Pittsburgh Steelers.

    The New England Patriots are also looking to bounce back after suffering back-to-back defeats when they play the Cincinnati Bengals.

    Using data from Stats Perform, we take a closer look at all the Week 15 fixtures.

     

  • Richard Masters named new Premier League chief executive Richard Masters named new Premier League chief executive

    The Premier League has appointed Richard Masters as its new chief executive with immediate effect.

    Masters, who first took the job on an interim basis last year, was approved by Premier League clubs at a special meeting on Thursday.

    "I feel privileged to be given the opportunity to lead the Premier League in what will be one of the most exciting stages of its development," said Masters in a statement.

    "I have thoroughly enjoyed working with the clubs and our partners and other stakeholders over the past year. This is one of the most incredible jobs in the world of sport and I now look forward to leading the League in the many opportunities and challenges that lie ahead."

    Chelsea chairman Bruce Buck, who heads the Premier League nominations committee, added: "Richard took on the role of interim chief executive a year ago. Since then, the clubs have seen Richard rise to the occasion, dealing with our various stakeholders and partners with aplomb and skill.

    "As interim chief executive, he has faced challenges head-on and has proved himself. The clubs believe that this is the right appointment now in the long-term interests of the Premier League."

    Masters is the third person to be named as the new chief executive since Richard Scudamore stood down after almost 20 years in the role.

    It was initially announced that Discovery executive Susanna Dinnage would take over, but she changed her mind about the role last December.

    David Pemsel was named the new choice in October and was due to start in the job in February, only to withdraw in the wake of newspaper claims about his private life.

    Masters joined the Premier League as director of sales and marketing in 2006, having previously worked at the English Football League and England and Wales Cricket Board, and in 2015 was promoted to managing director.

  • Carvajal tells Mbappe: The best play for Real Madrid Carvajal tells Mbappe: The best play for Real Madrid

    Dani Carvajal would like Kylian Mbappe to leave Paris Saint-Germain for Real Madrid as he believes the world's best players should be at the Santiago Bernabeu.

    France star Mbappe continues to be linked with a future move to Madrid and has reportedly stalled on the idea of a new PSG contract in order to make a transfer more likely.

    Madrid head coach Zinedine Zidane has repeatedly expressed his admiration for the 20-year-old forward, whose relationship with PSG boss Thomas Tuchel has shown signs of strain lately, not least when Mbappe ignored him after being substituted against Montpellier last weekend.

    Carvajal would certainly not be against Mbappe moving to the Spanish capital, telling reporters on Thursday: "What we've seen is obvious. He's one of the greats and it would be good [to play with him] because the best have to be here."

    Madrid defender Carvajal was speaking ahead of a difficult week for Madrid, who face Valencia at Mestalla on Sunday before next Wednesday's Clasico with Barcelona at Camp Nou.

    That fixture was due to take place in October but was rearranged after concern about political unrest in Catalonia.

    Security issues remain a concern ahead of the game, while it is expected that a large banner encouraging dialogue over the issue of Catalan independence will be displayed by a protest group in the stands.

    Carvajal is keen for authorities to ensure the match goes ahead safely, but he insists he is only concerned with getting three points.

    "We're calm. We want it to be played with the maximum guarantees of security. We don't know if it was a mistake to rearrange it," said the full-back.

    "I want to go to Camp Nou and win. The rest doesn't bother me.

    "It's a very important, beautiful week for us and we're going to try to make it three [wins] from three.

    "We have fewer hours of rest than Barcelona and after a demanding game like at Mestalla, it can show in your legs."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.