EPL

Sterling: Emotions got the better of me in Gomez incident

By Sports Desk November 11, 2019

Raheem Sterling admitted emotions got the better of him in a bust up with Joe Gomez, but the England star is moving on after being dropped.

Sterling, 24, was reportedly involved in a physical confrontation with Gomez at England's training base on Monday and has been dropped for Thursday's Euro 2020 qualifier against Montenegro.

The Manchester City star and Gomez were also involved in an altercation during Liverpool's 3-1 win over the Premier League champions on Sunday.

In a post on Instagram, Sterling said it was time to move on, but admitted he had let his emotions get the better of him.

"First and foremost everyone knows what that game means to me!" he wrote.

"Everyone knows that I am not that way inclined and more to the point ... both Joe and I have had words and figured things out and moved on.

"We are in a sport where emotions run high and I am man enough to admit when emotions got the better of me.

"We move [sic] this is why we play this sport because of our love for it – me and @joegomez5 are good we both understand it was a 5-10 second thing it's done we move forward and not make this bigger than it is.

"Let's get focus [sic] on our game on Thursday."

England are on the verge of qualifying for next year's tournament and face Kosovo in Pristina on Sunday after their clash with Montenegro.

Related items

  • Richard Masters named new Premier League chief executive Richard Masters named new Premier League chief executive

    The Premier League has appointed Richard Masters as its new chief executive with immediate effect.

    Masters, who first took the job on an interim basis last year, was approved by Premier League clubs at a special meeting on Thursday.

    "I feel privileged to be given the opportunity to lead the Premier League in what will be one of the most exciting stages of its development," said Masters in a statement.

    "I have thoroughly enjoyed working with the clubs and our partners and other stakeholders over the past year. This is one of the most incredible jobs in the world of sport and I now look forward to leading the League in the many opportunities and challenges that lie ahead."

    Chelsea chairman Bruce Buck, who heads the Premier League nominations committee, added: "Richard took on the role of interim chief executive a year ago. Since then, the clubs have seen Richard rise to the occasion, dealing with our various stakeholders and partners with aplomb and skill.

    "As interim chief executive, he has faced challenges head-on and has proved himself. The clubs believe that this is the right appointment now in the long-term interests of the Premier League."

    Masters is the third person to be named as the new chief executive since Richard Scudamore stood down after almost 20 years in the role.

    It was initially announced that Discovery executive Susanna Dinnage would take over, but she changed her mind about the role last December.

    David Pemsel was named the new choice in October and was due to start in the job in February, only to withdraw in the wake of newspaper claims about his private life.

    Masters joined the Premier League as director of sales and marketing in 2006, having previously worked at the English Football League and England and Wales Cricket Board, and in 2015 was promoted to managing director.

  • Carvajal tells Mbappe: The best play for Real Madrid Carvajal tells Mbappe: The best play for Real Madrid

    Dani Carvajal would like Kylian Mbappe to leave Paris Saint-Germain for Real Madrid as he believes the world's best players should be at the Santiago Bernabeu.

    France star Mbappe continues to be linked with a future move to Madrid and has reportedly stalled on the idea of a new PSG contract in order to make a transfer more likely.

    Madrid head coach Zinedine Zidane has repeatedly expressed his admiration for the 20-year-old forward, whose relationship with PSG boss Thomas Tuchel has shown signs of strain lately, not least when Mbappe ignored him after being substituted against Montpellier last weekend.

    Carvajal would certainly not be against Mbappe moving to the Spanish capital, telling reporters on Thursday: "What we've seen is obvious. He's one of the greats and it would be good [to play with him] because the best have to be here."

    Madrid defender Carvajal was speaking ahead of a difficult week for Madrid, who face Valencia at Mestalla on Sunday before next Wednesday's Clasico with Barcelona at Camp Nou.

    That fixture was due to take place in October but was rearranged after concern about political unrest in Catalonia.

    Security issues remain a concern ahead of the game, while it is expected that a large banner encouraging dialogue over the issue of Catalan independence will be displayed by a protest group in the stands.

    Carvajal is keen for authorities to ensure the match goes ahead safely, but he insists he is only concerned with getting three points.

    "We're calm. We want it to be played with the maximum guarantees of security. We don't know if it was a mistake to rearrange it," said the full-back.

    "I want to go to Camp Nou and win. The rest doesn't bother me.

    "It's a very important, beautiful week for us and we're going to try to make it three [wins] from three.

    "We have fewer hours of rest than Barcelona and after a demanding game like at Mestalla, it can show in your legs."

  • Ronaldo: I would sign up now to meet Real Madrid in Champions League final Ronaldo: I would sign up now to meet Real Madrid in Champions League final

    Juventus forward Cristiano Ronaldo has targeted a reunion with his former club Real Madrid in the Champions League final.

    Ronaldo netted for Juventus in a 2-0 victory over Bayer Leverkusen on Wednesday as they finished their Group D campaign with five wins and a draw.

    The Italian champions will be joined in the knockout stages by Group A runners-up Madrid, with whom Ronaldo spent nine memorable years before heading to Turin in 2018.

    Madrid are one of five sides Juve could face in the last 16, along with Chelsea, Borussia Dortmund, Lyon and Tottenham, but Ronaldo is hoping to avoid the LaLiga giants for now.

    "Real are an extraordinary team, but if you ask me, I'd rather face them later," Ronaldo, who won the Champions League four times with Madrid, told Sky Sport Italia.

    "In the final? I would sign up now to meet them in the final."

    Ronaldo has scored in three successive matches for Juventus and feels fully over a niggling injury that curtailed his playing time last month.

    "I feel good, the physical problems I had have passed," he said. "It was four weeks that I was playing with a little pain, but now I'm fine.

    "The team is doing well. We played very well in the second half [against Leverkusen] and are first in the group. Things have improved for me too. I have more confidence and hope to continue like this."

    Maurizio Sarri claimed last week that it is not possible to use Ronaldo, Paulo Dybala and Gonzalo Higuain in a front three, with the Juventus head coach instead preferring to rotate.

    Ronaldo admitted he likes playing alongside the Argentinian duo but is happy to follow Sarri's plan.

    "Whether I play with Dybala or Higuain, it is great," he said.

    "I like playing with both of them, we have a lot of fun on the pitch, but the coach is the one who makes the decisions and we must respect them.

    "But I can't deny that we have a lot of fun."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.