Rodrigo ruled out of Spain qualifiers through injury

By Sports Desk November 09, 2019

Rodrigo Moreno has been ruled out of Spain's upcoming Euro 2020 qualifiers after sustaining a back injury in Valencia's 2-0 win against Granada on Saturday.

The 28-year-old was on Friday named in Robert Moreno's 23-man squad for the home game with Malta on November 15 and the visit of Romania three days later. 

However, he was substituted seven minutes into the second half of Valencia's LaLiga clash with Granada and will sit out both fixtures.

The Royal Spanish Football Federation confirmed his withdrawal on Twitter but have yet to announce who will be called up in his place.

Speaking after his side's victory over Granada, Valencia head coach Albert Celades said: "Rodrigo was replaced because he had back problems. We don't think it's serious but for now we do not know any more."

Rodrigo has appeared in seven of Spain's eight Euro 2020 qualifiers and scored a late equaliser against Sweden last month to seal their place in next year's finals.

Related items

  • Rumour Has It: Man Utd contact Sancho's agent, Chelsea ready to offer Donnarumma huge deal Rumour Has It: Man Utd contact Sancho's agent, Chelsea ready to offer Donnarumma huge deal

    Jadon Sancho is the name on everyone's lips.

    The Borussia Dortmund teenager has taken Europe by storm and clubs are queuing up.

    But Manchester United are reportedly at the front of the line.

     

    TOP STORY – UNITED IN TOUCH WITH SANCHO AGENT

    Manchester United have contacted Jadon Sancho's agent as they look to sign the Borussia Dortmund sensation, according to Fabrizio Romano.

    Sancho tops the list of United's transfer targets following his exploits for the Bundesliga side, with Liverpool and Chelsea also reportedly interested.

    But Dortmund – who will not stand in Sancho's way of a departure – are unwilling to budge on their €110million (£98m) valuation.

     

    ROUND-UP

    - Tuttosport reports Chelsea are preparing a huge contract offer for Milan goalkeeper Gianluigi Donnarumma. It comes as the Blues reportedly look to sell Kepa Arrizabalaga.

    Juventus are interested in Achraf Hakimi, says Calciomercato. Achraf is set to return to Real Madrid following a two-year loan spell at Dortmund. Chelsea and Paris Saint-Germain have also been linked to the Moroccan full-back.

    Inter have named their price for Barcelona target Lautaro Martinez, Calciomercato reports. With a release clause of €111m, Inter want at least €80m in cash.

    - Birmingham City's 16-year-old star Jude Bellingham is set to reject a transfer to United in favour of Dortmund, says Bild.

    Tottenham and Arsenal, along with Crystal Palace and West Ham, are eyeing Liverpool defender Dejan Lovren, according to Team Talk.

    - Calciomercato claims Inter have not given up on signing Napoli forward Dries Mertens on a free transfer. The Belgian star is out of contract at the end of 2019-20.

    Madrid is the preferred option for Rennes teenager Eduardo Camavinga, says Marca. Liverpool, Dortmund and PSG have also emerged as possible suitors for the 17-year-old.

    - Corriere dello Sport says Valencia are eyeing Inter centre-back Diego Godin, who has been linked to United and Tottenham.

    Roma are lining up a move for Atletico Madrid striker Diego Costa, says Diario AS. Clubs in Brazil and Qatar are also reportedly circling.

  • Reggae Boy struggles with self-isolation in foreign country Reggae Boy struggles with self-isolation in foreign country

    Jamaican international Shamar Nicholson paints a frustrated image from his home in the Belgian city of Charleroi.

    Nicholson, a former Boys’ Town footballer, transferred from the Red Stripe Premier League and now plies his trade in Belgium’s Jupiter League.

    Charleroi, for whom he plays, are currently third in the league but its suspension due to the COVID-19 pandemic has left him in a difficult place.

    “[…] it’s a difficult situation as it’s not vacation time and I’m not used to not playing football now in season time, it feels so weird,” said Nicholson in an interview with Jamaican newspaper, The Gleaner.

    The 23-year-old is keeping in shape while the league is suspended courtesy of a personal trainer and a programme the club has written for his daily exercise at home, but that is not enough.

    “I’m in Charleroi and when you go out, you don’t see people outside, you hear no noise, nothing, it’s so weird. It has affected the whole country and, as we speak, it’s affecting the whole world and now it’s football season and there is no football, it’s just staying home and you get so tired of staying home, even though training is hard,” said Nicholson.

    Nicholson had scored nine goals for Charleroi before the forced break, with just one player having scored more for his side.

    There was just one game remaining in the regular season by the time COVID-19 fears put an end to football in Belgium, with Charleroi in third place, one point of a Champions League spot.

    Nicholson wants the league to play that one remaining regular season game, even if there are no playoffs to come after.

    “It would mean so much to me if the team should qualify automatically for the Champions League, it would mean a lot,” he said.

    The man who has scored seven goals in 18 appearances for Jamaica believes that the re-start of all the leagues around the world will be tough because teams usually develop momentum along the way as the players become more match ready as the season progresses.

    Because of the break, he says, there was no way of telling which teams would start quickly.   

  • Coronavirus: Messi never opposed Barca pay cuts – Bartomeu Coronavirus: Messi never opposed Barca pay cuts – Bartomeu

    Barcelona president Josep Maria Bartomeu said Lionel Messi agreed with pay cuts at the LaLiga champions, after the captain criticised senior club figures behind the scenes.

    Barca confirmed a massive wage cut to help the club during the coronavirus pandemic, with players agreeing to reduce their salaries by 70 per cent and making further financial contributions to ensure all employees are able to take home the full value of their wages.

    The news came following reports of a disagreement between senior Barca players and club directors over the degree of wage reduction, with Messi denying the squad turned down the team's proposal to reduce salaries.

    Bartomeu said Messi never opposed Barca's decision to carry out salary cuts, telling SPORT: "Messi told me from day one that this reduction had to be made.

    "This proposal came from the captains. It is a gesture that demonstrates their commitment to the club."

    Messi issued a statement on behalf of the players on Monday, which was soon shared by other members of the first-team squad, in which he insisted they had always been happy to reduce their pay in order to help the club and its staff during the nationwide lockdown, with LaLiga under indefinite suspension while Spain attempts to arrest the spread of COVID-19.

    The message accused those in charge of Barca of placing the players under unfair levels of scrutiny while negotiations over wage cuts continued.

    Bartomeu added: "Perhaps [the players] have been frustrated by things said by people inside and outside the club, who do not have all the information.

    "But the negotiations were carried out only by Oscar Grau and me and we have not said anything."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.