EPL

Tottenham 1-1 Sheffield United: Brilliant Blades overcome VAR woe to claim point

By Sports Desk November 09, 2019

Sheffield United shrugged off being on the sharp end of more VAR controversy to claim a deserved 1-1 draw at Tottenham.

Son Heung-min, back in action after his three-match ban for the tackle that left Everton midfielder Andre Gomes with a badly broken ankle was overturned, gave Spurs the lead against the run of play following an Enda Stevens error in the 58th minute.

David McGoldrick saw an equaliser ruled out after John Lundstram – who hit the post during the first half – was adjudged to be offside during the build-up.

But Chris Wilder's men impressively retained their composure and George Baldock's 78th-minute cross zipping into the far corner was a touch of fortune they richly deserved.

Tottenham's Paulo Gazzaniga was the busier of the two goalkeepers early on, holding a testing low drive from John Fleck after tipping Oliver Norwood's deflected second-minute strike over.

Harry Kane was unable to turn in Serge Aurier's 15th-minute cross at the near post but it proved a rare moment of encouragement for Spurs during an opening half hour that concluded with Lundstram thumping against the upright left footed.

United resumed on the front foot after half-time, Lys Mousset romping into the box and twisting around Davinson Sanchez before pulling his effort agonisingly wide.

Son was increasingly Spurs' lone outlet and gave visiting keeper Dean Henderson his first significant piece of work, arrowing a shot towards the bottom corner after Dele Alli's raking pass.

A more precise ball into the South Korea star's path led to the opener – only it came inadvertently from United defender Stevens, who gave Son an opportunity he was never likely to pass up.

McGoldrick thought he had an instant response but, after a VAR review lasting almost four minutes, Lundstram was shown to be offside by the barest of margins earlier in the move.

Justice was done as another methodical Blades move got wing-back Baldock in position in the right channel, his sliced delivery evading Eric Dier and Gazzaniga to edge Wilder's men up to fifth in the table.

Related items

  • Bayern Munich talent Johansson departs for Sevilla Bayern Munich talent Johansson departs for Sevilla

    Sevilla have completed the signing of highly rated youngster Ryan Johansson from Bayern Munich.

    Johansson, 18, has signed a six-and-a-half-year contract with the Spanish side and is expected to feature for their second team – Sevilla Atletico – and the senior side before the end of the season.

    A technically gifted midfielder comfortable in the middle and on the right flank, Johansson had been at Bayern since 2017 and was on the fringes of the first-team squad, having been involved in each of their past two pre-season camps.

    But with the path to first-team football at Bayern blocked by a significant amount of talent, Johansson opted to make the move to LaLiga.

    "It is a dream come true. I think Sevilla is the perfect club for me at this point in my career and I hope to play for the first team very soon," he said.

    "It was a very easy decision for me to come here, where I can improve and help the team in the future. I think I can progress at first with the reserves and adapt myself to the club so I can make the first team, hopefully very soon."

    Johansson has represented Luxembourg at youth level, although he is said to be attempting to switch his allegiance to play for the Republic of Ireland, the nation of his England-born mother's parents.

  • Haaland agent hints Dortmund striker could make future Premier League move Haaland agent hints Dortmund striker could make future Premier League move

    Erling Haaland's decision to join Borussia Dortmund does not mean the Premier League will not be his eventual destination, according to his agent.

    Norway international Haaland made a stunning impact on his Dortmund debut on Saturday when he scored a hat-trick in 20 minutes as a substitute in a 5-3 win over Augsburg.

    His choice of the Bundesliga raised eyebrows around Europe, given Italian champions Juventus and English giants Manchester United were also reportedly tracking the 19-year-old.

    But Mino Raiola, Haaland's representative, said the move from Salzburg to Dortmund made sense for the time being.

    "I think it was the right move to go to Germany," said Raiola. "Because if you talk about the Premier League and you see the Premier League as the most important point of the pyramid, you need to be careful when you come here.

    "I think he's also preparing himself for the best. He's so young that he has time to come."

    Speaking to Sky Sports News in London, Raiola refused to say which clubs were rivalling Dortmund for Haaland's signature.

    "He was close to a lot of clubs, which ones I don't tell you," Raiola said.

    Haaland's dramatic entrance to German football signalled a special talent, but Raiola says Dortmund's €20million striker was always destined to achieve great things.

    "I was not surprised. I don't know who was surprised," Raiola said. "It's what he's [been] doing since I met him.

    "He's a boy made for scoring goals and I know he will keep on like this."

  • Mendes casts doubt over Fernandes to Manchester United deal Mendes casts doubt over Fernandes to Manchester United deal

    Manchester United's plans to sign Sporting CP midfielder Bruno Fernandes could be in jeopardy after high-profile agent Jorge Mendes said other clubs have been in talks with the Portuguese club over a possible transfer.

    Fernandes is reportedly close to signing a £50m (€58.6m) deal to join the Red Devils but Mendes said Old Trafford is not the 25-year-old playmaker's only option.

    After scoring eight goals in 16 Primeira Liga appearances this season, Portugal international Fernandes is in demand across Europe and Mendes, who does not directly represent the player, heaped pressure on United with his comments to Sky Sports.

    "If he doesn't leave now, he will leave for sure in the summer because Sporting have already spoken with other clubs," said Mendes.

    Fernandes played in Sporting's 2-1 Taca da Liga defeat to Sporting Braga on Tuesday and his most recent goals for the club came when he scored a brace in a 3-1 Primeira Liga victory at Vitoria Setubal earlier in January.

    United boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has struggled to find adequate cover for injured midfielder Paul Pogba this season and the capture of Fernandes would strengthen the Premier League club's hopes of a finish inside the top five.

    Mendes added that a deal will not necessarily be completed before the end of the January transfer window, saying: "Something will happen but I am not sure if now or at the end of the season."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.