Rogic, Boyle return as Socceroos include uncapped Dougall

By Sports Desk November 07, 2019

Kenneth Dougall could make his Socceroos debut later this month as Tom Rogic and Martin Boyle were also named in a 24-man Australia squad for a World Cup qualifier against Jordan.

Barnsley midfielder Dougall, 26, is the only uncapped player in the squad for the clash in Amman on Thursday.

Meanwhile, Celtic playmaker Rogic and Hibernian attacker Boyle – who is back from a knee injury – are also part of the squad.

Australia head coach Graham Arnold has opted for a slightly extended squad due to star attacker Mathew Leckie awaiting the birth of his second child.

"There are a few minor injury issues with some players who were part of our successful October window – including Mark Milligan, Jamie Maclaren, and Mustafa Amini – so we felt it was important to select players that physically will hit the ground running in Amman," Arnold said in a statement on Friday.

"Overall, I am delighted with the strength and balance of the squad that we have selected to play Jordan next week.

"We will have three training sessions together before the match, and with competition for places for every starting position I expect I will have to make some tough decisions."

The Socceroos have won their opening three matches to hold a two-point lead over Jordan atop Group B.

Australia: Adam Federici (Stoke City), Andrew Redmayne (Sydney FC), Mathew Ryan (Brighton and Hove Albion); Aziz Behich (Istanbul Basaksehir), Milos Degenek (Red Star Belgrade), Rhyan Grant (Sydney FC), Josh Risdon (Western United), Trent Sainsbury (Maccabi Haifa), Brad Smith (Seattle Sounders), Harry Souttar (Fleetwood Town), Bailey Wright (Bristol City); Kenneth Dougall (Barnsley), Ajdin Hrustic (Groningen), Jackson Irvine (Hull City), James Jeggo (Austria Vienna), Aaron Mooy (Brighton and Hove Albion), Tom Rogic (Celtic); Brandon Borrello (Freiburg), Martin Boyle (Hibernian), Apostolos Giannou (AEK Larnaca), Craig Goodwin (Al-Wehda), Mathew Leckie (Hertha Berlin), Awer Mabil (Midtjylland), Adam Taggart (Suwon Bluewings).

Related items

  • Coronavirus: It's the season spoiled by the pandemic, not the year Liverpool were best – Deeney Coronavirus: It's the season spoiled by the pandemic, not the year Liverpool were best – Deeney

    Watford captain Troy Deeney believes the integrity of the Premier League season is "already gone" and said the coronavirus pandemic has spoiled Liverpool's dominance.

    Liverpool held a 25-point lead atop the Premier League table when the campaign was suspended in March due to COVID-19.

    While the Premier League is bidding to restart its season, Deeney has spoken about his health concerns amid the coronavirus pandemic.

    And the 31-year-old forward feels for Liverpool because their dominant season has been spoiled.

    "I believe that when it comes to the integrity of this season anyway, it's already gone," Deeney told CNN.

    "I feel sorry for Liverpool because no matter how it plays out, they deserve to win the league. They deserve to get the trophy.

    "But no matter how it plays out, even if we play all the games, it's still going to be the year spoiled by the pandemic.

    "It's not going to be that year that Liverpool won the league being the best team and, you know, it's 30 years they haven't won for."

    Liverpool had won 27 of 29 Premier League games this season, with one draw and a loss to Deeney's relegation-threatened Watford, who ended their 'Invincibles' bid.

    But Deeney said the integrity of this Premier League campaign had been ruined.

    "I do feel sorry for Liverpool and their players and Jordan [Henderson, captain], but in terms of integrity, there's no way you could say that this is a viable competition," he said.

    "It's like running a marathon, 20-odd miles, stopping for two months and then sprinting the last bit and going: 'Ah, that was a good time that.'"

  • LaLiga would have ended if Real Madrid were top, says former Barcelona president LaLiga would have ended if Real Madrid were top, says former Barcelona president

    Former Barcelona president Joan Gaspart claimed LaLiga would have been cancelled if Real Madrid were top of the table when the season was suspended.

    The LaLiga campaign is set to get back underway next month, with Barcelona holding a two-point lead over Madrid with 11 games left to play.

    But Gaspart, who was Barca president from 2000 to 2003, said it would have been different if Madrid were leading the league when it was suspended in March due to the coronavirus pandemic.

    "If Madrid had finished as leader before the confinement, LaLiga would have ended," he told Tertulia del 10 del Barca, via AS, on Wednesday.

    While Barcelona will aim to clinch the LaLiga title, they continue to be linked with former star Neymar, who could return to the club from Paris Saint-Germain.

    Gaspart hopes the Brazil international ends up back at Camp Nou, where he left in 2017 for a world-record €222million.

    "I would love to see Neymar at Barca. I understand that he can still contribute," he said.

    "What I don't know is the fine print. I forgive what it takes to get him back. I would like him to play for Barca."

  • Barcelona told Lautaro Martinez will not leave Inter unless release clause is met Barcelona told Lautaro Martinez will not leave Inter unless release clause is met

    Inter sporting director Piero Ausilio says Lautaro Martinez will not be sold to Barcelona unless the LaLiga club pay his release clause.

    Argentina striker Martinez has long been linked with a move to Camp Nou as a potential long-term replacement for Luis Suarez, but striking a deal appears to be complex.

    Barca were struggling to free up significant transfer funds before the coronavirus crisis and are said to be prepared to sell a host of squad players and offer others in part-exchange deals in a bid to land their top targets.

    Arturo Vidal, Nelson Semedo, Samuel Umtiti and Ivan Rakitic have all been touted as possible makeweights in any deal for the former Racing forward.

    Inter, though, have made it clear that any club interested in Martinez will have to pay the full amount of his reported €111million buyout clause, which is said to contain certain clauses including the fact that it must be paid in a single instalment.

    Ausilio told Sky Sport: "Lautaro Martinez is not for sale. Barcelona contacted us, we have a good relationship, but we told them we'll not sell Lautaro.

    "If they want him, Barca must pay the full release clause.

    "We want Lautaro in our team in the future. He will not be sold; the release clause is the only way. Barca know this as do the other clubs who contacted us. And Lautaro's release clause is so complicated..."

    Chelsea and Manchester United have also been linked with the 22-year-old, who has scored 11 goals in 22 Serie A appearances this season as part of a formidable Inter attack alongside Romelu Lukaku.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.