Valencia mess deepens as general director Alemany leaves

By Sports Desk November 07, 2019

Valencia have confirmed general director Mateu Alemany is to leave the club following a meeting with club owner Peter Lim in Singapore.

Alemany and the club agreed to terminate his contract last week and he has now said goodbye to Lim ahead of his formal departure.

"Valencia wish to publicly express gratitude to Mateu Alemany for his enormous dedication, effort and achievements throughout his time at the entity, and wish him all the best in his professional career," the club said in a statement.

While the news has not come as a surprise, it raises further questions of Lim's management of Valencia after a turbulent few months.

Marcelino's two-year reign as head coach was controversially ended by Lim in September, with the tactician claiming he was sacked for winning the Copa del Rey last season instead of focusing on securing a top-four finish, which they also achieved.

Several Valencia players were outraged at the decision and the squad refused to take part in post-match media duties after the 5-2 defeat by Barcelona in new coach Albert Celades' first game in charge.

Alemany was reported to have been Marcelino's main backer among the club's hierarchy, having hired him in 2017 and then supported him when under pressure last season.

The decision to dismiss Marcelino appeared to leave Alemany's position looking untenable, particularly given suggestions in local media that he was not consulted about the hiring of Celades.

Valencia, who have won only four of 12 LaLiga matches this season, sit 13th in the table.

Related items

  • Coronavirus: 'Impossible' for fans to attend when LaLiga resumes, says CSD chief Coronavirus: 'Impossible' for fans to attend when LaLiga resumes, says CSD chief

    Irene Lozano, the president of Spain's National Sports Council (CSD), insisted it was "impossible" to have fans back in stadiums when LaLiga resumes this month.

    The LaLiga season will restart on June 11 and Miguel Angel Ramirez, the president of Segunda Division club Las Palmas, said supporters would be able to attend his side's home matches beginning that weekend.

    However, Lozano said it was impossible to have fans return so soon amid the coronavirus pandemic.

    "It is impossible. The integrity of the competition must be respected," she told Cadena SER, via AS, on Tuesday.

    "There are many considerations in this regard, but the most essential is sports. Respect the integrity of the competition.

    "Since LaLiga is a national competition and we have all tried so very hard that the training sessions were matched, I'm a bit surprised that after the effort we have made to match what was out of step, now suddenly in the last 100 metres we come to unbalance."

    Barcelona hold a two-point lead over Real Madrid at the top with 11 games left, and the latter will not play at the Santiago Bernabeu when they get back underway.

    Lozano, who kept open the possibility of fans attending this season, said LaLiga needed to stay responsible amid COVID-19, which has killed more than 381,000 people worldwide.

    "If you compare yourself to other places, the Bundesliga, where people have not entered, it is time to be patient, it is time to be responsible," she said.

    "They cannot enter or congregate in the immediate vicinity. And if it happens, who is responsible for that?

    "Until all the forecasts are in the same phase of de-escalation, it is impossible for there to be football with the public."

  • Corey Burke hat trick propels St. Polten to 5-0 thrashing of WST Tirol in Austria Corey Burke hat trick propels St. Polten to 5-0 thrashing of WST Tirol in Austria

    Jamaica’s Corey Burke scored a hat trick to lead St Polten to a 5-0 victory over WST Tirol as action resumed in the Austrian Bundesliga on Tuesday.

  • FIFA president Infantino: Sancho and Bundesliga protesters 'deserve applause, not punishment' FIFA president Infantino: Sancho and Bundesliga protesters 'deserve applause, not punishment'

    FIFA president Gianni Infantino says Bundesliga players who showed solidarity with George Floyd over the weekend would deserve "applause, not punishment" in an international tournament.

    Football's governing body has urged national associations to adopt a common-sense approach when dealing with on-pitch protests and demonstrations amid the civil unrest in the United States.

    Borussia Dortmund duo Jadon Sancho and Achraf Hakimi displayed 'Justice for George Floyd' messages when celebrating goals during a Bundesliga victory over Paderborn on Sunday. Schalke's Weston McKennie sported an armband with the same message and Borussia Monchengladbach attacker Marcus Thuram took a knee after scoring against Union Berlin.

    Those incidents came after Floyd died in police custody in Minneapolis last week, sparking demonstrations and riots in the USA and beyond.

    Sancho was booked for removing his shirt, while Hakimi, McKennie and Thuram received no on-field punishment in relation to their tributes. However, the German Football Association (DFB) said it would examine the incidents to see whether sanctions were necessary.

    FIFA says competition organisers must "have in consideration the context surrounding the events" before deciding to punish any such on-field incidents going forward.

    Infantino went further later on Tuesday by suggesting it would go against FIFA's anti-discrimination and anti-violence campaigns to take action against the likes of Sancho.

    "For the avoidance of doubt, in a FIFA competition the recent demonstrations of players in Bundesliga matches would deserve an applause and not a punishment," he said in a statement.

    "We all must say no to racism and any form of discrimination. We all must say no to violence. Any form of violence."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.