Simeone talks up Correa threat as Atletico Madrid boss tries to solve goalscoring woes

By Sports Desk November 05, 2019

Diego Simeone has hailed Angel Correa as a distinctive attacking threat as he looks to improve Atletico Madrid's misfiring forward line.

Atletico look to be close to their best from a defensive perspective this season, having only conceded three goals in all competitions since the 2-2 Champions League draw with Juventus on September 18.

Simeone's attack has looked rather insipid in 2019-20, though: Atleti have scored more than twice in a match on just one occasion this term and have managed 10 goals in their past 10 games in all competitions.

Correa has not scored in any of his 11 appearances this term, but Simeone believes the 24-year-old could be the key to unlocking deep-lying defences and giving the likes of Diego Costa and Alvaro Morata more opportunities.

"He feels more comfortable as a striker, but when he plays on the wing, he is also very dangerous," Simeone said ahead of his side's trip to Bayer Leverkusen on Wednesday.

"When he's in a great moment, the team grows in such a way as there are few players like him."

Simeone believes luck has not been on Atleti's side this season, but he insists it is important to give his players confidence as they look for a win on Wednesday that will put them into the Champions League last 16 if Lokomotiv Moscow lose to Juventus.

"We've had chances in all our matches," he said. "Against Getafe, for example, we missed a penalty at 1-0; against Leganes, we had a handball against Morata; against Valencia, a handball against [Santiago] Arias; in Sevilla, it was Costa first and then Morata.

"When we improve and we maintain the bases at the structure of the team, I'm sure will improve this area.

"We try, according to what the players have done on the pitch, to transmit confidence and security to them, all the players.

"Until the very end, you have to look for every formula to help them. That's what we're doing."

Related items

  • Goretzka relishing Messi challenge after Ronaldo tests Goretzka relishing Messi challenge after Ronaldo tests

    Bayern Munich midfielder Leon Goretzka is looking forward to the challenge of taking on Barcelona superstar Lionel Messi after going up against Cristiano Ronaldo.

    When he was at Schalke, Goretzka twice faced Ronaldo's Real Madrid, losing 6-1 in February 2014 and winning 4-3 at the Santiago Bernabeu a year later – with both matches part of Champions League last-16 exits for the Bundesliga side.

    The imposing midfielder will get his first chance to take on Messi in a professional match when Bayern play Barca in the Champions League quarter-finals in Lisbon on Friday.

    However, Goretzka knows it will take a team effort to contain Messi, who was pivotal in getting Barca past Napoli in the last-16 second leg last week.

    "After having played Cristiano Ronaldo several times, it's nice to be able to play against another leading footballer of our decade," said Goretzka.

    "The only way it works [stopping Messi] is collectively. Everyone knows just how gifted he is, he is capable of finding many solutions also in tight situations.

    "We will have to fight back as a team. If one player can actually take away his fun in the game, I don't know. We just have to fight back as a team and try to play our game."

    Goretzka left Schalke for Bayern on a free transfer in 2018 despite interest from Barcelona, and he feels resisting the lure of Camp Nou was the correct decision.

    "Back then I deliberately took a long time. I had a few options to stay with Schalke. I listened to everything and made a conscious decision in favour of Bayern. I have never regretted making this decision," he said.

    The suspension of major football during the coronavirus pandemic means the quarter-finals and semi-finals of the Champions League will be played as single games rather than over two legs, with UEFA squeezing in the closing stages of the tournament ahead of the start of the 2020-21 season.

    Goretzka believes Bayer Leverkusen's Europa League exit at the hands of Inter on Monday was a reminder of how that change has altered the dynamics of European competition.

    "This is a knockout game. The right mental mix is always required. Yesterday the Leverkusen game annoyed me because they actually played a good game but were eliminated because of 20 minutes. I had the feeling that they would have progressed over two legs," he said.

    "I think we can beat any opponent. Nevertheless, we know that a very good team is waiting for us with world-class players. But we will play with our chests puffed out, like we have over the past nine months. We are already in a positive mood."

  • Immobile excited by David Silva's Lazio move, claims Newcastle interest Immobile excited by David Silva's Lazio move, claims Newcastle interest

    Ciro Immobile is ready to welcome David Silva to Lazio with open arms and revealed an approach from Newcastle United, who he claimed wanted to hire Massimiliano Allegri or Luciano Spalletti. 

    Manchester City great Silva is to depart the Premier League club after a 10-year association upon the completion of their Champions League campaign, which continues with a quarter-final tie against Lyon on Saturday. 

    Reports in Italy suggest the Spanish playmaker's move to Rome is practically done, with Lazio offering him a three-year contract to move to Serie A. 

    Lazio striker Immobile is excited at the prospect of linking up with the 2010 World Cup winner.  

    "He's a great player and has great experience, we are waiting for him with open arms," Immobile said in an extensive interview with Corriere dello Sport. 

    "I can't wait for him to arrive, we are Lazio fans before Lazio players." 

    Immobile is coming off a sublime individual campaign in which his 36 Serie A goals matched the competition record set by Gonzalo Higuain, who achieved the feat in the 2015-16 campaign. 

    The Italy striker says he is now ready to finish his career at Lazio amid the possibility of a contract extension at the club. 

    "I'm waiting for them to call me. I intend to tie myself to Lazio forever. What Lazio has given me and is giving me is priceless," Immobile added. 

    "The renewal will be three years, so the contract will expire in 2025, when I turn 35." 

    While Immobile has no plans to depart, he revealed there was interest in taking him to Newcastle amid a potential takeover at the Premier League club. 

    The Magpies were the subject of a proposed £300million purchase, led by the Saudi Arabia Public Investment Fund, but the bid was withdrawn due to what was described by the potential new owners as “an unforeseen prolonged process”. 

    Immobile also stated Newcastle wanted to bring in an Italian coach, with ex-Juve boss Allegri among consideration. 

    "During the period in which there was talk of the possible acquisition of Newcastle by a sheikh fund, they called my agent Alessandro Moggi," Immobile said.  

    "Then the Premier did not pass the proposal, the fund was withdrawn. I know they were also looking for an Italian coach, Allegri or Spalletti."

  • He looked a £100m player - Hargreaves hails 'Ferrari' Martial He looked a £100m player - Hargreaves hails 'Ferrari' Martial

    Anthony Martial looked a "£100million player" and was labelled a "Ferrari" by Owen Hargreaves after Manchester United's Europa League win over Copenhagen. 

    France forward Martial won the penalty from which Bruno Fernandes scored to send United to the semi-finals via a 1-0 extra-time win in Cologne on Monday. 

    The Red Devils had 14 shots on target and hit the woodwork twice in the quarter-final tie, with Martial impressing while leading the line. 

    His performance drew praise from manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, who said: "He was sharp. 

    "Anthony has developed throughout the season, he was involved with the penalty. 

    "He's impossible to stop at times when he gets the ball into his feet and he drives at people, his balance, he can go either way.  

    "The only thing now is to put that ball in the back of the net again. I'm delighted with his performance, though." 

    Former United midfielder Hargreaves was equally effusive of his praise when commenting on Martial's fine performance for his role as a pundit for BT Sport. 

    "Everyone's got an opinion on Martial. He's a Ferrari," he said.  

    "He just looked like a £100million player." 

    Ex-United forward Robin van Persie was also impressed by what he saw and described Martial as "world class". 

    "The outstanding player for me tonight was Martial," Van Persie said. "When he switches it on, he's just too fast, too silky and wow, what a player. 

    "He is such a joy to watch. It's like he's having a kick-about in his own garden. 

    "What I like about Martial is he has an eye for his team-mates – he isn't just playing for himself. He always has an eye for his team-mates and that's what sets him apart from very good players.  

    "That's why I think he's world-class. He can provide, he can give assists, he dribbles, he's fast but he has great awareness of what's around him." 

    United legend Paul Scholes joined in the praise of Martial, who he feels is developing into a quality centre-forward. 

    "I like him, I've always liked him," Scholes said. "I thought is he a number nine or is he a wide player? He's turned himself into a number nine with every game I watch more and more. 

    "I think when he squares a player up and gets a run at him, I think he's unstoppable. I don't see how you stop him. He's only started showing it lately. 

    "He's got everything, he can beat a man, he can score goals, he's got everything you'd want in a centre forward."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.