EFL

Leeds United goalkeeper Casilla denies FA racial abuse charge

By Sports Desk November 04, 2019

Leeds United goalkeeper Kiko Casilla has denied a Football Association (FA) charge of racial abuse towards a Charlton Athletic player.

The FA launched an investigation following an incident involving Charlton forward Jonathan Leko during the game between the two Championship clubs at The Valley on September 28.

Casilla has now been charged with a breach of FA Rule E3, with the governing body giving the Spaniard until November 12 to provide a response.

"It is alleged that, contrary to Rule E3(1), the Leeds United goalkeeper used abusive and/or insulting words towards a Charlton Athletic player during an EFL Championship fixture on 28 September 2019," a statement from the FA read.

"It is further alleged that the words constitute an "Aggravated Breach", which is defined in Rule E3(2), as they made reference to race and/or colour and/or ethnic origin."

Leeds followed the announcement by releasing a short statement of their own, confirming Casilla denies the allegation and will continue to be considered for selection while he awaits a personal hearing.

"Kiko strenuously denies the allegation and has proactively worked with the FA during their investigation to date," the Yorkshire club said.

"The next step of this process will be a personal hearing, in the meantime Kiko will remain available for selection."

Related items

  • Matic hopes happy Pogba will stay at Man Utd 'for a long time' Matic hopes happy Pogba will stay at Man Utd 'for a long time'

    Nemanja Matic is optimistic Paul Pogba will remain with Manchester United "for a long time".

    The Serbian has formed an impressive midfield trio with Pogba and Bruno Fernandes since the Premier League's resumption, helping United extend their unbeaten run to 18 matches in all competitions.

    Pogba's future at United has long been the subject of intense speculation, with comments from his agent Mino Raiola causing controversy earlier in a 2019-20 season where he struggled with injury.

    But the financial impact of the coronavirus pandemic and the club's upturn in form since the World Cup winner returned to the pitch to join new signing Fernandes have led to increased hopes he will stay.

    Manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has expressed confidence that Pogba – who is contracted until 2021 with the option for a further year – would sign a new deal and Matic thinks his team-mate is enjoying life at the club.

    "I think at the moment he is happy," Matic, who himself signed fresh terms with United this month, said to Stats Perform News.

    "When you are injured and outside of the pitch people will always talk and rumours will always be around him, but he can do anything. 

    "As soon as he came back to training with us and playing I think he has shown that he is happy to play football and he is a great guy. 

    "I think for me it is very important that Paul stays because that gives us more quality. Also, with his personality, he brings a lot to the team. 

    "Of course, you never know what is going to happen in life but I see him happy at the moment.

    "I wish for him to stay, I wish for the team. It is good he is a great guy for the group there is always fun around him. I will be happy to see him for a long time at Manchester United."

    Pogba said this week United felt like "a proper team" again and he does not think they can be stopped if they continue on their current path.

    He also praised the balance of the starting XI under Solskjaer and Matic feels the arrival of Fernandes is what has helped get the best out of Pogba.

    Matic added: "With him and Bruno, I think that Paul can now, in my opinion, do what is his job.

    "He is the player and kind of midfielder that can play box to box, he is not only an attacking midfielder like people were thinking. 

    "He is a box to box player because he is strong, he can run, he can shoot, he can also defend very well, he can read the headers. 

    "So now with Bruno, Juan Mata, Jesse Lingard, when they play in front of him, then in my opinion he can do the best.

    "He is a player for everything, so I don't think he is a typical playmaker to be behind the strikers, but that player like a number eight, box to box.

    "For me he is one of the best players in the world. So, I expect him next season to be even better, but what we saw in the few games of him [after the restart] he was absolutely fantastic, a proper player."

  • Zidane: Hazard situation is complicated Zidane: Hazard situation is complicated

    Zinedine Zidane has described Eden Hazard's predicament at Real Madrid as complicated after leaving the Belgium international as an unused substitute during Monday's 2-1 win at Granada.

    Early goals from Ferland Mendy and Karim Benzema set up a victory that moved Madrid to within touching distance of LaLiga glory.

    Hazard arrived from Chelsea for €100m before the start of the campaign but injury struggles – most notably a broken ankle – have seen him play a minimal part this term.

    The 29-year-old has been restricted to 15 league appearances and has only featured for eight minutes since back-to-back starts against Real Mallorca and Espanyol at the end of last month.

    After a ninth consecutive victory, Zidane told reporters Hazard's fitness was still not up to scratch.

    "A player has to be in very, very, very good shape to play and he's not fully okay," he said.

    "The situation is a little bit complicated, but I hope that he can be 100 per cent fit on Thursday and help the team. That's what he wants."

    Madrid host Villarreal on Thursday, knowing victory for themselves or anything less than three points for Barcelona will see them crowned champions.

  • Rumour Has It: Barca remain keen on Lautaro Martinez, Chelsea eye Atletico's Oblak Rumour Has It: Barca remain keen on Lautaro Martinez, Chelsea eye Atletico's Oblak

    For most of the year, Lautaro Martinez has been tipped to leave Inter for Barcelona.

    Barca are eyeing a long-term replacement for veteran forward Luis Suarez, though, the coronavirus pandemic appears to have impacted their transfer plans.

    However, a blockbuster move could still be on the cards.

     

    TOP STORY – BARCA STILL WANT TO SIGN LAUTARO

    Barcelona remain keen on signing Inter star Lautaro Martinez at the end of the season, according to the front page of Tuesday's Mundo Deportivo.

    Barca's interest in Martinez is well documented but a transfer has been put on hold as the LaLiga giants re-assess their plans after the Argentina forward's €111million release clause expired at the start of the month.

    However, Barca head coach Quique Setien is reportedly considering three options in his pursuit to recruit Martinez.

    Ousmane Dembele could be sold to raise funds or a swap deal involving Arturo Vidal, Ivan Rakitic and Samuel Umtiti could be proposed to Inter, while a player plus cash offer including Junior Firpo is the third alternative.

     

    ROUND-UP

    - The Mirror says Chelsea are ready to swap goalkeepers. Unhappy with the world's most expensive keeper Kepa Arrizabalaga, Chelsea are ready to use the Spaniard as a makeweight in a deal to sign Atletico Madrid star Jan Oblak.

    Paris Saint-Germain are eyeing in-demand Salzburg sensation Dominik Szoboszlai, reports Tuttosport. The Hungary teenager has been heavily linked to Milan and Napoli, as well as Arsenal.

    Ajax are hopeful of keeping star goalkeeper Andre Onana for one more season, claims De Telegraaf. Onana has been linked to the likes of Chelsea, Manchester United and Barca.

    - Journalist Nicolo Schira reports Napoli are confident of reaching an agreement with Lille forward Victor Osimhen. The Nigerian has been tipped to join the Serie A side, who have prepared a five-year contract worth €3.5m per season amid talk of an €80m transfer.

    - While Osimhen could arrive, Napoli are set to lose Arkadiusz Milik. Calciomercato claims Italian champions Juventus are interested, while the likes of Atletico, Tottenham and Roma are also keen. Arsenal's Alexandre Lacazette is an alternative for Juve, as well as Atletico.

    - According to Calciomercato, Edinson Cavani has turned down a move to David Beckham's Inter Miami in MLS. A free agent since leaving PSG, Cavani is reportedly wanted by Roma.

    Everton and PSG both want to sign Napoli midfielder Allan, says Calciomercato. Napoli are looking to raise funds.

    Manchester City will accelerate their rebuilding plans after having their Champions League ban overturned, claims the Telegraph. Napoli defender Kalidou Koulibaly – also linked to United, Liverpool and Real Madrid previously – is reportedly high on the list of targets, which includes Leicester City full-back Ben Chilwell, Aston Villa captain Jack Grealish and Atletico star Saul Niguez.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.