Mourinho always asked about Bayern Munich, reveals Schweinsteiger

By Sports Desk November 04, 2019

Bastian Schweinsteiger says Jose Mourinho "was always asking about Bayern Munich" at Manchester United, as speculation grows the Portuguese could take over the reins at the Bundesliga champions.

Bayern parted ways with coach Niko Kovac on Sunday after a 5-1 loss at Eintracht Frankfurt a day earlier left them fourth in the Bundesliga table.

Pressure had been growing on Kovac all season despite his leading Bayern to the Bundesliga title and a DFB-Pokal triumph in his first year in charge.

Meanwhile, Mourinho has been out of a coaching job since being sacked by United in December 2018, with the 56-year-old considered to be among the frontrunners to replace Kovac.

Schweinsteiger played for Bayern between 2002 and 2015 before moving to United, where he played under Mourinho in the 2016-17 season.

He says Mourinho showed a keen interest in Bayern and the Bundesliga, as well as learning the German language in his downtime.

"I can imagine Mourinho in Germany," he told Bild. "I remember he was always asking me about Bayern and the Bundesliga. During our away games, there was always Bundesliga on TV.

"He really knew every single player, even from the smaller teams. He was also learning German.

"He has not worked in the Bundesliga, so I can well imagine that he would be tempted by a commitment in Germany."

Kovac's assistant Hans Flick will oversee Bayern's preparations for their Champions League clash with Olympiacos on Wednesday and Saturday's Der Klassiker against Borussia Dortmund.

Related items

  • Man Utd boss Solskjaer upbeat despite missed opportunity in Champions League race Man Utd boss Solskjaer upbeat despite missed opportunity in Champions League race

    Manchester United manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer remains upbeat about his team's top-four chances as he defended their mentality after Monday's last-gasp 2-2 Premier League draw with Southampton.

    In-form United missed the chance to go third in the table after conceding a 96th-minute equaliser to substitute Michael Obafemi and Southampton at Old Trafford.

    After rivals Chelsea and Leicester City both lost over the weekend, United had a golden opportunity to boost their Champions League qualification hopes on matchday 35.

    Having fallen behind to a Stuart Armstrong strike, United looked on track to leapfrog Leicester and Chelsea thanks to quick-fire goals from Marcus Rashford and Anthony Martial prior to half-time.

    But United were unable to hold on against a tenacious Southampton side, who restored parity in the sixth minute of additional time following a head injury to substitute Brandon Williams, which left the Red Devils down to 10 men.

    Solskjaer, however, defended his United team after they ended the match level on points with fourth-placed Leicester and one adrift of Chelsea in third.

    "Absolutely not," Solskjaer told reporters when asked if United have a mental block, having failed to capitalise on Chelsea's slip-up. "I don't think any of our players have though, 'Oh what have Chelsea done this weekend'. Not at all.

    "It's just the way the games go and we all play against the same teams and we've all got 38 games to get through and it'll even itself out over the long season. You deserve the position you get in the end."

    Solskjaer, whose United extended their unbeaten run to 18 matches across all competitions, added: "I have to say the mentality of the boys has been brilliant. We've had a few setbacks over the season, of course. This is another challenge for us.

    "I'm very confident in the mentality of them, very disappointed of course. But you have to take the disappointment as well as the positives when you win games. It's disappointing when you concede with the last kick of the ball, lose two points.

    "It's just part of football and we've learned a hard lesson today hopefully. We'll make it right, we'll put it right. I trust the boys in that respect."

    Solskjaer is also hoping for "good news" after full-back Luke Shaw was forced off with an ankle injury in the 75th minute – replaced by Williams.

    United are next in action on Thursday as they travel to Crystal Palace.

  • Conte won't 'hesitate' to leave if Inter aren't happy amid speculation Conte won't 'hesitate' to leave if Inter aren't happy amid speculation

    Inter head coach Antonio Conte said he will not "hesitate" to leave if the club are unhappy, though the Italian remains committed to the Nerazzurri project amid question marks over his future.

    Conte joined Inter at the start of the season but there have been reports the former Chelsea and Juventus boss could leave at the end of the 2019-20 campaign.

    Doubts have emerged amid Inter's struggles and Conte's frustrations, with the team failing to fire since the Serie A returned last month after the season was halted in March due to the coronavirus pandemic.

    Inter leapfrogged Lazio into second position in the table, eight points behind leaders Juve with six games remaining, following Monday's rallying 3-1 win at home to Torino and Conte was asked about his future.

    "I was called to Inter for a three-year project, to bring them back where they deserve to be," Conte told Sky Sport Italia. "Inevitably, that takes time. I came here with so much enthusiasm. I have faith.

    "I started a three-year project and [my contract] lasts three years. After that, if they want to extend my contract... I'm happy, I know there's a long way to go, but I don't want to overstay my welcome.

    "If everyone's happy with the job I'm doing, and I think that's the case right now, from what I've been told, then I don't see why we shouldn't go on.

    "If they're not happy with the job I'm doing then I won't hesitate to step aside."

    Inter have seen their Scudetto bid derailed following a home defeat to Bologna and a draw with Hellas Verona, and they fell behind in the 17th minute on Monday.

    Andrea Belotti was gifted the opener after Inter goalkeeper Samir Handanovic fumbled a corner at the Torino star's feet at San Siro – heaping further misery on Conte and his stuttering side. 

    But Inter – without Romelu Lukaku – rallied in the second half thanks to goals from Ashley Young, Diego Godin and Lautaro Martinez, who ended his five-game scoreless drought. 

    Conte added: "I honestly think we started the game very well. Then there was this corner kick. It was a period where there was an incident and we conceded a goal.

    "I find it sensational that Samir messed up: he hardly makes mistakes. Overall, I think it was a game we dominated.

    "The goal could've made us nervous and caused us problems, but we did well to score our goals.

    "We're much less predictable than we were before as now we attack with more men. The result must crown the effort we put in and when it doesn't, it disappoints me.

    "We've been punished excessively by certain incidents, but we're on the right track: playing attacking football and overloading our opponents' box."

  • Klopp answers Akinfenwa's WhatsApp request as Liverpool boss congratulates Wycombe Klopp answers Akinfenwa's WhatsApp request as Liverpool boss congratulates Wycombe

    Adebayo Akinfenwa said he was only open to talking to Jurgen Klopp after Wycombe Wanderers secured promotion to the Championship and the Liverpool manager responded.

    Wycombe reached the Championship for the first time in their 133-year history thanks to Monday's 2-1 League One play-off victory over Oxford United at Wembley.

    Joe Jacobson's penalty with 11 minutes remaining stunned Oxford and sent Wycombe up to England's second tier against the odds.

    Wycombe cult hero and Liverpool fan Akinfenwa – out of contract at the end of the season – revelled in the achievement, telling Sky Sports in a memorable post-game interview: "Look, look, let me calm down. First and foremost, I want to thank God, because today he made the impossible possible. Four years ago I stood in front of you and I was technically unemployed.

    "Let me tell you something, the only person that can hit me up on WhatsApp this time is Klopp, so we can celebrate together. You get me? Oi!

    "I hope my story shows that the only opinion that matters is the opinion you have about yourself. I was lucky and blessed to find a manager and players who believed in me, so we are here today, and I'll say it for the people in the back: Wycombe's in the Championship.

    "Wait, wait, I'll say it one more time: Wycombe is in the Champio- Wait! The people in the back didn't hear me! Wycombe is in the Championship!"

    Premier League-winning manager Klopp heard the 38-year-old striker's request and answered.

    In a video message sent to Akinfenwa, Klopp said: "Hello big man, congratulations!

    "Watched the game, well I didn't see the post-match interviews but Hendo [Jordan Henderson] or one of my players told me that you want to get, what did you think to say? If you could get in contact with me on WhatsApp, here we go!

    "Congratulations. I'm pretty sure your whole life at least a Championship player and now finally, you are there. Well done.

    "Great, great victory. Even in strange times, I hope you celebrate appropriately."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.