Ben Yedder has 'no limits' as Monaco hit their stride in Ligue 1

By Sports Desk October 25, 2019

Wissam Ben Yedder has warned opponents that Monaco are building into their season nicely as they moved into the top half of Ligue 1 for the first time this season with a 1-0 win at Nantes.

The Tunisian striker is the league's top scorer after his ninth goal of the season proved to be the difference in the west of France on Friday night.

It was a fifth consecutive win for Monaco after a winless first six games where they conceded 14 goals, as Leonardo Jardim's men eye improvement after avoiding relegation by two points last season.

Ben Yedder's formidable partnership with Algerian striker Islam Slimani has been one of the reasons for Monaco's upturn and says there are no limits as he strives to get Monaco up the league.

"This is a deserved victory for Monaco but irresistible is a big word," he told reporters.

"I have no limit, I always try and do more and continue to score for the team and for me. I am very satisfied as it's always nice to score.

"We are working and building our game collectively to get good results.

"But the title of top scorer is not the most important thing. Monaco had a hard time last year and early in the season, but we try to come back little by little."

Goalkeeper Benjamin Lecomte said the club are still aiming to make a return to next season's Champions League.

"It's games like this that can revive us," he added.

"Psychologically this victory is very good. We will see if it launches our season, but the podium is the goal of our club."

Related items

  • Rumour Has It: Dortmund unwilling to drop Sancho price, PSG make Milinkovic-Savic offer as Icardi agrees deal Rumour Has It: Dortmund unwilling to drop Sancho price, PSG make Milinkovic-Savic offer as Icardi agrees deal

    Jadon Sancho and a return to England continues to make headlines.

    The England international and former Manchester City youngster is reportedly keen to move back to his homeland.

    But Borussia Dortmund are not willing to make things easy for Sancho's suitors.

     

    TOP STORY – BVB NOT BUDGING ON SANCHO PRICE

    Borussia Dortmund are not prepared to offer discounts on Jadon Sancho amid strong interest from the Premier League, according to Goal.

    Dortmund star Sancho has been linked to Manchester United, Chelsea and Liverpool and the England international remains keen on a move to the Premier League.

    While Sancho reportedly has no intention of renewing his Dortmund contract – which expires in 2022 – the Bundesliga outfit are unwilling to accept anything less than £100million (€110m) amid the coronavirus pandemic.

     

    ROUND-UP

    - Le10Sport claims Paris Saint-Germain have made a €60m offer for Lazio star Sergej Milinkovic-Savic. Lazio, however, are reportedly set to reject the bid.

    - Staying in the French capital and Sky Sport in Italy reports PSG and Inter have reached an agreement over the transfer of Mauro Icardi. The Argentina international forward has spent the 2019-20 season on loan at PSG. The Ligue 1 champions are reportedly set to pay €50m plus €7m in bonuses.

    Arsenal, Chelsea and United are interested in Juventus and Italy international Federico Bernardeschi, claims Gazzetta dello Sport.

    - Sky Sport Italia journalist Gianluca Di Marzio says United are eyeing Monaco forward Pietro Pellegri. The 19-year-old Italian has been plagued by injuries in France.

    Juve want to bring Chelsea forward Pedro to Turin, according to Calciomercato. The Spanish veteran, who is set to become a free agent, worked with Maurizio Sarri during the Italian coach's time at Stamford Bridge.

    - Sport reports Martin Odegaard's future at Real Madrid depends on head coach Zinedine Zidane. Odegaard has flourished during his two-year loan spell at Real Sociedad and whether the Norwegian returns to the Basque Country remains to be seen.

    Arthur remains committed to staying at Barcelona amid Juventus links, Mundo Deportivo says. Juve have been keen on bringing Arthur to the club, with Miralem Pjanic tipped to leave for Barca. However, Arthur is happy at Camp Nou and sees Spanish football more compatible with his style.

  • Coronavirus: French clubs can play July friendlies, LFP confirms Coronavirus: French clubs can play July friendlies, LFP confirms

    French clubs will be allowed to play friendlies in July ahead of the new season, it emerged on Friday.

    The 2019-20 campaign was abandoned in April amid concerns surrounding the coronavirus pandemic, with Paris Saint-Germain declared champions and Amiens and Toulouse relegated.

    Most clubs still had 10 games to play and the decision caused controversy and, in places, uproar.

    Lyon owner Jean-Michel Aulas, whose seventh-placed team missed out on a European place, has yet to back down in his campaign to get the top flight restarted, given those in Germany, Spain, Italy and England have either resumed or will soon be swinging back into action.

    Aulas has also been forcefully pushing the idea that clubs should be allowed to play warm-up games in July, amid his insistence that football can be played in a safe environment.

    Speaking to Le Parisien on Thursday, Aulas suggested Lyon could take part in a mini-tournament involving PSG, Saint-Etienne and Lille, as part of pre-season preparations.

    The Ligue de Football Professionnel (LFP) has now confirmed friendlies can go ahead, announcing that detail within a news release regarding international broadcast rights.

    A meeting of the LFP board - which includes LFP president Nathalie Boy de la Tour, French Football Federation president Noel Le Graet and club officials including PSG's Nasser Al Khelaifi - was held on Friday.

    "During this meeting, the LFP board recalled that the 2020-2021 season will be able to restart as agreed next August with friendly preparation matches in July," an LFP statement read.

    The statement added the LFP was focusing on playing matches next season with "all or part of the crowd under the hygiene conditions which will be defined with the public authorities".

  • T&T Pro League anxiously awaits government go-ahead for resumption - Baptiste T&T Pro League anxiously awaits government go-ahead for resumption - Baptiste

    Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of the Trinidad and Tobago Pro League has revealed its players are eager to get back out on the pitch but paying close attention to the country’s re-opening guidelines.

    With European football leagues set to resume next month, there is yet to be any indication as to when some of the Caribbean’s local leagues can resume play.

    “Contant sports have not been mentioned in any of the phases listed by the government in terms of when people can return to doing normal things.  We are hoping that at least by phase five we would be able to start getting ourselves ready to commence the league,” Baptiste told T&T’s 7pmNews.

    Baptiste revealed that the football governing body has already began putting things in place for a speedy re-opening if and when the government go-ahead of given.

    “I know the clubs are eager to resume training, because the time you start to prepare for actual matchday might be short.  Everyone wants to get into the thick of things,” she added.

    “Football means a lot to the players as it keeps them fit, as well as disciplined. It also allows them to get rid of their frustrations on the field.”

    Things in the 11-team league ground to a halt, due to concerns surrounding the virus in early March.  There were three more matchdays remaining in the 2019-2020 season.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.