Solskjaer backs Manchester United to improve following Martial's return

By Sports Desk October 25, 2019

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is hopeful Manchester United will see an upturn in form for having Anthony Martial back fit and firing.

Martial had been out for almost two months with a thigh strain before returning as a substitute in the Premier League draw against Liverpool last week.

The France forward then started and scored the only goal of the game as United defeated Partizan Belgrade in the Europa League on Thursday.

That was United's first away win in 12 attempts, with a miserable run of form seeing them 14th heading in the league heading into this weekend and a trip to Norwich City.

But Solskjaer believes Martial can influence an extended change in United's fortunes, having been brought off on the hour-mark in Serbia to be fresh in time for Sunday.

"We've not created as many [chances] as we'd have liked and not scored as many as we'd have liked," Solskjaer said.

"Now Anthony is back, he got a goal, and I'm sure we'll see us improve as a team with Anthony in the side. He does give us something different."

He added: "I hope we're going to stop [Norwich] because it's always going to be difficult down at Carrow Road but we're ready for it now. We've got some players back.

"I managed to take Aaron [Wan-Bissaka] and Anthony off after 60 minutes as they were out a long time. Hopefully, it will be a fresh team because we need to be up at our best to have a chance."

United are still missing a number of star men, however, including Paul Pogba, who Solskjaer earlier ruled out of the Norwich match.

"We're working very hard to get them fit and, hopefully, we can get them back soon," he said. "I'm not going to put a deadline on it but it won't be long, hopefully."

Meanwhile, the side's fitness issues have seen United switch to a back three for their past two matches.

Despite being forced into the change, Solskjaer feels the new formation has suited his players well, explaining: "I think injuries have made us get into the position where the performances didn't come and we had fit centre-backs, good centre-backs and quality centre-backs.

"It just made it easier to go to a back three against Liverpool and again in Serbia.

"We've got Jesse [Lingard] back, who can play in a three in midfield, and the players who played for us on Thursday, for example, Sergio [Romero] played in a World Cup final, Marcos Rojo played in a back three in a World Cup final and [Phil Jones] and Harry [Maguire] played in a semi-final. Jesse played in his position.

"It's just injuries that have made us go into this position but it's working quite well."

Related items

  • Salzburg's Europa League tie with Eintracht Frankfurt postponed due to storm threat Salzburg's Europa League tie with Eintracht Frankfurt postponed due to storm threat

    Salzburg's Europa League last-32 second-leg tie with Eintracht Frankfurt has been postponed due to a storm threat.

    The fixture was scheduled to take place at 21:00 CET on Thursday at the Red Bull Arena in Salzburg, with Frankfurt protecting a 4-1 first-leg lead.

    But UEFA confirmed the match will not go ahead.

    "Due to a storm warning, the public authorities in Austria have postponed tonight's UEFA Europa League round of 32 tie between FC Salzburg and Eintracht Frankfurt," read a statement released a matter of hours before kick-off.

    "An announcement will be made by UEFA in due course about the re-arranged date and time for this match to be played."

  • Dortmund's 15-year-old prodigy Moukoko wanted in first team by Favre Dortmund's 15-year-old prodigy Moukoko wanted in first team by Favre

    Youssoufa Moukoko has proven prolific in Borussia Dortmund's youth ranks and head coach Lucien Favre wants to promote the 15-year-old striker to the first team.

    The Dortmund prodigy was selected for duty with Germany Under-19s last week, returning to the international fold after making his U16 bow at the age of 12.

    Moukoko, who turned 15 in November, scored 50 goals and supplied nine assists in 28 appearances as BVB finished as runners-up in the U17 Bundesliga last season and has maintained his stunning form at U19 level.

    He has netted 31 times in 18 league outings and has another four in seven in the UEFA Youth League.

    Ahead of Dortmund's Bundesliga meeting with Freiburg on Saturday, Favre revealed he hopes to have Moukoko involved with the first team before the end of the season.

    "We have a plan with him, but I can't say exactly when he'll be with us," said Favre on Thursday. "Maybe in March, but we still have to wait for a few things."

    Moukoko could make his bow for Germany U19s in a European Championship qualifier against Wales on March 25. They play Austria three days later and Serbia on March 31.

    Nuri Sahin became Dortmund's youngest player at 16 years, 11 months and one day when he made his debut in August 2005.

  • Liverpool announce £42m pre-tax profits despite record £223m spend on players Liverpool announce £42m pre-tax profits despite record £223m spend on players

    Liverpool have announced pre-tax profits of £42million for the financial period ending May 31, 2019, despite a club-record spend on players.

    The club's turnover increased by £78m to £533m thanks to rises in media, commercial and match revenue.

    A new Champions League broadcasting deal and the team's second-place finish in the Premier League under Jurgen Klopp last year also boosted profits.

    Their Champions League triumph in 2018-19 is expected to be included in the next set of financial results.

    The positive figures come despite a club-record £223m spend on the signings of Alisson, Naby Keita, Fabinho and Xherdan Shaqiri, as well as 11 new contracts for established first-team players.

    Liverpool, who became champions of Europe for the sixth time last June, are seventh in the Deloitte Football Money League, a rise of two places from the previous financial year.

    Andy Hughes, Liverpool's chief operating officer, said via the club's website: "This continued strengthening of the underlying financial sustainability of the club is enabling us to make significant investments both in player recruitment and infrastructure.

    "Being able to reinvest over £220m on players during this financial period is a result of a successful business strategy, particularly the significant uplift in commercial revenues.

    "The cost of football, however, does continue to rise in transfers and associated fees but what's critical for us is the consistency of our financial position, enabling us to live within our means and continue to run a sustainable football club."

    The club have also boasted of six million more social media engagements than any other Premier League club during the 2018-19 season, while they say investment in the new training base at Kirkby and further planned expansion of Anfield is testament to the support of owners Fenway Sport Group.

    "What we're seeing is sustained growth across all areas of the club, which is aligned to the recent performance on the pitch," said Hughes. "There is more work to do and, importantly, we will continue our dialogue with all key stakeholders, including local residents, businesses and community groups.

    "These financial results and this sustained period of solid growth is testament to our ownership, Fenway Sport Group, who continue to support the club's ambitions and continue to reinvest revenues both in strengthening the playing squad and the club's infrastructure to build for the future."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.