EPL

Dubravka signs six-year deal with Newcastle United

By Sports Desk October 24, 2019

Martin Dubravka has signed a new six-year deal with Newcastle United, the Premier League side have confirmed.

The 30-year-old joined Newcastle on a permanent deal from Sparta Prague in May 2018 after impressing during an initial loan spell in the second half of the 2017-18 campaign.

Dubravka has been an ever-present in the Premier League since his debut, making 59 top-flight appearances for Newcastle, including nine starts and three clean sheets this term.

European giants Paris Saint-Germain and Juventus had been linked with the Slovakia international, but he subsequently claimed to be "close" to extending his Newcastle contract.

Dubravka has now put pen to paper on a deal that keeps him at St James' Park until 2025 and said: "It is an amazing feeling. 

"I have to say that it feels like time has flown. It's been almost two years and I've found great people here who I can call friends. I've enjoyed my time here and I'm very glad that I can stay here for another six years."

Head coach Steve Bruce added: "I'm really, really pleased that Martin has committed his future to the club.

"He's been absolutely fantastic since the day he arrived and he's a hugely important figure for us both on the pitch and in the dressing room."

Newcastle are 18th in the Premier League after winning just two of their opening nine matches, with Wolves up next at home on Sunday.

Related items

  • De Sciglio, Can out of Juventus squad amid PSG, Dortmund links De Sciglio, Can out of Juventus squad amid PSG, Dortmund links

    Mattia De Sciglio, Emre Can and Marko Pjaca have been left out of the Juventus squad to face Napoli amid links to moves away from Turin.

    Full-back De Sciglio is dealing with a fitness issue but is also a reported target for Paris Saint-Germain in a potential swap deal for Layvin Kurzawa, who is also said to be interesting Arsenal.

    Germany international Can is reportedly an option for Borussia Dortmund in his homeland, meanwhile, having joined Juve on a free transfer from Liverpool 18 months ago.

    And Pjaca is absent following talk of an imminent switch to Cagliari.

    The Bianconeri head to Naples four points clear of second-placed Inter in Serie A, while their Sunday opponents - title challengers in previous campaigns - are struggling in the bottom half.

  • Al Shabab sign Sevilla playmaker Banega Al Shabab sign Sevilla playmaker Banega

    Ever Banega will leave Sevilla to join Al Shabab at the end of the season, the Saudi Arabian side have confirmed.

    Banega, 31, is currently in his second spell at Sevilla, who he initially joined from Valencia in 2014 before leaving for Inter in 2016.

    However, the midfielder spent just one season at San Siro before returning to the Andalusian club, where he remains a regular having started 19 LaLiga matches so far this season

    The Argentine is out of contract in June, though, and Al Shabab have now confirmed Banega has agreed to a three-year deal.

    Six-time Saudi champions Al Shabab finished fifth in the Pro League in 2018-19.

  • Lo Celso giving Tottenham 'easy decision' on permanent transfer, says Mourinho Lo Celso giving Tottenham 'easy decision' on permanent transfer, says Mourinho

    Jose Mourinho says the form of Giovani Lo Celso is giving Tottenham "an easy decision" to sign him on a permanent basis.

    A superb individual run from Lo Celso helped to set up Spurs' goal as Son Heung-min struck in the 1-1 FA Cup fourth-round draw against Southampton on Saturday.

    The 23-year-old also had a goal disallowed and Mourinho is sure he has done enough to earn a permanent place at Spurs, having initially joined on a season-long loan from Real Betis, with an option to buy.

    Mourinho said: "It's not an obligation, it's an option. I think the boy is earning the decision. 

    "He's making an easy decision for the club to execute the option. Incredible evolution since I arrived.

    "Barely played a game [before I arrived], I think he played against Red Star Belgrade and with me it was a little bit difficult to come in the first few weeks.

    "But he understood what we wanted. Good learner, good kid and I think by himself he made the decision that the club is going to execute the option. That's normal, he earned it."

    Son, meanwhile, has netted in back-to-back matches at a time where star striker Harry Kane is out injured.

    Mourinho, whose side will now play an FA Cup replay against Saints, added of Son: "All of the attacking players need this happiness of scoring goals. 

    "In the first half he had one easier than the goal he scored, facing the keeper the angle was good, the shot was good but for inches he missed. 

    "It is a good goal, an important goal, so it is good for him.

    "Playing a replay will affect [our mid-season break] a little bit. There is one more match we have to play. It is not a personal situation, Ralph Hasenhuttl was telling me the same, we don't need one more match. 

    "But I think both me and him prefer to play again than to be out. No drama, let's go."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.