Favre: Everything still possible despite Dortmund defeat

By Sports Desk October 23, 2019

Borussia Dortmund head coach Lucien Favre remains upbeat about his team's qualification chances, despite their loss to Inter in the Champions League.

Dortmund left Milan emptyhanded after going down 2-0 to hosts Inter in Group F action on Wednesday.

Favre's side succumbed to goals from Lautaro Martinez and Antonio Candreva at San Siro, where Inter leapfrogged Dortmund into second position on goal difference.

Inter and Dortmund are level on four points after three matchdays, three points adrift of leaders Barcelona.

Reflecting on the match, Favre – whose position has reportedly come into question amid Jose Mourinho being linked to his job – said: "We played well; in the first half we were very solid, too bad that we conceded that first goal.

"Except for that, it was okay. We didn't have lots of chances but played rather well. We waited patiently and avoided counterattacks. We had a clear chance which we should have done better with.

"We went in at the break a goal down, then had a couple of chances before they made it 2-0. We should have done better with those chances.

"It was our plan to play a compact game and press them in the right moment. We cannot expect to have 10 chances against this team. It is a difficult group, but everything is still possible."

Dortmund are fourth in the Bundesliga and only one point off the pace after their win over leaders Borussia Monchengladbach last week.

However, Favre – who saw Dortmund finish runners-up to Bayern Munich last season after surrendering a lead atop the table – has still been criticised in Germany.

"Some things were missing, we did not get bodies into the box," Dortmund general manager Sebastian Kehl said, in quotes published on UEFA.com. "Nevertheless, we didn't necessarily have to lose 2-0 today.

"The coach had an idea how to change things, it did work out quite well, we did not allow them a lot, but we were asleep for the opener. I don't think the tactical set-up was the problem."

Related items

  • Guardiola has something up his sleeve – Carragher expects City to close gap on Liverpool Guardiola has something up his sleeve – Carragher expects City to close gap on Liverpool

    Manchester City will close the gap on Liverpool in the Premier League next season if they address the centre-back position, according to Jamie Carragher.

    Champions Liverpool face City at the Etihad Stadium on Thursday in their first match since winning a first English title in 30 years.

    Carragher, a Champions League winner with the Reds, thinks City boss Pep Guardiola always has something up his sleeve for matches between the teams.

    And he believes the contest will be the prelude to a closer title battle in the 2020-21 campaign, with Liverpool sitting 23 points ahead of the side they dethroned this time around.

    "It's whether Guardiola comes up with something a little bit different for Liverpool's front three," Carragher said to Sky Sports ahead of the match.

    "He could go with three at the back, or with a more defensive full-back, as he did in this fixture last year when he put [Aymeric] Laporte at left-back.

    "He always seems to have something a little bit different up his sleeve against Liverpool, so I wouldn't be surprised if he did something like that.

    "Can Liverpool control Kevin De Bruyne? And can City's back four cope with Liverpool's front three? I think those are the big questions, really.

    "De Bruyne is, for me, the best player in the Premier League. If Liverpool can stop that man in midfield, that will stop a lot of City.

    "No doubt Liverpool will have to deal with De Bruyne, because if they don't it will make it really difficult for them.

    "City will want to put a marker down and win the game. At their best, they're almost unstoppable, but one of the few teams that can stop them are Liverpool, so it will be brilliant to watch." 

    Discussing next season, Carragher added: "There's 23 points between the teams but I don't see the gap as being that big.

    "There's no doubt that Liverpool have the edge, but I certainly don't think there will be that much next season – I don't think there's too much between the teams. 

    "City are too good a team and Guardiola is too good a manager to have a gap like that between one of his teams and someone else's.

    "I think a lot of it will [come down to] who City recruit. There's no doubt that City will do a lot more in the market than Liverpool will. 

    "If City recruit well, it will bridge that gap that we've seen this season and then it becomes about how Liverpool deal with that.

    "The big problem is how many goals City have conceded compared to Liverpool. That's the big difference. The centre-backs issue was a problem for City all season. 

    "They need to rectify having lost [Vincent] Kompany. If they add in that position, they could certainly bridge the gap and make it really tight next year."

  • Mourinho would not swap Lo Celso for Man Utd star Fernandes at Tottenham Mourinho would not swap Lo Celso for Man Utd star Fernandes at Tottenham

    Tottenham boss Jose Mourinho insists he would not swap Giovani Lo Celso for Manchester United star Bruno Fernandes or any other midfield player.

    Fernandes revealed last year he had agreed to join Spurs but the north London club were unwilling to match Sporting CP's valuation and instead turned to Lo Celso.

    The Portugal international went on to join Tottenham's Premier League rivals United in January and has proved good value for the reported £67million (€80m) spent to sign him.

    He has been directly involved in eight goals in eight league outings, while Lo Celso - whose loan switch from Real Betis was made permanent in January - has yet to register a goal or assist.

    Mourinho says he is not bothered Spurs missed out on Fernandes' signature during Mauricio Pochettino's time in charge, however, as he rates Lo Celso just as highly.

    "I don't know anything about [an agreement], but if that is true, and if Giovani Lo Celso was the player that came to Spurs instead, then I would say I wouldn't change Giovani Lo Celso for any player," he told Sky Sports.

    "[I wouldn't swap Lo Celso] for any player. It's not just for Bruno, but for any player."

    Lo Celso struggled for minutes when Mourinho succeeded Pochettino in November but has since started 11 of Tottenham's last 15 matches in all competitions.

    Mourinho has been pleased with the Argentina international's positive attitude and believes there is still plenty more to come from the £27m (€30m) signing.

    "When I arrived I went in other directions and he did exactly what I love a player to do: 'I'm going to show you'," Mourinho said.

    "[There was] no spoiled kid reactions, no crying, no moaning, no agents and family throwing messages to the press and to the social media. 

    "It was just between him and me: I'm going to show you', and he showed me step-by-step.

    "The way he was working every day, the way he was coming to matches, the way he was changing matches."

    Mourinho added: "I remember the match against Liverpool: he was on the bench, he came on for the last half an hour and he changed the game. 

    "The only thing that didn't happen was us changing the result because we were so unlucky, but he changed the game.

    "When he had his first start: 'Goodbye, I give you no chance and this place is mine'. In this moment, what people can see from him is an injured player playing, or a player that during the week is not working like the others.

    "He's working with lots of different conditions to try to play and to try to resist until the end of the season so what you see from Gio now is not the end product - he's a fantastic player for us."

  • It is not a time to complain - Willian eager to quickly bounce back from West Ham loss It is not a time to complain - Willian eager to quickly bounce back from West Ham loss

    Willian lamented Chelsea's 3-2 loss to West Ham and acknowledged the importance of bouncing back with victory against Watford on Saturday.

    The Brazil forward scored a penalty and a free-kick either side of goals from Tomas Soucek and Michail Antonio in Wednesday's Premier League clash, but it was not enough for Chelsea.

    Andriy Yarmolenko snatched a late winner for West Ham at London Stadium on Wednesday, denying their opponents the chance to overtake Leicester City in third.

    Willian, who is due to become a free agent at the end of the elongated campaign, admitted the defeat - Chelsea's first in seven matches in all competitions - was tough to take.

    "It is very disappointing," he told Chelsea's official website. "The plan was to win the game and we missed a chance to go third. 

    "At least we have a game on Saturday to win at home. It's not a time to complain. We have to win on Saturday.

    "We have to play every game as a final, and fight to get into the Champions League places.

    "We deserve to finish in the top four. Sometimes we have gone up and down, but I think we deserve to be there and we have to keep that position."

    In opening the scoring against West Ham with a 42nd-minute penalty, Willian became the first player in Premier League history to score in every month of the year.

    "I didn't know about that! I'm happy with the goals, but when we've lost it's a bit difficult," he said. 

    "I feel very disappointed. Now it's time to rest well, recover well, and fight for the three points on Saturday."

    Chelsea are two points better off than Manchester United and Wolves in fifth and sixth respectively with six games to go.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.