Salzburg 2-3 Napoli: Mertens gets a double in thriller

By Sports Desk October 23, 2019

Dries Mertens scored a goal in each half as Napoli beat Salzburg 3-2 in an entertaining Champions League encounter to stay on top of Group E.

Mertens – who also scored in Napoli's 2-0 win over Liverpool last month – twice put his side in front on Wednesday, only to see teenage prodigy Erling Haaland level for the hosts on both occasions.

The terrific Mertens then turned provider, setting up substitute Lorenzo Insigne for the 73rd-minute winner, a strike that came swiftly after Haaland got his second.

Haaland thought he had put the hosts in front in the eighth minute with an instinctive left-foot finish, but the celebrations of the home fans were cut short by a VAR-assisted offside decision.

At the other end, Mertens was causing problems and he fired Napoli in front after racing inside the penalty area and thrashing a fierce strike from a tight angle past Salzburg goalkeeper Cican Stankovic.

Salzburg responded well to falling behind, though, the outstanding Haaland forcing two good saves from Napoli's Alex Meret before he also shot wide.

Meret also kept out a terrific Patson Daka effort before Haaland got the goal his first-half performance deserved when Hwang Hee-chan skipped past Kevin Malcuit and was then brought down inside the penalty area by the defender.

The striker coolly slotted away the spot-kick as both sides went to the break level and after a tame beginning to the second half, the match exploded into life when Mertens, left free at the back post, turned a 64th-minute cross in.

Haaland levelled again, scoring a thumping header, but Napoli were not to be denied, Insigne's clever finish settling matters in Austria.

Related items

  • I would have stayed in League Two - Guardiola discusses Man City future I would have stayed in League Two - Guardiola discusses Man City future

    Pep Guardiola believes now is not the time to discuss a new contract at Manchester City – although he insists he would have remained at the club had they been demoted to League Two.

    That was a fairly outlandish consequence the City manager alluded to, in the event of UEFA's two-season ban for Financial Fair Play breaches being upheld.

    But Monday's verdict by the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) to quash that punishment prompted talk of Guardiola being offered fresh terms to run beyond June 2021.

    City still have an FA Cup semi-final against Arsenal and a Champions League showdown with Real Madrid on the horizon, while 2020-21 will represent the first time Guardiola has taken charge of a fifth season with one club.

    As such, speaking ahead of Wednesday's Premier League match against Bournemouth, he would rather focus upon matters on the pitch – free of the burden of looming UEFA sanctions.

    "Nothing has changed my opinion, maybe I will be able to stay here longer," Guardiola said when asked whether he would commit to a contract extension.

    "As a club, as an organisation, the people cannot understand how difficult a time it was for all the club, being under suspicion for something we have not done.

    "Hopefully people can stop talking about this – or they can go to court and prove it like we have done.

    "Now is not the time [to talk about contracts] we have one incredible month ahead of us.

    "I have one more year, for a manager it is a long, long time.

    "The decisions we thought to do before the sentence were quite similar. I was happy before and now. We have time to talk about this.

    "Now is the normal situation like every season, if the situation was uncertain I don't know what would have happened.

    "My personal situation was clear. I said a month ago I would stay and it didn't matter if we were in the Champions League, or like a lot of people here in England suggested, League Two.

    "I would have stayed here. About the future, we have an incredible four or five weeks ahead of us with the games against Arsenal and Madrid."

    Star midfielder Kevin De Bruyne did not express a similar enthusiasm for English football's fourth tier and suggested a two-year European ban would have forced him to consider his City career.

    The 29-year-old's agent, Patrick De Koster, said he welcomed the CAS verdict, although talk of a new deal at the Etihad Stadium for De Bruyne – who is contracted until 2023 in any case – might be premature at this stage

    "After the CAS verdict, we Facetimed for a moment and Kevin was very happy, very satisfied," De Koster told HBVL.

    “If you are banned from the Champions League at that age, you should think again.

    "We'll see. He now has a three-year contract in Manchester, is settled with his family and is feeling good. They have also always been very good with him. Moreover, the number of clubs that can pay him [his salary] is not that big.

    "He sees participation in the Champions League next season mainly as a bonus. But that decision doesn't mean more to him. It is not the case that we will now sign a new contract in Manchester tomorrow."

  • AkinfeYNWA? Klopp invites Wycombe striker to Liverpool trophy parade AkinfeYNWA? Klopp invites Wycombe striker to Liverpool trophy parade

    Wycombe Wanderers striker Adebayo Akinfenwa's televised plea for talks with Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp has proved successful to a certain extent – he has bagged himself an invite to the club's Premier League trophy parade.

    Akinfenwa, a long-time Liverpool fan, was part of the Wycombe side that achieved promotion to the Championship for the first time in their 133-year history thanks to Monday's 2-1 League One play-off final victory over Oxford United.

    A Wycombe cult hero, Akinfenwa's contract is due to expire at the end of the season, but in a memorable post-match interview he on reflected a difficult journey from being "technically unemployed" four years ago to winning promotion to England's second tier.

    In his speech, he said the only person who could "hit me up on WhatsApp this time is Klopp" so they could celebrate their successes together, and the German duly obliged with a congratulatory video message.

    Klopp then went one better on Tuesday, extending Akinfenwa an invitation to the club's Premier League trophy parade, when such an event is allowed to go ahead.

    "When it's possible, in the future one day," Klopp said when asked if the two will meet. "I don't know when exactly, but he is invited for the parade, 100 per cent.

    "I saw, before the video, when he was sitting in the team meeting in a Liverpool kit, which I thought was really funny. I watched the game [and] yes, he responded – he sent a video back. It's private [what he said], at least a few things in life should stay private.

    "It was nice, he was obviously really happy."

  • Muriel to miss Atalanta-Brescia clash after reported swimming pool accident Muriel to miss Atalanta-Brescia clash after reported swimming pool accident

    Luis Muriel will miss Atalanta's Serie A clash with Brescia after reportedly falling on the edge of a swimming pool.

    The forward is said to have hit his head on the side of the pool at a gathering with team-mates, but reports said hospital tests for head trauma came back negative.

    Atalanta confirmed Muriel will be unavailable for Tuesday's game as a result of an accident, but the Colombia international did not suffer any serious injuries and is set to return to training on Wednesday.

    "I'm fine, I'm home. Fortunately, nothing serious happened," Muriel posted on Instagram. 

    "Tonight I will be at the stadium to cheer @atalantabc, and already tomorrow I will return to train with my team-mates. Thank you for the affection you have shown me in these hours."

    A brief Atalanta statement read: "Atalanta BC announces that, following a domestic accident, the player Luis Muriel will not be available for the Atalanta-Brescia match.

    "The player will be available for the training session tomorrow, July 15th."

    Muriel has scored 17 goals in 29 Serie A appearances for Atalanta, who are fourth in the top flight, nine points behind leaders Juventus with six games to go.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.