Batshuayi's winner reward for patience, says elated Chelsea boss Lampard

By Sports Desk October 23, 2019

Frank Lampard believes Michy Batshuayi's match-winning moment in Chelsea's 1-0 triumph at Ajax was just reward for the patience he has shown this season.

The Belgium striker hammered home from fellow substitute Christian Pulisic's assist with four minutes remaining at Johan Cruijff ArenA to snatch a potentially priceless three points in Champions League Group H.

Batshuayi replaced Lampard's first-choice striker Tammy Abraham, who had been mainly subdued, and had already missed a great chance before thumping in Chelsea's winner.

"The fact Christian Pulisic comes on in the last two games and gets two assists, changes games, I thought his performance was outstanding for 25 minutes or whatever it was," Lampard told BT Sport. 

"And Michy, the great thing about the strikers I've got is that, even though Tammy has been scoring for me, the other two stayed patient, worked hard, supported the group and they've got talent.

"So, it was a choice to bring Michy on because of how mobile he can be and he's waited for his moment and he fully deserved his moment there."

Chelsea have now won consecutive away Champions League matches for the first time since 2013 and sit level with Ajax on six points after three matches.

There were a couple of near misses for the Blues, with Quincy Promes having a goal ruled out for a narrow offside call and Edson Alvarez seeing a header hit the post.

"It was our mistake [that led to Ajax's offside goal] and that's why the Champions League is what it is, that's why it's the ultimate because, in a tiny second, if you switch off, it can go against you," Lampard added. 

"But we deserved our luck, I think. I'm a big believer in that, in how you prepare what you're doing with the input out there, you deserve that little break. 

"We haven't had many VAR breaks this season anyway so I suppose it might have been coming, you make your own luck on that one and the one that hits the post. 

"But I thought, for such a creative side that they are, we didn't have Kepa [Arrizabalaga] under many problems and we did have a lot of moments for us in the box where, had we been better, we could have scored more."

Batshuayi was delighted with his strike but was keen for the focus to be on the team effort.

"I think all the team worked hard," he said. "It's good to win, to get three points. I know [I scored the winner] but the important thing is the three points tonight."

Related items

  • 'Sometimes experience is overrated' - Lampard puts faith in Chelsea youngsters 'Sometimes experience is overrated' - Lampard puts faith in Chelsea youngsters

    Frank Lampard believes the "innocence" in his Chelsea ranks can drive the Blues to success - providing World Cup and Premier League winners also step up.

    Lampard's team are in a battle to qualify for next season's Champions League, as they, Manchester United and Leicester City go head to head for two places.

    Wolves have a distant chance of breaking into the top four too, but Lampard's team hold the upper hand of those chasing top-four positions.

    They welcome Norwich City to Stamford Bridge on Tuesday, and head coach Lampard feels young players will be key to his hopes of bringing silverware and success to Chelsea.

    He went so far as to claim experience is sometimes an "overrated" commodity in football.

    "They need to be helped by the players that have been there and done that and won World Cups or won Premier Leagues, like some of the players have in our squad," Lampard told Sky Sports News.

    "In certain times, experience is overrated, in my opinion. It's good to have it within the group but sometimes it doesn't necessarily mean that it's the answer and that gives you success."

    Lampard has had World Cup winners Pedro, N'Golo Kante and Olivier Giroud in his ranks this season, but also bright young talents such as Mason Mount, Christian Pulisic, Tammy Abraham and Fikayo Tomori, with new signings Hakim Ziyech and Timo Werner joining for the 2020-21 campaign.

    The Chelsea boss said: "Sometimes it's a bit of innocence, a bit of youthfulness and a bit of real desire without the feelings of past campaigns and successes and failures that can be something really positive within."

  • I would have stayed in League Two - Guardiola discusses Man City future I would have stayed in League Two - Guardiola discusses Man City future

    Pep Guardiola believes now is not the time to discuss a new contract at Manchester City – although he insists he would have remained at the club had they been demoted to League Two.

    That was a fairly outlandish consequence the City manager alluded to, in the event of UEFA's two-season ban for Financial Fair Play breaches being upheld.

    But Monday's verdict by the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) to quash that punishment prompted talk of Guardiola being offered fresh terms to run beyond June 2021.

    City still have an FA Cup semi-final against Arsenal and a Champions League showdown with Real Madrid on the horizon, while 2020-21 will represent the first time Guardiola has taken charge of a fifth season with one club.

    As such, speaking ahead of Wednesday's Premier League match against Bournemouth, he would rather focus upon matters on the pitch – free of the burden of looming UEFA sanctions.

    "Nothing has changed my opinion, maybe I will be able to stay here longer," Guardiola said when asked whether he would commit to a contract extension.

    "As a club, as an organisation, the people cannot understand how difficult a time it was for all the club, being under suspicion for something we have not done.

    "Hopefully people can stop talking about this – or they can go to court and prove it like we have done.

    "Now is not the time [to talk about contracts] we have one incredible month ahead of us.

    "I have one more year, for a manager it is a long, long time.

    "The decisions we thought to do before the sentence were quite similar. I was happy before and now. We have time to talk about this.

    "Now is the normal situation like every season, if the situation was uncertain I don't know what would have happened.

    "My personal situation was clear. I said a month ago I would stay and it didn't matter if we were in the Champions League, or like a lot of people here in England suggested, League Two.

    "I would have stayed here. About the future, we have an incredible four or five weeks ahead of us with the games against Arsenal and Madrid."

    Star midfielder Kevin De Bruyne did not express a similar enthusiasm for English football's fourth tier and suggested a two-year European ban would have forced him to consider his City career.

    The 29-year-old's agent, Patrick De Koster, said he welcomed the CAS verdict, although talk of a new deal at the Etihad Stadium for De Bruyne – who is contracted until 2023 in any case – might be premature at this stage

    "After the CAS verdict, we Facetimed for a moment and Kevin was very happy, very satisfied," De Koster told HBVL.

    “If you are banned from the Champions League at that age, you should think again.

    "We'll see. He now has a three-year contract in Manchester, is settled with his family and is feeling good. They have also always been very good with him. Moreover, the number of clubs that can pay him [his salary] is not that big.

    "He sees participation in the Champions League next season mainly as a bonus. But that decision doesn't mean more to him. It is not the case that we will now sign a new contract in Manchester tomorrow."

  • AkinfeYNWA? Klopp invites Wycombe striker to Liverpool trophy parade AkinfeYNWA? Klopp invites Wycombe striker to Liverpool trophy parade

    Wycombe Wanderers striker Adebayo Akinfenwa's televised plea for talks with Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp has proved successful to a certain extent – he has bagged himself an invite to the club's Premier League trophy parade.

    Akinfenwa, a long-time Liverpool fan, was part of the Wycombe side that achieved promotion to the Championship for the first time in their 133-year history thanks to Monday's 2-1 League One play-off final victory over Oxford United.

    A Wycombe cult hero, Akinfenwa's contract is due to expire at the end of the season, but in a memorable post-match interview he on reflected a difficult journey from being "technically unemployed" four years ago to winning promotion to England's second tier.

    In his speech, he said the only person who could "hit me up on WhatsApp this time is Klopp" so they could celebrate their successes together, and the German duly obliged with a congratulatory video message.

    Klopp then went one better on Tuesday, extending Akinfenwa an invitation to the club's Premier League trophy parade, when such an event is allowed to go ahead.

    "When it's possible, in the future one day," Klopp said when asked if the two will meet. "I don't know when exactly, but he is invited for the parade, 100 per cent.

    "I saw, before the video, when he was sitting in the team meeting in a Liverpool kit, which I thought was really funny. I watched the game [and] yes, he responded – he sent a video back. It's private [what he said], at least a few things in life should stay private.

    "It was nice, he was obviously really happy."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.