EPL

Solskjaer evokes spirit of PSG upset as Man United brace for Liverpool visit

By Sports Desk October 20, 2019

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer sees parallels between Manchester United's preparation for Liverpool's arrival and the lead-up to last season's Champions League win over Paris Saint-Germain.

United have been tipped to struggle on Sunday in what could be a defining game for manager Solskjaer against the Premier League leaders.

But the absence of important players, plus their status as underdogs, reminds Solskjaer of the March trip to Parc des Princes, when a late Marcus Rashford penalty gave United a 3-1 second-leg win and shock last-16 victory on away goals.

Alexis Sanchez, Anthony Martial and Jesse Lingard were unavailable on that occasion, while for Sunday's match it could be David de Gea joining Paul Pogba in the Old Trafford stands.

"I can't say who is going to be available, but we'll have 11 men out there and it reminds me a little bit of the PSG situation," Solskjaer told his club's website.

"We had loads of players out, everyone writes us off and are happy about that because, how can I say it, everyone doesn't want us to win.

"But it's Manchester United people, the Manchester United family, and we need to stick together because the 11 men out there will definitely give us what they have."

United's medical room might be just as busy as it was in March but the team's form is decidedly different.

Solskjaer's men lost 1-0 at Newcastle United in their last outing and have not posted a league win since a 1-0 home triumph over Leicester City on September 14.

Asked if the international break brought frustration, Solskjaer said: "It has and it hasn't, because I think the boys needed some time to clear their heads.

"I think for me as well, as of course I was disappointed [with the Newcastle result]. Sometimes you get over a defeat quicker than other times.

"This time we were just eager to get players back, to get some players we had out for the internationals, just to get some confidence back and we're ready to go again.

"It's the perfect game for us and of course this isn't new. It’s the one we look for every year when the fixture list comes out."

Related items

  • Should Bale leave Madrid? We are all united, says Zidane Should Bale leave Madrid? We are all united, says Zidane

    Zinedine Zidane brushed off a question about Gareth Bale's future at Real Madrid, insisting the team is united.

    Bale has played just 100 minutes for Madrid in LaLiga since the competition returned from its three-month hiatus amid the coronavirus pandemic.

    Despite not spending much time on the pitch, the 30-year-old, who remained at the club after a move to Jiangsu Suning broke down following Zidane's return last year, has continued to make headlines.

    During the 2-0 victory over Deportivo Alaves last week he was seen on camera with his face mask over his eyes, before turning and laughing with his team-mates.

    He then simulated holding a pair of binoculars in front of his face while he watched Madrid's meeting with Granada on Monday from the stands at Los Carmenes.

    Asked if Bale should leave Madrid, Zidane told a news conference: "What a question.

    "You try to put things between us, but you won't be able to. Every day you ask the same thing. You can do it; you have the right to ask what you want.

    "But we're united. Gareth, James [Rodriguez], everyone."

    Madrid will be crowned LaLiga champions if they beat Villarreal at the Estadio Alfredo Di Stefano on Thursday.

  • Chelsea new boy Ziyech not deterred by Premier League physicality Chelsea new boy Ziyech not deterred by Premier League physicality

    Chelsea's recent signing Hakim Ziyech is confident he can dispel fears that the Premier League will be too physical for him.

    Winger Ziyech completed his move from Ajax to Stamford Bridge at the start of this month after a £33.3million deal was agreed between the two clubs back in February.

    The Moroccan's creativity was evident throughout his time in the Eredivisie - where he provided at least 10 assists in each of his six previous campaigns - while he scored five times during Ajax's run to the 2018-19 Champions League semi-finals too.

    However, Ziyech's former Ajax team-mate Anwar El Ghazi - who now plays for Aston Villa - jokingly told his friend he would need to hit the gym to adjust to the demands of the Premier League.

    Ziyech is aware of the theory he may be too lightweight to thrive in the English top flight, yet he believes his intelligence can help him adapt.

    "They always told me the Premier League is a tough competition. I know it is," he told Chelsea TV.

    "They always said, 'You're physically not ready', and stuff like that.

    "But if you see in all competitions, players have the same body as me, football is just playing with your head and being smart and creating spaces, it's always in the small things."

    The 27-year-old Netherlands-born winger was in attendance at Stamford Bridge on Tuesday to watch the Blues boost their Champions League hopes by beating Norwich City 1-0.

    He will hope to be playing in Europe's elite competition next season when he is allowed to play for Chelsea, a club he grew up idolising.

    "When I was a young guy, you always want to play for a big club," he added.

    "If you look at when I was young, the players that played here, it was always a big club. I'm very happy.

    "I can remember I was playing in the youth at Heerenveen and here was playing [Didier] Drogba, [Frank] Lampard, [John] Terry, we were always for Chelsea.

    "If you look at it now, that you can play here, it means a lot to me."

  • IFAB extends option for five substitutes into 2021 IFAB extends option for five substitutes into 2021

    The International Football Association Board (IFAB) has extended the option for competitions to allow five substitutes per team in every match into 2021.

    Football's rules governing body took the decision to give competitions scheduled to be completed by the end of 2020 the option to permit five subs back in May as leagues around the world resumed following widespread coronavirus-enforced stoppages.

    Its board of directors conducted an in-depth review to determine whether to extend the option following feedback from stakeholders and an assessment of COVID-19's impact on competition calendars.

    The board took the decision to extend it to competitions set to be completed by July 31, 2021 and to international competitions scheduled in July/August 2021.

    A FIFA media release said that the reasons for giving competitions the option remain valid and that player welfare will likely continue to be impacted due to the shorter-than-usual recovery and preparation period athletes in competitions that resumed in 2020 may have before the start of the 2020-21 season.

    The release also pointed to the condensed fixture schedule that is set to be a feature of most major competitions next term due to delayed starts and major international tournaments preventing a later end to the 2020-21 campaign.

    The Premier League, LaLiga, the Bundesliga and Serie A are all set to start in September and end in May, with Ligue 1 - which will commence in August - the lone exception among the top five European leagues.

    Euro 2020 - delayed to 2021 because of the pandemic - is scheduled to begin on June 11, as is the 2021 Copa America. Both competitions are set to finish on July 11.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.