Injury setback delays Sensi return for Inter

By Sports Desk October 18, 2019

Inter midfielder Stefano Sensi is set to miss out on a reunion with Sassuolo after suffering another injury to his right thigh.

The on-loan Italy international was being reintegrated into training ahead of this weekend's Serie A fixture when he reported a "small" problem, according to an Inter statement.

An MRI scan on Friday detected a strain in the same thigh he injured in the 2-1 loss to Juventus before the international break.

Sensi lasted until the 34th minute of that match and could now miss next week's crucial Champions League clash against Borussia Dortmund, along with Sunday's trip to face the club he left in July.

"Today's tests revealed a strain to the psoas muscle," Inter's statement read. "His condition will be assessed in the next few days."

Sensi is on loan at Inter from Sassuolo but is widely expected to make the move permanent for a reported €25million fee at the end of the campaign.

The 24-year-old has been one of the key factors in the Nerazzurri's strong start under Antonio Conte, scoring three goals in seven league appearances.

Related items

  • Koeman: I am not the bad guy in Suarez-Barca movie but Messi's anger is normal Koeman: I am not the bad guy in Suarez-Barca movie but Messi's anger is normal

    Ronald Koeman insisted he was not "the bad guy" in Luis Suarez's transfer away from Barcelona, although he could understand Lionel Messi's anger at the move.

    Suarez, third on the list of all-time Barcelona goal scorers, left Camp Nou this week for Atletico Madrid.

    It was reported Suarez was one of a number of senior stars informed by new coach Koeman they would have to leave the club following an underwhelming 2019-20 season.

    But Koeman suggested some portrayals of this conversation were not entirely accurate, saying Suarez could have stayed but would have had a reduced role.

    "It seemed that I had been the bad guy in this movie, but it is not like that," Koeman said ahead of the Blaugrana's LaLiga opener against Villarreal.

    "Since the call [regarding Suarez's future], I have shown respect for him and I have always told him that it can be difficult to play but, if he stayed, he would be one of the squad.

    "Before I signed the contract, the club was thinking about things, and I have tried to support those things. They are not just decisions of the coach.

    "Luis and I respect each other and we have spoken clearly about his future. He had the opportunity to go to Atletico and I wish all the luck in the world."

    Suarez's exit prompted a furious Instagram post from captain Messi, whose own attempted departure was blocked by the club.

    Messi said Suarez did not deserve "to get kicked out like [he] did", adding he was not surprised by Barca's actions.

    Koeman responded: "It is normal for him to be upset that a friend has left, but I have no doubt about Messi. I have seen him train."

    The former Netherlands coach, who would not rule out moves for Lautaro Martinez or Memphis Depay, is not concerned by the tumultuous nature of his early Barca reign.

    "If you ask the coaches who have been at Barca, they will surely tell you that they have never had a quiet day," he said.

    "I knew that when I had to face changes I would have people in favour and others against. I knew it.

    "No problem, it is part of being in the best club in the world, although I hope there is a little more peace of mind."

  • Morata was not the third choice for Juve, says Pirlo Morata was not the third choice for Juve, says Pirlo

    Alvaro Morata was not the third-choice signing as he was always a priority for Juventus, insists head coach Andrea Pirlo. 

    Spain striker Morata sealed his return to Turin on an initial season-long deal from Atletico Madrid, with Juve retaining an option to make the deal permanent for €45million or pay an additional €10m to loan him for a further campaign. 

    Juve had been tipped to sign Luis Suarez from Barcelona before the deal broke down and he joined Atleti, while Edin Dzeko was also linked with a move from Roma. 

    But Morata arrived instead to fill a void left by Gonzalo Higuain's departure to Inter Miami, with the 27-year-old having left to re-join Real Madrid in 2016 and subsequently spending time at Chelsea and Atleti. 

    Pirlo, who started his coaching career with a convincing 3-0 win over Sampdoria last week, said the fact he previously played alongside Morata was a big draw. 

    "We were waiting for a striker and he arrived," he told a news conference ahead of the Serie A clash against Roma on Sunday. 

    "Alvaro Morata knows us well and I was fortunate enough to have played with him.  

    "He was not a third choice but one of our priorities, from a technical and tactical aspect he's what we were looking for."

    Dzeko is set to come up against Juve at Stadio Olimpico and Pirlo acknowledged the threat he poses.

    "He could have been a Juve striker, but he remains a great player," Pirlo added. "We respect him, but unfortunately he will be an opponent tomorrow."

    Pirlo has a couple of selection posers to ponder against Roma with midfielder Arthur – a close-season arrival from Barca – in contention having been an unused substitute against Sampdoria, while forward Paulo Dybala returned to training this week after a muscular issue.  

    "We've worked with Paulo Dybala, who has gradually returned with the group," Pirlo said. "Let's see how he feels today and whether he can travel to Rome. 

    "Also, Arthur is coming from a period of inactivity but has worked very well. He's settling in, from a tactical and physical point of view. 

    "He hasn't played much at Barcelona either. He needs a period of acclimatisation, he's available tomorrow and we'll see whether to let him play or not." 

  • Flick not interested in excuses as Bayern deal with busy start Flick not interested in excuses as Bayern deal with busy start

    Hansi Flick will not accept tiredness as an excuse for a poor performance as Bayern Munich cope with a hectic schedule at the start of the new season.

    The Bundesliga club secured a fourth trophy under Flick on Thursday when they defeated Sevilla 2-1 after extra time in the Super Cup, with that game taking place in Budapest.

    However, there was little chance for Bayern to celebrate their latest success considering they are back on league duty on Sunday, travelling to take on Hoffenheim.

    Flick understands that playing again less than 72 hours after facing Sevilla is tough, yet expects his players to maintain their usual high standards despite the lack of recovery time.

    "We have to see how everyone is together [in training on Saturday]," Flick said. "After that, we will set up the team that can play 100 per cent against Hoffenheim. 

    "It is of no use if we always say how broken we are – that's not my mentality. Even when you are tired, you can perform well. 

    "Fortunately, on Sunday we have the opportunity to make five substitutions again, so we will use that."

    Javi Martinez was the hero against Sevilla, scoring the winner just five minutes after his introduction from the bench in extra time.

    The Spaniard's long-term future at Bayern remains unclear – his current deal expires in 2021 – but Flick is happy to lean on a player whose time in Germany has been blighted by injuries. 

    "There is no new information," he said. "As long as he is here I will continue to plan with him.

    "Javi has done a lot for the club. When he was fit, you could always look up left him. He showed that again against Sevilla. That's how he is known."

    Having missed both the European game and the Bundesliga opener against Schalke, which Bayern won 8-0, Kingsley Coman could be involved this weekend.

    The winger underwent a second coronavirus test on Friday after a period of self-isolation, leaving Bayern waiting on the result to determine his availability.

    "He did 14 days of cyber training, but if he could play for 20 minutes it would of course help," Flick said of the Frenchman. "He would be a good option, but we have to wait and see."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.