Juventus striker Mandzukic agrees to stay out of training

By Sports Desk October 18, 2019

Mario Mandzukic's days at Juventus look to be numbered after Maurizio Sarri confirmed the forward will not take part in training unless his transfer situation changes.

Mandzukic, 33, has not played a single competitive minute since Sarri took charge at Allianz Stadium and was left off Juve's 22-man list for the Champions League.

AC Milan are rumoured to have joined Manchester United in the race for the Bianconeri outcast, who reportedly held talks with Qatari side Al Rayyan last month

Mandzukic is said to want to explore his options and an understanding has been reached for him to refrain from training, a move that reduces chances of injury ahead of a potential transfer.

However, Sarri did not entirely rule out the possibility of the Croatian returning to the fold.

"Mandzukic is not training with us, in agreement with the club," the Juve head coach told a news conference on Friday. "If the agreement changes, I am open to everything."

While the former Wolfsburg, Bayern Munich and Atletico Madrid attacker is out of the frame for now, Sarri will regain defender Danilo for Saturday's home game against Bologna.

The full-back has recovered from a thigh injury and is set to join the Aaron Ramsey in the matchday squad, the midfielder having overcome the minor muscle problem that kept him out of Wales duty.

Juve head into the weekend as Serie A leaders thanks to their 2-1 win over title rivals Inter before the international break.

The victory was seen as a vindication of the new playing style Sarri has brought to the club but he is hesitant to place too much emphasis on a single result.

"I've been living with scepticism for years, so it doesn't affect me," the ex-Chelsea boss said.

"The rankings in the table right now are not important. We have to concentrate on finding the right continuity in terms of performance.

"That game against Inter was important but it has passed, so we need to focus only on the next one.

"It's always difficult starting again after the international break. It's not easy for the players and there are a lot of risks."

Related items

  • Valverde hails reported Barcelona target Lautaro Martinez: He's a great player Valverde hails reported Barcelona target Lautaro Martinez: He's a great player

    Barcelona head coach Ernesto Valverde said Lautaro Martinez is a "great player" as the Inter star continues to be linked with the LaLiga champions.

    Inter forward Martinez has reportedly emerged as a top target for Barca, who are looking to identify a long-term heir for the aging Luis Suarez.

    Martinez has scored 13 goals across all competitions this season, including a goal away to Barca in the Champions League on October 2.

    The 22-year-old Argentina international will come up against Barca again when Inter welcome the Spanish giants to Milan on Tuesday, in a battle of first against second in Group F on the final matchday.

    Asked about Martinez on the eve of the clash, Valverde – whose Barca have already qualified for the last 16 – told reporters: "He is a great player and he's having a great season. He is quick and strong.

    "He scored a great goal in the first game at the Camp Nou. I know he is comfortable with [Romelu] Lukaku, they’ve found the right mechanism to help Inter.

    "As for Lautaro being similar to Luis Suarez, they are a little different but both are born goalscorers.

    "But Inter have so many good players, Lautaro, Lukaku, [Milan] Skriniar…"

     

  • Bologna rule out Ibrahimovic signing amid Napoli & Milan links Bologna rule out Ibrahimovic signing amid Napoli & Milan links

    Zlatan Ibrahimovic will not be joining Bologna, according to the club's director Walter Sabatini.

    Ibrahimovic had been linked with a return to Serie A via Bologna after leaving MLS outfit LA Galaxy at the end of his contract.

    But the 38-year-old striker will not be moving to Bologna amid speculation over a switch to either Napoli or former club Milan.

    "Ibrahimovic will not be coming to Bologna. He has made other choices," Sabatini told Tuttomercatoweb.

    A return to Milan has been mooted for Ibrahimovic, who won the 2011 Scudetto during his two years at San Siro.

    Italian rivals Napoli, however, have reportedly offered the ex-Manchester United and Paris Saint-Germain star an 18-month contract.

    Asked about Ibrahimovic on the eve of Napoli's Champions League clash with Genk, head coach Carlo Ancelotti told reporters on Monday: "I haven't spoken to Ibra today but I did yesterday [Sunday] evening."

    "He told me he is in Los Angeles at the moment," added Ancelotti. "He feels really good and weather conditions are just perfect there."

  • A coach's suitcase is always ready - Ancelotti 'not scared' of Gattuso replacement talk A coach's suitcase is always ready - Ancelotti 'not scared' of Gattuso replacement talk

    Carlo Ancelotti says he is "not scared" by the thought of being sacked as Napoli coach amid claims Gennaro Gattuso has already been lined up to replace him.

    Napoli have endured a turbulent campaign and are on a nine-match run without a victory since beating Salzburg on October 23, drawing seven of those games.

    Reports in Italy suggest former Milan head coach Gattuso – who played under Ancelotti with the Rossoneri – could be appointed as early as Wednesday, with Napoli chiefs running out of patience in the experienced tactician.

    The 60-year-old accepts questions will be asked on the back of a poor run of form and is "ready" for his bosses to pull the trigger.

    "The suitcase of a coach is always ready, you can never unpack it," he said at his pre-match news conference on Monday ahead of the Champions League clash with Genk.

    "I think that for a coach to be questioned in this kind of situation is completely normal. I'm ready. It's an experience I've already experienced in the past.

    "It doesn't scare me and it doesn't worry me that the club could sack me or that I could leave."

    Napoli are seventh in Serie A, eight points adrift of the top four, but can guarantee a place in the last 16 of the Champions League with a point at home to Genk on Tuesday.

    They are unbeaten in five Group E matches, taking four points off reigning European champions Liverpool along the way, and Ancelotti wants his side to carry that form into domestic matches.

    "I can't pretend - the team doesn't give what it could give," he added.

    "In Europe, we have seen another Napoli, the one I would like to see in the league as well. I am looking for solutions to get out of this difficult period.

    "The team is worried because of what they cannot do. They gave the best of themselves against Liverpool, when the weight of responsibility was less.

    "I have the feeling that tomorrow [Tuesday] we will have a great game and we will go into the next round and hopefully in first place."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.